4 blade prop for a Trophy 2052 WA

Anyone had any experience with putting a 4 blade stainless prop on their Trophy? Mine is a 4.3 MPI V6 and has a 14.25 x 19p ally prop on it but it is sluggish as hell getting up on the plane and even more so if I have 4 people on board.... I have been talking to a few boating mates and all their reactions were- go the 4 blade prop.... as they aren't cheap I was going to keep an eye out for a second hand one but I have read conflicting write ups on which one to use ie drop to 18p to account for the 4th blade... I know the best thing to do would be go to a dealer but if I can get one second hand then it would be a bit cheeky asking them for the information and not buying it there so if anyone here has already done it I would be greatfull if you could tell me which prop you used and if you found it to make a big difference...

Thanks in advance... 

NEVER PUSH YOUR GRANNY WHEN SHE'S SHAVING

davidbland50's picture

Date Joined: 24/07/11

Good idea

Sat, 2012-09-08 17:11

I don't have a Trophy but like you mine was a bit sluggish on holeshot. I went and saw Just Propellors in Osborne Park and went from a 15x17 3 blade aluminium prop up to a 14.5x17 4 blade and was quite amazed at the difference. Holeshot was not a problem with any number of people on board, much better response in rough weather and maintaining cruising speed of 26knots a noticeable reduction in fuel consumption ie. averaging 0.2-0.4 km/lt better. The only drawback I have been told is she may use more fuel at wot but to be honest 26 knots is plenty for me.

Wherever you go, there you are

mrwinta's picture

Date Joined: 14/01/10

ah well that sounds very

Sat, 2012-09-08 17:30

ah well that sounds very positive... were they able to confidently calculate which prop would work best for your rig?

I am not against buying new, just thinking as I don't need one in a big hurry then I may as well look for a second hand one on gumtree etc... not many about though so will probably give JP a visit one day.... 

Vinesh87's picture

Date Joined: 02/04/11

Have you tried this

Sat, 2012-09-08 20:20
davidbland50's picture

Date Joined: 24/07/11

Yep

Mon, 2012-09-10 22:15

As soon as I told the guy what my problem was, he confidently advised me that a prop as beforementioned was the way to go. As I said, his advice proved right.

Wherever you go, there you are

mrwinta's picture

Date Joined: 14/01/10

couldn't help myself... I

Tue, 2012-10-09 18:07

couldn't help myself... I drove up to JP and they hooked me up with an 3 blade 18p Stainless and the difference is great! it is just like a new boat! It seems to rev out ok - 4500rpm but I think I have sacrificed a bit of fuel economy and top end speed but like I say I am very happy with the end result so thanks for the recommendation

Date Joined: 21/02/08

4500rpm seems a bit

Tue, 2012-10-09 18:10

4500rpm seems a bit underdone.