Canon 7D or Nikon D300S

Wanting to upgrade my SLR so that I have a faster frame rate for capturing jump shots of barra and billfish. Pretty much decided on the 7D but I'm not loyal to any particular brand and am prepared to give the Nikon a go if someone can convince me. Canon has 18 megapixels versus 12.3 on the Nikon and 8 fps versus 7 although I'd say this is negligible. I've considered the 50D as a cheaper option but I'd like to do HD video recording as well so that pretty much counts out that model.

Lucky Tim's picture

Date Joined: 28/11/07

go for the fps over

Fri, 2010-04-02 20:01

I think fps is more important than megapixels. Unless you're blowing photos up to wall size, 10 megapixels plus will be heaps for magazines or personal collections.
Nearly all my experience is with Canon so I know my around them, can't really comment on Nikons. All my mates bar 1 shoot Canon, pretty handy for a lens swap/borrow now and then.

jay_burgess's picture

Date Joined: 18/08/05

Tim, the Canon has more

Fri, 2010-04-02 20:01

Tim, the Canon has more megapixels and the higher fps. Seems like a no brainer to me but interested to here what Nikon fans think.

Goatch's picture

Date Joined: 03/07/07

I really like the

Fri, 2010-04-02 20:14

ease of use with my Nikon and how easy all the buttons are to find , but then I am used to it , If you change to Nikon you obviously change all your gear , I,ve got mates who are Canon through and through and others who swear by Nikon , I love my D80 but then both cameras you are looking at are at the top of the particular lineup , so I would stay with Canon if I were you.

Just one more cast , honest !!!  

Date Joined: 02/03/08

Go the Canon

Fri, 2010-04-02 20:22

G'day Jay.

It's a bit like the old 'Ford v Holden' or 'Daiwa v Shimano' argument .

Generally speaking, Canon bodies give you a bit more for your money, whilst Nikon bodies are a bit more solidly built.

The extra megapixels can come in handy if you want to do a crop from your original image.

It's worth handling both cameras if you can. This gives you an idea of which body feels better in the hand and more intuitive for you to use.

I'd be leaning towards the Canon for the the extra megapixels and fps, plus the 7D gets some very good reviews on the net (see dpreview.com ).

Cheers.

alfred's picture

Date Joined: 12/01/07

I am going thru the same

Fri, 2010-04-02 20:33

I am going thru the same decision right now. 

The D300s is full frame which is a big plus, but

It's heavier

Video is limited to 5 min clips

7D is lighter but not by much

Video mode records up to 30min clips

You will need very fast cards to record video unless it is really short clip

I believe both perform on par, and the real difference will be the lenses. L series lenses are not cheap.

I am leaning towards the 7D atm, but have not hit the buy button yet.

Goatch's picture

Date Joined: 03/07/07

Alfred sorry

Fri, 2010-04-02 22:22

mate but I don't believe the D300S is full frame , pretty sure it's a DX but professional quality and speed.

Just one more cast , honest !!!  

alfred's picture

Goatch - you are right, I

Fri, 2010-04-02 22:34

Goatch - you are right, I got it mixed up with a D3, other comments valid though.

hlokk's picture

Date Joined: 04/04/08

Extra megapixels usually

Fri, 2010-04-02 20:43

Extra megapixels usually dont mean much, but if you're cropping pics they can be quite useful.

The 7d has better video specs (e.g. 1080P as well) and I think has better compression? I think the iso might be better too?

Found a review that summarised it like this:

• If you have lenses collection of either brand, stick with the brand.
  • Get Canon 7D if you are shooting in bright light most of the time.
  • Get Canon 7D if you like to crop pictures a lot
  • Get Canon 7D if you will often use this camera to record creative movie

Alfred, yep, L's arent cheap, but theres lots of lenses available in the mid range (more so than nikon i'm told, but I havent checked). If you already have lenses Jay, you'll still be able to use them which is a bonus (not sure what you have atm).

allrounder's picture

Date Joined: 10/11/08

If you are not restricted

Fri, 2010-04-02 22:25

by budget get the 5d mark 2.The pics will get far have far less noise.The l lenses are not cheap but well worth it.Have a look at any sporting event or other photographer gathering you will see a lot of grey l lenses and it is for very good reason.The 5d mark2 will be next in my collection.Have the L lenses already so will save some $ s there.Just google 7d Vs 5d mark 2 vs Nikon.The other advantage the canon has is if you use one eos you can use them all they may have a few different functions but the main ones are always in the same place.From my old film camera through all the dslrs the they all feel the same to use.Nikon change things from camera to camera so you need to get used to each one as it comes out.They may have stopped doing it now though. 

So tell me have you got your info from years on the water or hours on the internet?

• was sponsored by Atomic Lures and Shimano but they dropped me.Now sponsored by Fog Dog(The best fish coating out there) and raider lures.

PilbaraBrad's picture

Date Joined: 16/05/07

the 5d is too slow, 7d has

Fri, 2010-04-02 23:46

the 5d is too slow, 7d has around 8fps, jay wants it for jump shots etc. If you want a full frame camera that shoots fast then your looking at a 1ds and who has 13K to chuck at a camera??

allrounder's picture

Date Joined: 10/11/08

The other thing is

Fri, 2010-04-02 22:42

Jay if you are planning to video on the boat buy a video camera as well as i think you will be not happy with the dslr quality when moving around.You get this kind of wobbly effect that is hard to explain.We ended up getting a hard drive style video ,just a cheapy but does an alright job.

So tell me have you got your info from years on the water or hours on the internet?

• was sponsored by Atomic Lures and Shimano but they dropped me.Now sponsored by Fog Dog(The best fish coating out there) and raider lures.

jay_burgess's picture

I already have a high

Sat, 2010-04-03 05:08

I already have a high definition handy cam.

alfred's picture

Jay if you buy the 7D and

Sat, 2010-04-03 07:20

Jay if you buy the 7D and need extra batteries, get the originals.  The after market units will drop your frame rate to 3-4 fps and (not so important) not display battery status.

kaney68's picture

Date Joined: 29/07/08

Must only happen with the 7D !

Sat, 2010-04-03 08:33

I have used after market batteries on my 1D bodies and have had no issues !

No difference in speed and no variation to displays.

I would be interested to hear if this type of problem happens with other makes/models. 

The only significant issue was battery life.... they generally only last for around 6 months before needing to be replaced.

But for $30 a battery compared to $300.............................

kaney68's picture

Date Joined: 29/07/08

Go with the Canon Jay !

Sat, 2010-04-03 09:27

The extra pixels will definitely help when cropping images.

I've just upgraded my 1D bodies from mk2 to mk4..... going from 8mb to 16mb

The difference is huge !!!

And as for the high ISO.... I'm sure the 7D will be pretty much the same as 1D - brilliant ! 

I wouldn't get too hung up on the fps saga........ running the camera at it's fastest shutter speeds will be more than likely something you wont achieve, unless you are either using L series lenses and dial up the ISO, aperture and shutter settings manually !

I've had a play with the HD in my 1Dmk4 and was very impressed !!

Just have to remember that you have to manually focus..

It's a lot easier than I first thought and the quality shits over that from my Sony handycam !! 

For what the HD is, it's brilliant.... but for me, it's more a creative tool that requires the use of a tripod and some thought..... not really at the every day video user who wants to film everything.... but the quality speaks for itself ! 

cheers,

Paul 

PilbaraBrad's picture

Date Joined: 16/05/07

I have an after market

Sat, 2010-04-03 10:17

I have an after market battery and everything works exactly the same on my 50D

alfred's picture

Check out the forums, on all

Sat, 2010-04-03 10:49

Check out the forums, on all the earlier models, it's fine, but for some reason on the 7d it slows down.

The new batteries are also chipped to show status.  The 7d has a function in it so that you can register each battery to the camera so that you can track the discharge, it will tell you the battery level when you put it in and keep a memory track for each particular battery to show what level you discharged it to, so you have a history of usage for that battery.

Bunch of crap if you ask me, must be the bean counters ploy to increase $ by making customers buy the original battery.

Dale's picture

Date Joined: 13/09/05

Jay, catch up with Dave on

Sat, 2010-04-03 17:35

Jay, catch up with Dave on my crew at work, he is a amateur photographer but leaning towards a professional person and uses Nikon cameras. We're on night shift starting next Friday so probably wont catch up for a while.

Cheers
Dale

"Just because you are a Character, Doesn't mean you have Character."

Mr Wolf

Date Joined: 18/04/08

Get the 7D

Sat, 2010-04-03 19:42

...for an extra grand you could have the 5DmkII but  not as good for what you want to photograph though. The 7D at high fps, high Mp's and low light capabilities is a good choice.

I cant wait for the 1DsmkIV, hoping its a FF, 32Mp @15 fps with RAW video codec now that would be a sweet camera

jay_burgess's picture

Thanks for all the help

Sun, 2010-04-04 22:05

Thanks for all the help people, gonna stick with Canon and go the 7D.... and hopefully later down the track a wide angle zoom L series and a telephoto zoom L series for those jump shots... ouch.