Best value sounder for approx $700?

Hi Guys

First time buyer of a sounder so I'm a complete n00b and I apologise for the question but I really have no idea or preference. 

Looking for advice from you experienced blokes as to what I should buy. I mostly spearfish but occasionally do some bait bottom bashing and troll. I already have a GPS unit so it doesnt have to be a dual sounder/GPS but can be if you guys reccomend so. 

Need an easy to use unit as my dad who has just figured out how to use an iphone needs to be able to use it also. 

budget is around $700 give or take a couple hundred either way. ANY tips, advise or help is appreciated!

Also, best retailer to buy, in store or online is fine. 

Aleks

https://www.facebook.com/groups/174055815943047/?fref=nf

Jason P's picture

Date Joined: 16/02/13

Elite 5

Sat, 2015-02-21 10:02

I have an Lowrance Elite 5 hdi,  new version is the chirp. Combo is probably a good idea as not a lot different in price and works as a backup to your current gps. Electronics can sometimes be temprementle in a saltwater environment. I run two gps's myself. 

I was able to haggle the price down a hundred dollars at bcf  but always depends on who you talk to.

DM306

Date Joined: 09/03/13

assuming, cos you usually

Sat, 2015-02-21 11:47

assuming, cos you usually spear that the depth will be up to (generally ) 30m ?

I went through this not too long ago 1 year. Initially I was looking at the raymarine Dragonfly. (7" only) looks to be a good easy to use in your price bracket and would prob be suitable for you. (edit: maybe the 7" bit out of the price you said but the 5" would be in there)

I didn't go this way purely because I generally fish much deeper. Coral bay I fish way past the 100m mark and I didn't think the Dragonfly would cut it.

having said that the dragonfly gets good reports from most who use it.

Date Joined: 26/04/14

i would keep an eye out for

Sat, 2015-02-21 10:37

i would keep an eye out for stuff like this

http://fishwrecked.com/forum/furuno-fcv627-sale

i no its sold but ive seen a few around lately, also seems a few people are selling hds gen2 in anticipation for gen3 model coming out. you could easily get a much better unit for half price of new if you can be patient.

Date Joined: 06/05/12

Raymarine Dragonfly is

Sat, 2015-02-21 10:51

Raymarine Dragonfly is awesome for the price, try to get a deal with the gold navionics card included in the price

Date Joined: 26/12/14

Dragonfly 7

Sat, 2015-02-21 11:31

i picked up a Dragonfly 7 for $960 with gold card. They were going for $915 at the boat show  

Still working out how to use it but just read John Adam's book so have a heap better idea of what to do now. 

Notorious's picture

Date Joined: 23/02/12

Raymarine seems popular - I

Tue, 2015-02-24 10:25

Raymarine seems popular - I just want the best on the market for my $$ thats all (dont we all I guess)

I did have my eyes on a Lowrance Elite 5 or 7, any reason why i should stay away from these?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/174055815943047/?fref=nf

Date Joined: 18/01/12

hunt around for a used Furuno

Tue, 2015-02-24 10:39

hunt around for a used Furuno 620 or 627.

Easiest to use by far both physically and electronically.

I have both a Lowrance HDS8 and a 620 on my boat.

Adjusting the HDS is just a PIA compared to Furuno with rotary knobs etc.

If you are a complete noob (or anyone else for that matter!), you dont need something unnecessarily complicated

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.