Advice 420 dory

Recently purchased a new bare hull 420 dory for a weekend away/travelling rig. I'm currently in the process of fitting it out to the way i want it with sounders and such and will be looking it power it soon.

Has any one have any opinions on powering a dory, what work for them and what didn't, what could've/would've been better and such?

We hired a 420 last year and took it for a spin off tantabiddi it was powered with a 25 4st honda and did well with two plus icebox and two dive kits.

Budget is around 3k give or take a couple of hundred so will go a two stroke preferably a yamaha as my 5m boat i repowered with a yamaha 70 a few years ago and have never had an issue so i trust the brand.

Also main features I want is easy access gear selector, needs a alternator/rectifier to keep the battery charged to run the electrics, brand new and price!

So far the winner is the 25st 2 carb yammie unless i can be persuaded by those with expiriences.

Main  questions i have are:

Is it worth sacraficing the exta carb for 5 more HP

Mercs have the gear selector it the throttle which is a plus but i have no expiriences with running portable merc

Mariner and CV yammies the selector is on the side of the motor=bad

Standard Yamaha gear selector is at base of tiller= good!

I've done the ringing around dealers for the best prices and anyway the options are:

2 cylinder 1 carb

30hp merc elecrtic start at 3590

30hp mariner 2890 +200 to be fitted with rectifier 3090

25hp cv yamaha 3100 plus 150 for rectifier

30hp cv yamaha 3500 plus 150

2cylinder 2 carb

25hp yamaha 3300 altenator/rectifier standard

3cyl

30hp yamaha alt/rect standard 3900

What would you do? what have you done? what would u do different?

Input greatly appreciated

Thanks

Dave :)

Dave J.

The_Wanderer's picture

Date Joined: 24/09/08

If I were you I'd stick with

Sun, 2010-04-11 12:28

If I were you I'd stick with the yamaha why change if you know and trust the brand? It also means you can use all the same oils that your larger 70hp. If it was me i'd prefer to have more HP so I'd go the the 30hp over the 25.

HTH

Ben   

Date Joined: 04/11/09

we have a

Sun, 2010-04-11 12:38

30hp mariner and it has never let us down, its a good engine easy to operate and does not cost that much for how good it is but why get a 25hp when for another $250 to $750 get a 30hp which will have a better top end

take note mercury, mariner and tohatsu (up to 30hp) are the exact same engines just with different plastic colours

if you have extra cash i think the best option would be to get the yamaha 30hp with 3 cylinders and dual carbs because it would idle a bit smoother and you would trust it a bit more than you would a merc or mariner

but why is have the gear shift on the side hard for you?, its not that far of a reach     

cudbfishn's picture

Date Joined: 06/04/09

After having evinrudes

Sun, 2010-04-11 12:56

After having evinrudes (older ones mind you) mariners mercs and yammies. I will not buy anything other than a yammie. we blew the mariner and merc up within 6 months and traded up to a yammie. best thing we ever did. sold boat 3 years back and its still goin strong. all motors were 15hp. we used to scurf behind the boat on a bodyboard, so we treated them pretty harsh.

Reefmonkey's picture

Date Joined: 22/09/08

awesome

Sun, 2010-04-11 14:18

Thanks for the input guys. Yea I am pretty much sold on the yamahas but have been advised by some to stay away from the cv models if i can afford it as they idle rough being a single carb and chew through fuel more so than the twin carb, so i would assume the mariners and mercs would would be the same deal being the same set up motor. Only reason i'll go for the 25 over the 30 yam is the cost will be too far out of what i want to spend. Up north the 25 honda got us up to 20knots with about 200kg in the boat. pretty happy with twenty knots as i'm not lookin for a speed machine just a capable boat.

Still interested in peoples experiences tho all input greatly appreciated.

Dave J.

Date Joined: 01/02/10

Mate has the 420 with a 40

Sun, 2010-04-11 14:21

Mate has the 420 with a 40 Yammie. What a sweet little creek rig that thing is. Really goes quite well.

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

brenz's picture

Date Joined: 15/06/06

get a yammy have run

Sun, 2010-04-11 14:23

get a yammy have run everything from hondas to yammys evinrude to merc and the yammys are a far better motor
will be getting 1 for my boat when the $ allow me

Northwest's picture

Date Joined: 06/03/08

I baught a 420 dory

Sun, 2010-04-11 14:50

I baught a 420 dory last year and im still in the process of pimping it up!!! I am currently running a 20 evinrude (ran out of money lol) but IMO forget 25 or 30 NEED more power. GO the 40hp thats what i will be upgrading to once i find a decent one. DONT get a 4stroke ppl will disagree but on a boat this size weight is everything and by goin 2 stroke u can save up to  about 35kg. Might not think its much but everything adds up. 

as for upgrades.. i dont recommend a side console, id go a center console for stability. Railing is a real good thing to have, most places charge between 250-350 per side. Im still to get some more welding done.. (infloor fuel tank... extra supports for bream decks)

Il post up some more pics once i add a few things. My goal is to pimp it up so dat it looks liki a mini tin can crayboat lol.

f#$$%n nice

Sun, 2010-04-11 19:09

rig northwest i would go for a 40hp aswell if i had a boat like that because you dont want to waste valuable fishing time just getting out there

but i think the console is a bit to big for the boatLaughing

Northwest's picture

Date Joined: 06/03/08

cheers.. plenty of space for

Sun, 2010-04-11 15:22

cheers.. plenty of space even with the console.. and very stable. originally console was designed for two hds 7 side by side (flush mount).. but ive decided to go with a hds 7 and a 22inch dell touchscreen which i will waterproof with silicon and connect it to oziexplorer gps software. Now i just got to wait for da money to come in :(

Date Joined: 27/03/07

more is more

Sun, 2010-04-11 16:26

go the 30 at least.
i got the 30hp merc lightning (tohatsu) on a 385 and its a hooter.
it is pretty agricultural and idles rough, no frills. goes a treat and requires no love so we get along fine.
go flat out all day on 25L so fuel really isn't much of a concern if you ask me (save 5 bux maybe if it was more economical)
but i reckon you're mad to compromise on your motor for a few hundred bux. when you need to go, you want it to GO right?
good luck either way - look forward to some piccies

PJAY's picture

Date Joined: 12/05/09

i had a 420 stacer with a

Sun, 2010-04-11 18:58

i had a 420 stacer with a 30hp cv yammie on it.......loaded up with two blokes on board it was okay but struggled a little so i upgraded to a cv 40.....huge difference in power and top end....it flew.....so rather than say later maybe i should have gone the 40.......just do it...

The Kimberley....perfect one day and more perfect the next!!!

i know samC

Sun, 2010-04-11 19:18

had a 4.2m tinny with a 25hp yamaha (not CV) you could pm him you want to find out more info about it

click here if you want to see his boat and get some ideas on how your gonna fitout yours

http://fishwrecked.com/forum/sale-42m-stessco-centre-console
Reefmonkey's picture

Thanks

Sun, 2010-04-11 19:25

yea might look him up. this has been months and months of day dreaming and slackin of at work how i'm gonna fit out this little guy, gotta good idea wat i'll do but i'll check it out,thanks. Also i'll post up some pics wen it all comes together for sure!

Dave J.

Date Joined: 08/01/09

you might want to consider

Sun, 2010-04-11 21:06

the weight you add when fitting it out. ply floors are weighty,ect,ect. personally i would go a 40h/p and be done with it. Extra h/p would be good just incase you get caught out in a bit of weather. less travel time for the arvo quick fish as well.

FEEEISH ONNN!!!

Reefmonkey's picture

hmm

Sun, 2010-04-11 19:22

thanks all for the input, would love the 40 but the savings account wouldn't! thinkin why not just dip into the do not touch fund and go for the 3cyl 30 yam, only gonna end up spendin it on somethin else boat related anyway right! many things to ponder..... Northwest sweet looking set up indeed! mine tho i'm keen on the open boat layout style keep it simple and easy. still got my regent for any serious work, this will just be for quick trips out and takin away. If im keen for a herring bash after work hook it up and i'm off kinda thing.

Once again thanks all for the input!

Dave J.

grayzeee's picture

Date Joined: 09/07/09

def the 3 cylinder. can't

Sun, 2010-04-11 20:44

def the 3 cylinder.

can't agree with brenz tho

yammy are a great no frills motor , but no way  "far better than honda"

i had the cv40 yammy on my 420. actually only got 24 knots out of it with 3 on board

If I spent half as long fishing , as I do reading this bloody forum , I'd be twice the fisherman I am. 

big john's picture

Date Joined: 20/07/06

3 cyl 30 Yam

Sun, 2010-04-11 21:04

Sweet as a nut. Had one on a 410 bermuda, smooth and plenty of get up and go.

WA based manufacturer and supplier of premium leadhead jigs, fligs, bucktail jigs, 'bulletproof' soft plastic jig heads and XOS bullet jig heads.

Jigs available online in my web store!

Lamby's picture

Date Joined: 04/08/09

has the missus kicked u out

Sun, 2010-04-11 21:17

has the missus kicked u out the genesis mate?

Reefmonkey's picture

Ha yea she's got her

Sun, 2010-04-11 23:17

Ha yea she's got her confidence up now so i've been demoted from chaffuer to deckie and parking/docking guy haha. Love takin the genesis out but she's still honeymooning with it (and rightfully so i would if i owned it)but every trip out we come back its hose, soap, sponge,hose, shammie, polish, inox then stand around admiring it for half an hour in front of the neighbours. I want somethin i can give a quick squirt with the hose and go pass out on the couch :)

Dave J.

Lamby's picture

Date Joined: 04/08/09

hahaha classic demotion

Mon, 2010-04-12 22:34

hahaha classic demotion

wide open's picture

Date Joined: 24/12/09

whats wrong with a single carb

Sun, 2010-04-11 22:04

nothing wrong with them

but if you want to go yamaha and they have dual carbs go for it, the yamahas are awesome engines and are very reliable

i've got a 30hp mariner 2 stroke and its been very good so far with no problems and find its idleing fine

its a carb 2 stroke its not gonna idle like a EFI 4 stroke

i love the sound of the nice rough idle the mariner has, its rough but its strong and doesnt feel like its going to die

Reefmonkey's picture

Thanks all

Wed, 2010-04-21 16:17

Thanks to all who took the time to comment and share expiriences, it was much appreciated and swayed me towards wat i think was a better option just needed to justify spending the cash.

Went for the yamaha 3cyl 30hp and certainly thhink i got the the best motor in the 25-30 range as far as 2 strokes go, the 40 would've been sweet but at 5k was too far out of my price range. I reckon the 30 will do nicely as it will only be a 1 or 2 person boat. Once again thanks all for the comments

Very happy! only thing that sucks is i gotta run it in before i can go fangin around

Dave J.

big john's picture

Date Joined: 20/07/06

Good choice

Wed, 2010-04-21 16:54

You wont be disappointed Reefmonkey.

WA based manufacturer and supplier of premium leadhead jigs, fligs, bucktail jigs, 'bulletproof' soft plastic jig heads and XOS bullet jig heads.

Jigs available online in my web store!