Coral Bay Report - 19/7 - 2/8

Well another year has come and gone, the fishings done and back to work.

We enjoyed two weeks up at the Bay staying at one of the Chalets in Bayview and catching up with a bunch of mates who were taking the same break although we traveled independently of each other. The trip up was smooth and uneventful. The boat behind the cruiser on the new ACE trailer. What a great investment, trailed exceptionally well, loaded and all, no problems, no sweating over bearing issues. It was a relief as this was the first real long distance test for the trailer. We left at12.30 am Saturday morning and arrived at 3.30 pm at the Bay, booked straight in, unloaded, unpacked, rigged up and up to the pub for dinner. An early night as we were all knackered from the drive.

Day 1 - blowing its guts out, ran up to the North passage but deemed it too rough with the wind and swell creating quite confused waters. We retreated to the inside of the South and anchored up and burleyed up. Didnt take too long and in came a big school of bludger trevally, all around 3kgs. We took advantage and grabbed a half dozen for bait for the coming days. We then spent some time pitching plastics out at the school which was going off. I tried out the Gomoku toy rod with a plastic and was surprised at how easily this little rod managed these feisty little trevally into the boat on 5kg. We spent a hour or so on these before the school dispersed and we were only troubled by smallish NW snapper. Nothing for the box other than bait. Back for a coldie or two, catch up with mates, dinner and the sack.

Day 2 - still blowing but got out North. Water still pretty mixed up and keeping your footing was a bit difficult but we managed a couple of nice spanglies around the 3 - 4kg mark, nothing too sensational but we were on the board. Fishing was quiet and we only managed about 4 fish. Early day.

Day 3 - Wind dropping around midday but still quite blowy. out to 90m and sounded around. Found some ground and dropped over fish and squid baits. The fish started to come on pretty quick, a nicish Red followed by a solid Goldband, another Red and another Goldband. Then a few more smallish reds, Robbos and Pearl Perch. Called it a day when the breeze swung N and the bite went cold.

Day 4 - back out to 90m, picked up some fish on the sounder but not really happening. The breeze was swinging NE to N and our drift was all over the place. We decided to have a longer drift and then the fish started to come on board. Pearlies, Robbos, Goldband and then a stonker Red to my son. Weighed on the scales, went an honest 9kgs. He was so pleased he couldnt stop grinning and talking about it, his first real quality fish. Wind went NW and the bite died.

Day 5 - blown out - lay day around the Bay with a bit of 4WD up the coast

Day 6 - Calmer, so went deep out to 130 and hunted around, couldnt find anything. Pushed onwards to 250m, and sounded for a hour or so with nothing showing. Pushed N a couple of miles and sounded in 280m for another hour for no show. Crew became a bit restless so headed back into the 90's for some more Reds and picked up the odd couple of fish including some good Rankins. Whilst we were out here a squid showed up from no where. A quick rig change and on went a squid jig and in came one of the biggest squid I have landed. I landed him in the net and gave him a good shake to get rid of the ink. Good job too, he punched out clouds of it. thank God it wasn't in the boat !

Day 7 - Glass off, no drift and no takers.

Day 8 - Another quiet day but met up with some mates about 12m out and they put us on a spot for a couple of Spanglies and Robbos

Day 9 - Lay day in Exmouth.

Last few days - worked over the South and with a steady SE at least we had a constant drift. We got onto a good spot that was producing Goldband, Robbos, Pearl Perch, Spanglies and then the Pinkies came on, closely followed by the sharks. I included a pic below the show their deductions ! Probably our best day fish wise until the taxmen moved in. Over the next couple of days, working depths between 90 - 115m we landed a steady stream of fish. Not lots and we never even approached our limit but we did get some good fish. Plenty of Cobia down south and we landed a couple around the 10kg mark for the box. They eat pretty good at this size.

Last day came before we knew it and it was to be an early day. we had earlier met up with Reece and Elaine (Baron88) who were up for the last week so they came out with us to the 90's and we fished the last couple of hours within radio call distance. We headed in with a half dozen fish at 1.00 and Baron headed in around 4.30 just as we were fuelling up the car. I think they did OK on the day.

I have posted some pics below in no particular order as they are from a variety of cameras.

I was pretty happy with the new Furuno and I think i got better dialling it in every day. However in the pics below I dont know what I am looking at. We fished several spots with shows like this for no fish. i dont know if they were off the bite because on the Northerly or it it simply wasn't fish. Appreciate any advice so that I can work out what i am seeing next time.

The drive home was another 15hour marathon arriving at 9.00pm on Saturday night. Again, a trip without incident.

All in all it was a great trip, if a little breezy. It was pleasing to see Marine an Harbours doing the boat checks and Fisheries paying a couple of visits. Good to get away and spend some time with the boy and my mates. Also good to meet another FW member in Baron 88.

Cant wait for next year !!

cheers

Image Upload: 

Date Joined: 01/01/70

awesome job. is that a

Wed, 2014-08-06 21:23

awesome job. is that a talica

milsey's picture

Date Joined: 22/08/07

Few good fillets there mate,

Wed, 2014-08-06 21:36

Few good fillets there mate, i've had the same show on the furuno and the same result although mine was a little less broken up. Hard to tell without being there but im 90% mine was just bait, alot of bait.

Date Joined: 18/01/12

North wind in Coral Bay,

Wed, 2014-08-06 22:06

North wind in Coral Bay, your lucky to get onto a school that are biting

Nice pics Bruce, when you comin to the islands?

We just went past Coral Bay, except 40 miles out to sea 

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

JohnF's picture

Date Joined: 07/07/10

Nice work Bruce.

Wed, 2014-08-06 22:22

Nice work Bruce.

Boston Whaler 235 Conquest......getting the flogging it was built for.

Date Joined: 17/06/10

Short bodied snapper

Thu, 2014-08-07 00:40

I see you caught some of the short bodied snapper, not good hey

deepwater's picture

Date Joined: 09/05/07

Coral bay trip

Thu, 2014-08-07 05:37

A holiday with no dramas is all ways a good holiday ,looks like u got on to them really well out there ,well done on the top quality bag

jeff

Date Joined: 10/04/12

Bruce your sounder pics show

Thu, 2014-08-07 20:02

Bruce your sounder pics show fish no doubt! My secret to coral bay when the sounder lights up to slice up some fresh fish (whatever you have on board!) and "force them" onto the bite! give it 3-4 drifts and as soon as they come on, you'll hit the jackpot. Can't guarantee they always will come on the bite but I find the slightest change (ie wind, current, bait) and obviously of those the only one you can control is the bait!!

Cruise Control's picture

Date Joined: 03/11/10

Cheers guysKingfisha, yes

Sun, 2014-08-10 09:12

Cheers guys

Kingfisha, yes that is a TAC12 on a Venom PE 3 - 8 An absolutely awesome combo. 

WE saw lots of shows lile that on the Furuno, mainly 60-80m. We did pull some fish out of them, mainly Robbos and Pearlies but with those big blobs of red showing I would have called it for big fish in/around bait. In any event, whatever it was, it didn't produce in any breeze with any North in it, whetherit was bait, big plastics or metal jigs. I would have killed to see what happened if the breeze swung around to the S or SW !

There's always next year.

Date Joined: 01/01/70

what line and how much is on

Sun, 2014-08-10 11:31

what line and how much is on the talica 12?

Cruise Control's picture

Date Joined: 03/11/10

All I know its that its 65lb

Sun, 2014-08-10 16:52

All I know its that its 65lb Shinobi braid

cutter's picture

Date Joined: 30/12/10

Talica

Thu, 2014-08-14 03:23

As cruise control was saying ive got a Tallica 16 with Venom pe 5-10 they are an awesome set up.