2009/10 Ford Rangers and Towing

Hi guys,
Anyone towing heavy loads or boats with there 2009/10 ford rangers?
Have recently purchased a XLT 4x4 Auto and was surprised to learn via the owners manual and internet that they only tow 1800kgs unless load levelling devises are fitted , then the full towing capacity (2500kg)can be used, didn't know this before purchase. As we know Insurances can be voided if found to be over legal towing weights.
Im lucky that my current boat is under that mark but was looking down the track to upsizing and that would mean having to purchase these devices ($600 plus)
Was surprised how the people at ford, ie parts and service guys don't really know there stuff when l was quizzing them on this the other day.
Also the sales guys not disclosing this when asked of the cars towing capacity when purchasing, but thats another story.
Does anyone use these devices towing boats?
cheers Paul

Paul_86's picture

Date Joined: 27/03/09

I tow my boat with my manual

Wed, 2013-05-08 19:38

I tow my boat with my manual 08 ranger xlt, it's well under those weights tho at just under 1 tonne. but have pulled a 2tonne excavator (2.5t with trailer) around a few times. Tows fine but chews the juice a bit, 15L per 100km's. I thought the max was 3t?! well atleast I payed extra to get a 3t tow bar put on it brand new from the dealer, don't think it has any load leveling devices tho. Maybe I should look into that. But yeah does a pretty good job towing, had the car and boat fully loaded and headed upto warroora and ningaloo station a few times. Pulled it through the dirt track and along the beach well. There only weak spot is the clutch, but being an auto you won't have that problem

Paul H's picture

Date Joined: 18/01/07

Interesting I was looking at

Wed, 2013-05-08 20:45

Interesting I was looking at twincabs (including Ranger) myself mainly for their extra towing capacity.  My boat loaded up with gear for trips is probably around 1.8 tonne.

Currently driving a VZ V8 Commydoor which is rated to 2100kg (auto) and has more power and not lacking in tourqe by any means (CAI, tuned and exhaust).  Will keep that in mind if I keep looking.  Commy huge plus for all my city/country driving for work.

15L per 100km I guess thats the downside on my Commy  I can chew that when not towing (when not heavy on the foot get around 12L/100 general city driving - around 9.5-10L/100 in country when not towing - Country towing 17-19L/100 from memory depending on headwinds/hills etc - but no problems passing roadtrains up hills etc).

Cheers

Paul

Youtube Channel  -  FishOnLine Productions

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbUVNa-ViyGm_FTDSv4Nqzg/videos

Date Joined: 09/10/06

Thanks for responding guys.

Wed, 2013-05-08 21:33

Thanks for responding guys.  yeah the auto only tows 2500 kgs.  l too have the 3000kg heavy tow  hitch it comes standard on the xlt. its the tounge thats the problem.  the standard tounge only gives the car a 1800kg rating.  ford says a load levelling kit is required over 1800kgs. 

paul86 it would be interesting what your owners manual says. l owned an 2007 ranger and towed over 2000kgs as l was under the impression it had a heavy duty tow pack according to the sales man. l just never checked the manual. by the sounds of it l was towing illegally. 

Paul H's picture

Date Joined: 18/01/07

Could be a valid legal

Thu, 2013-05-09 15:11

Could be a valid legal arguement against the insurer/yard (if it got to that stage) if the advertising spruiked a 2500kg rating and you were under this with the rest being hidden in the fine print.

Youtube Channel  -  FishOnLine Productions

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbUVNa-ViyGm_FTDSv4Nqzg/videos