2017 Abrolhos Trip

So currently in the early stages of planning another trip to the Abrolhos islands Easter group, thinking about heading end of march early april... Was thinking around easter in april but was advised it gets pretty busy over there that time of year. Last time we went over for 5 days, but this time I think we will only do the 3.

Anyway last time we went I was surprised that we couldnt find crays anywhere apart from the odd 1 or 2... I think we were looking in the wrong areas, we were mainly on the coral bombies. I was told to look for limestone ledges but couldnt find any at all haha. Also dhuies, caught one on snapper bank on the way over but put him back because we thought we would get a few but didnt see a single one for the rest of the trip.

Anyway bit of a long shot because fishos generally keep their cards pretty close to their chest, however if anyone can assist in advising me where to get crays and dhuies around the easter islands I can in return assist with info whether its Abrolhos or metro.

Also if any other boatie is thinking about heading over and want tips, spots or even if they want to tag along on our trip just let me know.

Cheers

I go boating not fishing

Poppy's picture

Date Joined: 19/01/13

Abbrolhos

Sun, 2017-02-12 11:21

Hi Piggy.

I've booked a 4 day trip to the islands with Mark Ridley, on Reel Affair.  I took the big step of faith and booked the boat with only one of my sons as a certain starter.  Anyway, we filled the other 8 spots without drama, so I don't have to re-mortgage the house.  Mark comes very highly recommended as an Abrolhos skipper, so I can't wait for 18 April to come.

Baz

A pessimist is never disapointed

Piggy's picture

Date Joined: 24/08/12

Awesome!

Sun, 2017-02-12 12:48

Awesome work bud, you will have a ball. Ive done fishing charters over there before but prefer taking my own boat and doing our own thing!

Good luck mate you will love it

I go boating not fishing

Date Joined: 12/03/13

Heaps of crazy around, but

Sun, 2017-02-12 21:39

Heaps of crazy around, but you do have to look in the right places... they're not usually the obvious ones either.

will shoot you a PM now 

Date Joined: 12/03/13

Heaps of crazy around, but

Sun, 2017-02-12 21:39

Heaps of crazy around, but you do have to look in the right places... they're not usually the obvious ones either.

will shoot you a PM now 

ranmar850's picture

Date Joined: 12/08/12

Ignore the staghorn country.

Sun, 2017-02-12 21:44

Look for plate corals and limestone ledges

Piggy's picture

Date Joined: 24/08/12

Cheers Rozza!

Mon, 2017-02-13 07:14

Cheers for the advice Rozza!

Yeah we found heaps of plate coral and heaps of coral trout but unfortunately no crays!

Hopefully this time we will go better!!!

I go boating not fishing

hardyakker's picture

Date Joined: 20/05/13

Where to go

Thu, 2017-03-09 21:35

Piggy Ive got to take you up on that mate! We are heading over around the same time, whenever the weathers right. its our second trip we did the pelsart group last year and loved it sick so i think we have the basics covered,but Im pretty keen to hear any tips you might have! Where would you recommend mooring for best fishing access, and alternatively for cover? We dont have space for the scuba gear but we ll be keen for a free dive if you wanna share where the lobbys hide! Also any general area fishing grounds for demersals OR pelagics!

Lifes better fishin'

hardyakker's picture

Date Joined: 20/05/13

Where to go

Thu, 2017-03-09 21:35

Piggy Ive got to take you up on that mate! We are heading over around the same time, whenever the weathers right. its our second trip we did the pelsart group last year and loved it sick so i think we have the basics covered,but Im pretty keen to hear any tips you might have! Where would you recommend mooring for best fishing access, and alternatively for cover? We dont have space for the scuba gear but we ll be keen for a free dive if you wanna share where the lobbys hide! Also any general area fishing grounds for demersals OR pelagics!

Lifes better fishin'

t bone's picture

Date Joined: 20/04/14

Always keen to assist.. & drink beer :)

Fri, 2017-03-10 07:36

Gday bud.

Im based in Gero and if im home whilst your up there & the weather is nice, ill be over there anyhow. Have ya got somewhere to park up ya car/Trailer for the week your over there?

Flick us a PM if wanna chat mate.

DTrain's picture

Date Joined: 10/02/12

There are some moorings near

Fri, 2017-03-10 11:00

There are some moorings near White Bank which is a little bit north of where Rat island is. I stayed there on a charter boat last year and we spent the evenings catching heaps of squid. We also put some big floating baits out and caught a couple of sharks which kept us entertained. It's in a nice sheltered spot too.

This spot here: https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-28.6997788,113.780146,675m/data=!3m1!1e3

Matts123's picture

Date Joined: 13/11/16

Have thought about doing

Fri, 2017-03-10 17:13

Have thought about doing such a trip but worried about the size of my boat. 

I have a 5.1m quintrex seaspirit. Is this big enough to hit the Abrolhos? 

Date Joined: 18/01/12

You could do it in a tinny

Fri, 2017-03-10 18:47

You could do it in a tinny if the weather was good, but it has a habit of blowing its ass off over there.

5.1 Id probably draw the line a little over that.
Personally if Im doing it solo Id always have a an auxiliary unless it the real busy period.

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.