4x4 Question - 2007 Grand Vitara on Beach

Wanting to do some beach fishing around perth (1.5 hours each way doesn't matter)

I want to do some beach driving but am thinking white hills and the like will be too full on for the car I'm driving (07 grand vitara 2.7 v6)

Can anyone recommend some places I could take the vitara out on the beach and have a fish?

cheers

Freezer is empty!

carnarvonite's picture

Date Joined: 24/07/07

Tyres down

Tue, 2014-01-21 11:55

With the tyres down around 16-18 psi or less if the beach is soft, you should be right to get in to most spots depending on ground clearance.

Make sure you have a good quality compressor to pump them back up, el cheapos may seem like a good thing at the time but they don't last

Date Joined: 04/04/11

It's stock ground clearance

Tue, 2014-01-21 12:05

It's stock ground clearance with just some maxxis AT tyres

Freezer is empty!

Vinesh87's picture

Date Joined: 02/04/11

in case you didnt know you

Tue, 2014-01-21 12:13

in case you didnt know you need your foot on the brake and clutch you put it in 4wd haha. Sounds stupid I know but its caught a couple of people out in the vitara! 

It's an Auto :)

Tue, 2014-01-21 12:17

It's an Auto :)

Freezer is empty!

Torzar's picture

Date Joined: 24/04/12

+1 to what carnarvonite

Tue, 2014-01-21 12:46

+1 to what carnarvonite said... let your tyres down and pick your lines and you'l have no worries at all those little vitaras go good!

Date Joined: 09/08/09

I’ve done White Hills in RAV4

Tue, 2014-01-21 14:43

I’ve done White Hills in RAV4 few times. Bit challenging to get in and out, because the sand is soft, but once you pass that, it’s ok. And don’t forget a shovel, helps when you need to dig yourself out.

Diesel80's picture

Date Joined: 29/08/13

You will p1ss it in

Tue, 2014-01-21 16:13

So long as you have sufficient offroading experience (ie know what you are doing and how to unstuck yourself).

If you want to practice / learn, the sandbowl at Gnangara Pines (for licensed road vehicles only) is an excellent training ground.

Cheers,

D80

Member of the Offshore Angling Club of WA
www.beachfishingwa.org.au

DTrain's picture

Date Joined: 10/02/12

My mate took his one on the

Tue, 2014-01-21 16:52

My mate took his one on the beach once and he had some issues with the traction/stability control kicking in on the soft sand. (The front brakes would randomly come on and slow the car right down).

There's a button thats supposed to turn it off but my friend couldn't get it working. Before you go have a look at the user manual and find out how to turn the traction control off because the car will drive better on soft sand without it.

If it's your first time out try and go with a friend and take a snatch strap and shackles just in case.

TorquenFish's picture

Date Joined: 30/12/12

Pull the ABS relay from the

Wed, 2014-02-05 08:56

Pull the ABS relay from the engine bay fuse box. Do the same in my Lexus LX470, works a treat.

Swompa's picture

Date Joined: 14/10/12

Lower the pressure and if

Tue, 2014-01-21 19:36

Lower the pressure and if it's anything like is sibling the Sierra, it should handle it fine.

Cheers boys Used to have a

Wed, 2014-01-22 08:51

Cheers boys

Used to have a hilux surf and 80 series landy but wasn't sure about this little thing, will just smash it and see

Freezer is empty!

Date Joined: 03/03/10

ahhh yes

Thu, 2014-01-23 18:44

the old suzi I had an early one that originally came out with a two stroke engine , the bloke I bought it of had shoe horned a corolla engine into it was a scary beast the speedos on those early suzis only went to 120 ks and it was so easy to wind it of the clock (but was scary) but that little beast went any where of road I so wish I had never sold it

Swompa's picture

Date Joined: 14/10/12

I had an 88 SWB Patrol and

Tue, 2014-01-28 13:32

I had an 88 SWB Patrol and upgraded to a 2010 Navara as I needed a grown ups car. Wish I kept it.

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

Had a bloke up our way on

Tue, 2014-01-28 17:57

Had a bloke up our way on the weekend with a brand new Jeep Cherokee, beautiful car but didn't have a clue on the sand. Had it up to the axles, tyres down but he couldn't figure it out. Hmmm a mate suggested turning the traction control off and the thing vritualy walked out. Traction control is for hard road surfaces not sand. Read the manuals that come with the cars! That's what they're for. You shouldn't have any dramas Chrono. Check the water line on the beach for incoming tide. I've seen a few up our way sucumb to the ocean ;).

Love the West!

Date Joined: 22/01/10

Ford Kuga Trend

Wed, 2014-01-29 17:48

I have a Ford Kuga Trend AWD, don't know if i can turn traction control off??   

SEAFORCE CORAL BAY's picture

Date Joined: 09/12/13

We have a 09 Vitara, sorry I meant my missus has a 09 Vitara.

Thu, 2014-01-30 14:53

We have a 09 Vitara, sorry I meat my missus has a 09 Vitara.

In high range the traction control works by limitting power, so as soon as you hit the sand it dies. But in low range this is turned off and it still runs the breaking side of the the traction control. This works really well by applying the breaks to what ever wheel is spinning. Have got video of the thing right up on 3 wheels with the wheel in the air locked by the breaks putting all the power to the other 3. Make sure you have no more than 18-20 psi in your tyres and it will go allmost anywhere on sand. We have been to nearly everything between Gnarloo to Exmouth with ours and have not found anything it couldn't handle. When we have run in to trouble we have allways managed to get out with just a shovel, set of maxtrax and dropping the tyres, never been snatched yet (touch wood).

Only problem is the groud clearance, but it seems to have enougth traction to get past that. Most people know when we have been some where because the track has been neatly leveled in the middle by our undercarrige. But watch out for grass. Being lower than most 4WD it cuts the grass that bit shorter wich has lead to ours catching fire twice now.

50ft Westcoaster "Valiant" - Coral Bay - Exmouth - Gnaraloo - Botton - Game - Sport - Deep Drop - Swordfish

2017 EGFC Billfish Bonanza - Campion Team Marlin - Campion Team Combined - 8/8/5 - 4 Billfish Species        

0429 034 540 / / www.seaforcecharters.com.au

Date Joined: 10/02/14

Disco 1

Tue, 2014-02-11 10:00

I cop some flak from people whenever i say this but my Disco 1 has got me to some amazing places. that thing is a tractor.

in terms of beach driving though the vitara should be pretty good as long as you let your tyres down. quite light as well if you need to shake it out. as long as you are a good driver and know the principles of beach driving you should be fine. most the inland tracks off the beach are fairly compacted and quite easy. the only problem is the beach.

mate had a small 4wd came with me once and had aluminium guards under most of the car. when we came back to the road and were pumping our tyres up the aluminium was polished to a perfect mirror finish. my mrs could do her make up laying down.

PS im new here. hello to everyone

Larry

Give me a fish and I will eat for a day, teach me to fish and I will starve to death.

MandurahMatt's picture

Date Joined: 18/09/13

Any 4x4 with duel range

Tue, 2014-02-11 10:26

Any 4x4 with duel range transfer case (high & low range) is more than capable of going on the beach, like mentioned above tyre presure is the key, 15psi should get you along fine, traction control will only hinder you if your tyre presure is too high causing exsess wheel spin. Make sure you have a compressor as driveing on the hwy with low presure is both dangerous and will stuff your tyres. 

Whitehills has some very good fishing, find some of the reefy sections and fish the gutters that come off the reef onto the sand at the ends of the reef.

Bewdey Fellaz

MandurahMatt's picture

Date Joined: 18/09/13

If your inexperienced at

Tue, 2014-02-11 10:27

If your inexperienced at beach driveing never go alone.

Bewdey Fellaz