Big Swany Blues 21.01.09

With the warm weather over the last few weeks i thought i'd get out for a few hours yesterday to get some big blues. I've been doing well in many different spots in the Swan and there's no doubt the Swan blue manners are big, full of meat and right on our door steps for many!

Nick (FW member) came out for the late morning gentlemans hours sesh and for those 3 hours our effort was our limit of blueys. The wind did pick up after lunch so that was it and on my last string we had to throw back big crabs!

The crabs have been wide spreed with myself favouring the shallows this trip and doing well. Spleen & mullet combination in my drop nets did the trick and i had a feed last night with the meat being sweet and the body chockers with meat!

Here's a few picks;

Our limit; 

All crabs were males and no need to measure. The smallest went approx 135mm and most were 140mm to 178mm!

Some of the blues!

Good to catch up again Nick, I had a great day!

Date Joined: 21/02/08

They're really picking up

Thu, 2009-01-22 10:02

They're really picking up there Ryan!

wadetolley's picture

Date Joined: 27/06/08

Nice one

Thu, 2009-01-22 10:08

Great catch!  Good size..people take a dig at the health of the swan...but there wouldnt be many citys around the world, you can catch a great feed like that !

IF YOU EVER NEED A LIMOUSINE...CALL LAKES LIMOUSINES BALLAJURA

MOBILE 0416341256 OR PH 92496113

Bodie's picture

Date Joined: 05/11/07

God Ryan those crabs are

Thu, 2009-01-22 10:24

God Ryan those crabs are wicked

Ive been out a couple times in the swan (have not done much fishing or crabbing in the swan) but have only managed to get a couple of crabs for the trip.

Are the crabs thicker towards the freo area?

I quite often see many boats working the sand ledges along the kwinana fwy around raffles?

Might get out there this weekend (yeah long weekend and will be packed)

But crabs are my fav eating seafood...can never get enough of them!!

Colin Hay's picture

Date Joined: 23/10/07

Nice work Ryan

Thu, 2009-01-22 10:27

Great to see the crabs are out and about.
(Colin 1 - Co-founding member of the prestigious Colin Club)

Moderator. Proud member of the Fishwrecked "Old Farts". Make sure your subscribed to Fishwrecked Reeltime http://fishwrecked-reeltime.com/

Adam Gallash's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/05

Top feed

Thu, 2009-01-22 10:51

Top quality feed there Ryan, got me hungering for a meal of bluies!

Site Admin - Just ask if you need assistance

Rodrat's picture

Date Joined: 13/01/07

Nice crabs

Thu, 2009-01-22 10:55

Big blues ryan well done
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more serious than that!!!

FISH FOR THE FUTURE

Peter Mac's picture

Date Joined: 05/01/09

Thats It...

Thu, 2009-01-22 11:06

I'm goin crabbin this arvo! Trouble is I've got no one to go with, all working :(

May have to master the one man steer and pull technique!

Cheers!

Pete

------------------------------------------------

www.KitchenwareDirect.com.au

injected80's picture

Date Joined: 07/01/09

SWANY SWIMMERS

Thu, 2009-01-22 12:15

GREAT HAUL RYAN , GUAGE ON CRAB LOOKS SMALL AWESOME SIZE HAVE TO GIVE EM A CRACK CHEERS DEANO

alfred's picture

Date Joined: 12/01/07

Great catch, nice big

Thu, 2009-01-22 12:51

Great catch, nice big ones!  Do you slow them down on ice or something?  Or are they dead?  They taste so much better if you kill they just before cooking.

18 Outrage, Johnson 140hp 4stroke and 190 Outrage, 150 Mercury Verado

Daisy's picture

Date Joined: 24/01/08

Geez those Swan River Blues

Thu, 2009-01-22 13:43

Geez those Swan River Blues are massive, great crabbing guys.
-----------------------------------------------------------
The view expressed in this post is that of a self opinionated bullshitter and does not reflect that of the website owner, it's operators or anyone else for that matter.

The view expressed in this post is that of a self opinionated bullshitter and does not reflect that of this website, it's owners, mediators, other members or anyone else for that matter :-P

johno's picture

Date Joined: 20/07/08

bait options

Thu, 2009-01-22 13:54

Ryan

You said you used Spleen & mullet combinations, what other bait options should be worth trying?... I haven't done much drop netting from a boat before, but what is the typical time you leave the nets in for... I know you can have a limit of 10 drop nets?

Johno

Cockburn Power Boat Member (CPBA)

PGFC

Albee Mangles's picture

Date Joined: 20/05/08

WOW, You got great Crabs there Ryan!

Thu, 2009-01-22 14:23

Top effort mate! Nice to see your sharing your crabs too, very generous of you. Where do i sign up to go out and catch crabs with ya mate!!!

Wink 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Hobie Adventure - "Shufoy"

Brett Ozanne

Lucky Tim's picture

Date Joined: 28/11/07

There must've been a few

Thu, 2009-01-22 14:31

There must've been a few guys reading this post 'cos I went for a ride this morning from Canning Bridge to Mounts Bay Yacht Club and there were boats and floats everywhere!
Good size crabs tho, I'm surprised they look that clean from the Swan. The few I've caught there always have a browner tinge to them and a fine coating of slime on their shells.

Pete D's picture

Date Joined: 07/06/07

Great catch Ryan and Nick. 

Thu, 2009-01-22 14:55

Great catch Ryan and Nick.  Hope ya left some for us poor old diversLaughing

Like the finger holding shot!

Cheers Pete

Faulkner Family's picture

Date Joined: 11/03/08

One darn nice Feed mate

Thu, 2009-01-22 14:59

RUSS & SANDY

"A family that fishes together stays together"

RUSS and SANDY. A family that fishes together stays together

Matt T's picture

Date Joined: 19/11/07

Tim Jeffs

Thu, 2009-01-22 15:01

The ones that are brown with the slime are females - the blues always seem to be clean and shiny! Great catch by the way Ryan!

Shorty's picture

Date Joined: 10/05/08

Whats the general thought

Thu, 2009-01-22 15:54

Whats the general thought about those bait mate mesh thingyajigs,,those red ones that you put the bait in to protect it some what,,a kayak crabber says not to use them because he gets little to nothing from nets with them in.

I am guessing the crabs get frustrated that they cant get the bait and leave ?

Colin 3 > long standing and highly respect member of the prestigous Colin's club.

shabba's picture

Date Joined: 26/02/08

fark, they are stonkers,

Thu, 2009-01-22 21:08

fark, they are stonkers, plenty meat in them i bet, awsome effort ryan & nick...

Date Joined: 10/08/08

It had been ages since I'd

Fri, 2009-01-23 18:24

It had been ages since I'd been crabbing so I was supprised to get so many big (and full of sweet meat) crabs from out of the Swan. What a relaxing way to kill a few hours.

Thanks again for the invite Ryan, what an enjoyable way to catch up.

Date Joined: 10/06/06

Blue Crabs

Fri, 2009-01-23 18:35

Geez there monsters, the word down this way is there's lots of just undersize with size ones amongst them, I'm going out to get a feed this weekend bugger it.

Kev

FISHING IS MY ADDICTION

johno's picture

Date Joined: 20/07/08

Reading this thread got me

Fri, 2009-01-23 20:32

Reading this thread got me so excited yesterday that I needed to go crabbing. Thanks Ryan for the temptation on the article, and what a great catch. Ryan is 100% right again Wink and there are some bloody big Blueies out there. I also came across a 178mm boy today... yummmy LaughingLaughing

C

Cockburn Power Boat Member (CPBA)

PGFC

Colin Hay's picture

Date Joined: 23/10/07

Good onya Johnno

Fri, 2009-01-23 20:36

That's a bloody big crab. I can taste it now, with some home baked bread and some butter on a side plate.
(Colin 1 - Co-founding member of the prestigious Colin Club)

Moderator. Proud member of the Fishwrecked "Old Farts". Make sure your subscribed to Fishwrecked Reeltime http://fishwrecked-reeltime.com/

Rosco's picture

Date Joined: 20/11/07

well done

Fri, 2009-01-23 20:49

well done ryan. Went out last night and nailed 6 big blues. There were a few other boats out. No need for a gauge as they are all horses and FULL of meat right up to the nippers. two crabs fed me and the mrs. not as prlific as mandurah but heaps bigger and only 10 minutes home from the ramp.
Rosco

abandon's picture

Date Joined: 23/05/07

Mandurah

Fri, 2009-01-23 21:03

I went in the estuary (west side) last week for an hour or so and only managed 4 size, must have scooped about 50 undersize. Great to see so many, hope they get a chance to grow. There was a couple out there at the same time as us...keeping everything they scooped. My mate and I were seething.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Kasey L.'s picture

Date Joined: 02/03/06

very nice

Sat, 2009-01-24 21:28

very nice

Date Joined: 01/01/70

crabbing!

Sat, 2009-01-24 22:53

Fully agree Wade, we have a very healthy river system and right on our metro door step!

Bodie, the crabs have picked up in the lower reaches but i've been crabbing between PT Walter & the Brewery, plenty of spots mate inbewteen also!

Yey Pete the one man drive & pull the nets isnt easy but doable with a small gaff and beats not going.....what ever it takes eh!

Alfred, i use a saltwater slurry to slow em down (anethatise) and I also cook them up in the Swan salt!

Johno, nice effort mate on the crabs....descent size too. As for your question; I like my spleen & mullet bait combo but you can use mullies, fish heads, tuna heads etc As for time between each net check, approx 20mins from the last drop net going in the water so ALL  nets have approx 20-30mins to sit. I find that works well especially getting a run of big blues in a string is concerned and a time to consume a cold beverage Laughing

Brett, we'll T it up mate....always keen.

Pete, Nick came up with that idea and i'll strap the tank on for prawns & scallops.....drop net the crabs i reckon!

Colin, i like using the bait wallets for keeping the bait away from the blowys in the Swan & Mandurah and do well on the crabs. Lately i've been experimenting with using 2 bait clips in each drop net & a combo or spleen & mullet. The catch very similar but my bait got smashed quickly.....both works but the mesh wallets are bait savers for sure!

Good stuff Rosco, agree that you dont need to many to get a feed and normally i get a dozen and thats it but i had a big cookup coming up so the extra's helped out.....about 2-3 max for me!

Was good to catch up Nick, next time for a fish but with da weather being a bit average we'll probably be crabbing again!

* Thanks to rest for your comments,

Cheers

Ryan

* Oceanside- Advice, Knowledge, Experience..that's our difference *

Owner of "Oceanside Tackle & Marine"
364 South St, O'Connor, Perth Ph 9337 5682

Shorty's picture

Date Joined: 10/05/08

Ryan thanks for the info on

Sun, 2009-01-25 13:56

Ryan thanks for the info on the bait wallets, i think my kayaking friend should persist in using them ,,he believes his catch rate drops down when using them.

Mind you he got his limit today in just under a couple hours,,its just a matter of getting your limit before the blowys eat the bait i guess,,plus the type of bait must be a factor as well.

Colin 3 > long standing and highly respect member of the prestigous Colin's club.