Diawa Saltiga Expedition Z6500

A Buddy has just bough me a Saltiga Expedition Z6500 spooled with Ultra X8 Jig Man 113Lb braid from Hong Kong. Thank you "Fishwrecked" for the names and location of shops in H.G. but on it's arrival here in South Africa i see that the thread for the handle is only for right hand use. I am not left handed but i fish left handed as i like to Jig and fight the fish holding the rod with my strong arm, i do not want to open a brand new reel to experiment, can anyone tell me if the reel can be changed to left hand wind? The instructions are in Chinese and there is a small packet with three washers in the box,are these spares or do i need to install them? I was in Perth last year to visit a mate of mine, so i understand most of the places that you talk about on your site, keep up the good work "Shipwrecked" and Honsu is fast becoming a Legend, perhaps he should stand for Prime Minister? Flungy.

SHizz's picture

Date Joined: 07/08/05

The saltigas dont look like

Fri, 2007-11-23 07:16

The saltigas dont look like they are interchangeable but it does fit over. Just give it a shot at winding in the left hand side.

Farflung9a's picture

Date Joined: 28/09/06

Saltiga Left Hand Wind

Fri, 2007-11-23 15:43

It does not look like the Saltiga can be changed to left hand wind (see pic) and what are the 3 washer type discs in the packet for?

How do I attach photo's, it appears to freeze?

Flungy.

Salmo's picture

Date Joined: 15/08/05

Washers

Fri, 2007-11-23 20:35

Are for lifting the spool up if the line runs high on retreive....whilst under pressure....

teflon suckers???

PS I hope its Japanese writing

honsu chin's picture

Date Joined: 20/09/05

Im pretty sure you can

Fri, 2007-11-23 22:13

Im pretty sure you can change over direct without changing anything. I've got 2 of them and they're easily change from right to left.

Yeah its a Japanese reel, made in Japan entirely so expect the manual to be in Japanese. Me thinks you got a dud with looks and no go.....

Take it to your local tackle shop and see what they can do.

** Oceanside = Strudwick,Daiwa,Van Staal,Jigmaster Rods, Banax, Shimano,Penn, Okuma, Furuno etc...** Oceanside Tackle and Marine 364 South Street, O'Connor, Perth WA Ph# 9337 5682 Fishing/Boating/Dive/Marine ** OPEN 7 DAYS **

Rob C's picture

Date Joined: 02/08/06

Like Honsu said easy to swap

Sat, 2007-11-24 13:13

Like Honsu said easy to swap handles over. Ive also got 2 of them myself. 

Just unscrew both the handle and the cap, then swap over.

Both screw directly on to the opposite side.

Takes about 30 seconds if that.

Farflung9a's picture

This is an Expedition 6500 all blue.

Sun, 2007-11-25 17:40

I took it to the South African importers here in Durban and it is a genuine Expedition, you are correct Honsu the writting is Japanese, but the screw and the body bulges are for right hand wind only, see my photos if i can attach them.

Are your reels Expeditions or standard 6500's?

The Catalina and all the smaller Saltiga's appear to be  changable but not the Expedition, what about the "Dog Fight" can that be changed?

Flungy.

Still don't know how to attach pics HELP?

Farflung9a's picture

Diawa Saltiga Expedition Z6500

Sun, 2007-11-25 17:52

Sorry guys, at last i have finaly managed to send 2 pics of my reel, please go to "Latest Photos."

Flungy.

Rob C's picture

Date Joined: 02/08/06

Flungy i also have a

Sun, 2007-11-25 18:54

Flungy i also have a Expedition and its fully interchangeable like i said in my previous post, something sounds wrong about yours.

honsu chin's picture

Dont worry about the bulges.

Sun, 2007-11-25 22:35

Dont worry about the bulges. Its just how the main gear sits therefore to keep everything slim the main gear's "bulges" needs to be only on one side. Just wind the handle onto the left hand side evenly and gently and it should go in. Both of my Exp 6500 are exactly the same as yours. There's no "standard" 6500, only 5000/6000.

Try again Flungy.

** Oceanside = Strudwick,Daiwa,Van Staal,Jigmaster Rods, Banax, Shimano,Penn, Okuma, Furuno etc...** Oceanside Tackle and Marine 364 South Street, O'Connor, Perth WA Ph# 9337 5682 Fishing/Boating/Dive/Marine ** OPEN 7 DAYS **

honsu chin's picture

Sorry I read one of your

Sun, 2007-11-25 22:38

Sorry I read one of your post with the pics, you've finally figured it out. Hopefully you'll catch some BIG fish with it. As for the drag washers, use your stock washers for now then replace it with Carbontex the next season.

Farflung9a's picture

Thanks Honsu!

Mon, 2007-11-26 16:56

So you didn't stand for Prime Minister then Honsu, perhaps next time?

Thanks for you advice, i bought a new local custom jig rod for my new reel on Friday, but the wind is pumping "Big Time" and i can't get on the water, Sob! Sob!

"Lifes Good"

Flungy.