295 Transducers

Hi All,

Looking at 2 or 3 Kw transducer options for Deepwater fishing (350-700m) with a 295. Have a roller trailer 26ft glass boat and want to avoid through hull based on the peception of  loss of signal strength. Has anyone had any experience with through hull in the bigger transducers i know there is signal loss but has anyone quantified the loss of signal as i can't find any reference to actual practical usage. Currently running Raymarine 1 Kw in a wet box and can get the bottom to 450m but lose signal when the boats rocks. Still unsure if this is due to loss of power (with the depth) or bubbles under the hull (or both)

Can anyone put up a couple of pics of their transducers in their hulls / fairing blocks / poles as its really hard to know what the options are with out seeing the various set ups and pro's and cons. Would apppreciate knowing what transducer it is. 

Also have heard recently that the 3Kw Hondex transducers are really good and give better bottom discrimination and definition of fish than the Furuno/ Airmar offereings. What is everyone using for deep water? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, can't afford to mess it up

Cheers

Southy

Bryce Day's picture

Date Joined: 01/06/15

try wet box first if that

Thu, 2015-08-20 18:34

try wet box first if that doesn't work you can use the same transducer to wet face it as it still has the recessed face. if that don't work the last resort is to put it on a pole out the back with all the sea birds.

50khz -38khz be the go

keep it out the way of bubbles!

don't know to much about signal loss.

good luck

MattMiller's picture

Date Joined: 15/06/09

Have you

Thu, 2015-08-20 18:43

spoken to the lads at Taylor Marine? They're the WA Furuno dealer.

Bryce Day's picture

2nd that they are good!

Thu, 2015-08-20 20:26

2nd that they are good!

JohnF's picture

Date Joined: 07/07/10

I run the SS264 1kW wet face,

Thu, 2015-08-20 19:18

I run the SS264 1kW wet face, Langa runs M260 shoot through and we alternate boats on the same ground so have a good feel of the loss issue, at least with 1 kW.

With perfect conditions, my wet faced tranny probably gets another 50m deep, but does not really give much better clarity or definition.

With normal conditions out there (a bit of rock and roll), Langa's works much better mainly as his 285 Conquest weights twice my 235 Conquest hence does not rock as much.

In my opinion, the weight and stability of the boat (to reduce the beam flashing around all over the place) and tranny location (to ensure no bubbles) is much more important than wet face or wet box.

With a small boat, I would be very wary of using a narrow beam tranny out wide, as the movement of the boat may result in very poor readings......

Boston Whaler 235 Conquest......getting the flogging it was built for.

Date Joined: 02/11/09

A pocket mount would be good

Thu, 2015-08-20 20:19

A pocket mount would be good for your application, the installer glasses a mould of your transducer, then cuts a hole in the hull and glasses the mould into the centerline of your hull. You then mount the transducer inside it so it sits flush with the hull. Did it on my last boat and it worked really well. A good 1kw chirp is at least 2x better then traditional, mine would read over 1000m easy with really good target seperation and definition. You definatly want the correct transducer ie dont pocket mount a fairing transducer.

Cheers

Bryce Day's picture

Got any screen shots of the

Thu, 2015-08-20 20:24

Got any screen shots of the 1kw chirp reading 1000m?

t bone's picture

Date Joined: 20/04/14

soon hopefully

Sat, 2015-09-19 09:49

Im hoping to get out over the edge to trial my new CHIRP setup with 1kw tranny... come for some beers and have a look.. lol

I will try to get them

Thu, 2015-08-20 20:30

I will try to get them uploaded, on a different computer. Have plenty of good pics at 750+m on ledges too, this was with a Garmin 8012 / GSD26 / PM265LH combo. 

Date Joined: 20/08/10

Following on from JohnF our

Thu, 2015-08-20 20:50

Following on from JohnF our 1kW TDs both start to run out of puff in around 450 to 500m in reasonable conditions so he gets 10% more sounding depth with his wet face in 500m of water with similar resolution.

Date Joined: 25/03/09

Luke I think you may be

Thu, 2015-08-20 21:12

Luke I think you may be pulling yourself with a 1 kW in 1000 meters but let's see the footage to prove me wrong , I'm waiting 

Really geroge? what would I

Thu, 2015-08-20 21:28

Really geroge? what would I gain from coming on here and lying about the performace? I got more then 1000m with it, the deepest I went was 1200 and it didn't miss a beat, clear as a bell with almost no clutter. A 8 element chirp 1kw transducer is completely different to a 1kw traditional.

reece's picture

Date Joined: 10/07/08

Iv used a Noosa cat with a

Fri, 2015-08-21 04:25

Iv used a Noosa cat with a shoot through 3kw 38hz. Reads fish in 500m like your in 50m but being a cat it had a big flat area to glass it in. Iv got a 2kw 38 in a poly box on a drop down pole. Iv had is showing fish in 750m but fishing that deep is a lot of waiting coming up and down. You can get just as good if not better 400-550m. 

If you have a look through my posts you will see screen shots, my drop down set up ect.. 

A lot of people expect to much out of there set up though. Wanting to do 20knts in 400-500m and still see fish and structure! 

Any one free to help me pull my drum lines tomorrow? 

southpoint's picture

Date Joined: 30/03/11

Thanks all for your input,

Fri, 2015-08-21 10:33

Thanks all for your input, there are some good points here. Its really interesting seeing everyones set-ups and opinions. I will definately be going through the boys at Taylors they are great guys and have always been very helpful but its always nice just to speak to people that have actually used the gear as each boat has its set up limitations and problems to work around. I am thinkning i might have to modify my trailer to get it set up as i want.

John / Langa - are you using a 585/7 or 295?

I have also considered going down the new series 2 Raymarine Chirp route with a CP570 and a R109 but the transducer is massive so not really suitable for a small boat. Shoot through was an option but i still feel CHIRP is "unproven" and there seems to be a fair bit of debate if indeed it is really actually CHIRP or just a poor cousin. I think CHIRP will be the future but its hard to go past a 295 as a) it works and b) its well proven 

I have a mate with a bigger boat and he has a TZ12 + 2 and 3 KW set up and he gets solid and well defined bottom and structure in 1200-1500m at 20+ knots using this gear, obiously lots of space and stability from a big rig but it comes at a cost and needs space. 

The biggest issue is that there is not a lot of info available regarding sounders and transducer options as people tend to stick to the  known rather than looking at new stuff (obviously as it works) Reading hull truth and other sites there is bits and pieces of info but its hard to get specific answers to specific questions.  

With regard transducers in the 2 and 3 kw power rating what are peoples thoughts on the best option in terms of cone angle and frequency ? Specifically for deep water fishing in 350 -500 and for finding good structure in 700m for swords etc

Appreciate the help 

Cheers

Bryce Day's picture

turn your transducer so the

Fri, 2015-08-21 11:57

turn your transducer so the wide port starboard cone angle is facing the bow/stern of your boat.

ranmar850's picture

Date Joined: 12/08/12

Drop downs are the ultimate

Fri, 2015-08-21 13:01

Belive it or not, we were running drop downs on crayboats back in the eighties and nineties to get good pictures in absolute shit conditioins. We were, of course, having to work regardless how bad it was, and its not much fun setting pots when you can't get a picture. They were hullmounted next to the keel, where they had previously been mounted in fairing blocks. Main issue was forgetting they were down and snagging ropes.( and bending the tube they were mounted on) We enventually went to keel-mounted, of course.. I was running a drop down on a 16 footer back then, too. Worked well, you can't beat drop downs for a good picture, just can be a PITA to manage.

Date Joined: 25/03/09

Fri, 2015-08-21 16:19

Date Joined: 25/08/06

Furuno v Raymarine

Mon, 2015-08-24 09:52

Hey Southy,

Im looking into the same thing you are at the moment. My boat is a 255 conquest and I am currently running Raymarine - 1kw chirp wet box and a CP450C module. If it fits, which I think it will, I think I may try installing the new CP570 in the way that Luke mentioned (pocket mount) 3kw transducer even though the module that is matched can only cope with a 2kw from Raymarine, not sure why they do this. I was looking into the Furuno as well but 1) it wont fit my dash because I have 2 large E95 ray marine display screens already 2) although it is proven technology I don't really want to put this big old looking screen on the dash when there is the latest technology out there. Im doing this for the purpose of deep water fishing but I am concerned that I am going to loose the great image I get in less than 200m which I can pick up at 30 knots.

Date Joined: 20/08/10

I have a DSM300 module to

Mon, 2015-08-24 14:05

I have a DSM300 module to Raymarine E80 chartplotter setup, JohnF has the 587.