Exmouth 2011

We have finally arrived home from a great trip to Exmouth .Left on 5th of April for the long drive through the night  .I can tell you 14 hours and I was thinking this could be my last trip to Exmouth .Blew one tyre on the trailer outside Carnarvon and lost the anchor yanker on the road somewhere ,but hell we got there in one piece .We unpacked and made ready for the following day out on the water .The morning came and we were on the ramp at first light with flat seas we were buzzing to get into some fish .We mixed it up with a little trolling and some bottom bashing Jody  got her first Billie of around 40kg and we lost it at the boat .But we will claim it as a capture as I had its bill in my hands .The hook was through the bill but was too close to my hand to take the chance on get it through my hand so I pushed it away . The thing went crazy jumping into the side of the boat twice and thrashing around like a mad man. It then shot under the boat and with a lake in concentration was lost due to gear failure [high stick rod].We then hit some bottom fish .with a number of different species caught .I cannot remember each day as it was but we had some memorable days .The best fish wise was 18 good solid fish with ranking, spangled emperor, reds, long nose .and lost as many to the gray coats. I Had a great fight with a big marlin for two hours on 15kg gear before busting of ,which  was a piss of but I had no chance as we got it under the boat twice and it was as long as the boat .BIG FISH. We snorkelled with a whale shark for some time before sharks started coming for a look see. Didn’t get any Macs and only heard of a hand full getting caught .Tuna were good fun getting onto a couple of good schools lat one arvo, most were 6kg or bigger and on light gear were good fun .Had a dive in the no fish zone at the islands 20m.some good Rankin cod and a big long nose with heaps of other small fish on the lump. Young Kye, Jesses mate won the prize for the biggest Rankin [8.5kg] in the FW comp .We did one night fish for a few hours and some good fish were caught Red  Bass , Rankin and spangled Emperor.  The last morning we hit the water to catch to high tide .got to the small edge half hour before high to see no fish on the sounder but things changed within 15 minutes fish were all over the edge and we were into reds and Rankin with some big ones being dropped. Jody got a nice one around 6kg. I got the nickname the honeycomb cod king as while the others were pulling in good fish I was cleaning up on these pasty little pricks. But I did get a nice Coral trout the day before on a plastic around 6kg.Tryed knocking myself out with the rod when my braid snapped for no reason while under strain .MMMMM not funny .It has taken a few years to work things out but it is all coming together so we eagerly await next year’s trip. Thanks Adam for a great night and to all the people cooking and making the night a good one .good to have a chat to some of the members i have not had a chance to meet.

Active Gyp-Rok solutions ,Residential  and commercial ceilings and walls

Goodz's picture

Date Joined: 20/07/09

Great to meet you all up

Mon, 2011-04-18 13:11

Great to meet you all up there Paul and thanks again for taking my gear up and back! Some nice fish yous got into, pity about losing the big Billie!

Spicey's picture

Date Joined: 17/01/11

Good report mate , Some nice

Mon, 2011-04-18 13:13

Good report mate , Some nice fish there !

Lucky Tim's picture

Date Joined: 28/11/07

nice pics Paul and good to

Mon, 2011-04-18 13:22

nice pics Paul and good to see you found some decent trout and reds. When we retreived mid Friday arvo we were suprised to see you guys had pulled out already and figured you must be leaving the next day.

Spewing about the big marlin though but it's a good enough reason to come back.
Tim

Paul G's picture

Date Joined: 12/12/07

We just hit the high tide on

Mon, 2011-04-18 13:33

We just hit the high tide on friday and got some good reds and rankin .Took the boys for a snorkle south of the ramp and we were in for 1:30am .And yes we had packing to do .and yes Will be back next year.Bet it was flat at the islands did you go over for a fish or swim

Lucky Tim's picture

Date Joined: 28/11/07

we just went for a swim and

Mon, 2011-04-18 15:42

we just went for a swim and came home about 2pm, didn't bring much back, it was just a nice excuse to see how deep we could dive and have a swim while it was flat calm. I could certainly get used to travelling over calm seas like it was that day. Gonna be a nice week up here by the looks of the forecast.

Andy Mac's picture

Date Joined: 03/02/06

Some great fish there Paul

Mon, 2011-04-18 13:42

I think you hit the nail on the head with the tide thing.

If you take away the long drive and the tyre puncture its hard to think of a better way to spend a week or two. 

Cheers

Andy Mac (Fishwrecked Reeltime Editor & Forum Moderator)

Youngest member of the Fishwrecked Old Farts Club

alfred's picture

Date Joined: 12/01/07

Some good fish there Paul. 

Mon, 2011-04-18 13:48

Some good fish there Paul.  Thinks we all had some dramas in the last week!

mitch's picture

Date Joined: 14/08/05

thanks for taking time to

Mon, 2011-04-18 13:52

thanks for taking time to write up the cool report .its definatly one special place.

those blooby big beakies have a way of crushing ones mojo at times..still wouldnt miss it for quidds though...

crasny1's picture

Date Joined: 16/10/08

Nice report paul

Mon, 2011-04-18 14:03

Just goto love the beautiful coronation trout.

Some nice shots and fish.

Neels

"I would like to die on Mars. Just not on impact!!" _ Elon Musk

Date Joined: 20/04/09

Mon, 2011-04-18 14:04

Good report Paul,  bloody envious now. Some nice fish there. 

just dhu it's picture

Date Joined: 14/05/09

good report

Mon, 2011-04-18 14:15

Good report there Paul , good to see you all caught some decent fish and the conditions and fishing seems better than last year, only three more weeks before we go up   

Paul G's picture

Give me a yell before you

Mon, 2011-04-18 14:21

Give me a yell before you leave and i'll fill you in on some spots we found.

mullows's picture

Date Joined: 25/12/08

Some great fish there folks.

Mon, 2011-04-18 14:53

Some great fish there folks. Well done!

Cheers

Mullows

The Older I get the better I was :-)

Faulkner Family's picture

Date Joined: 11/03/08

sounds and looks like you

Mon, 2011-04-18 15:16

sounds and looks like you guys and girl had a blast. you certainly found some nice fish with 3 coro's, great looking and tasting fish. pity about the puncture and loss of the anchor thingy, but you made up for it with the fish. sorry to hear about the loss of Jody's first billie , but high sticking is something you should know better not to do . looks like Jessie  was the guilty one 

RUSS and SANDY. A family that fishes together stays together

PattyT's picture

Date Joined: 15/08/10

Great selection of fish,

Mon, 2011-04-18 15:31

Great selection of fish, sounds like you had an awesome time! Really nice pic of the Dollie, they always come up great in photos.

Date Joined: 21/02/08

Some top fish there Paul, but

Mon, 2011-04-18 15:33

Some top fish there Paul, but everything at it's price huh ;)

abeldog's picture

Date Joined: 12/04/10

Great Work & Report Paul

Mon, 2011-04-18 15:36

A very nice collection of photos & fish.

Sorry to hear about the mishaps on the way back but as you said, "Good to be home in one piece".

"People See Things As They Are & Ask Why???

We Can All Dream of Things That Never Were and Ask Why Not!!"( RK )

grayzeee's picture

Date Joined: 09/07/09

great stuff paul and some

Mon, 2011-04-18 16:21

great stuff paul and some great fish to everyone.  well done!

If I spent half as long fishing , as I do reading this bloody forum , I'd be twice the fisherman I am. 

uncle's picture

Date Joined: 10/02/07

some very nice fish there

Mon, 2011-04-18 16:36

looks like everyone scored well,our turn in 6 weeks

all aggressive fish love bigjohnsjigs

hunterdive's picture

Date Joined: 24/02/09

hey there Paul, thanks for

Mon, 2011-04-18 16:45

hey there Paul,

thanks for the report and the pics, you did great!   Definately got the itch to head up again, I think we'll plan for the comp next year, sound like a lot of fun.

Deckie's picture

Date Joined: 03/04/09

Good job

Mon, 2011-04-18 17:34

Well done Paul & gang. Good variety of fish this year & all good sizes. Conditions look great & very fishable. Glad ya got up and back safe with not too many dramas. i hope the weather is like that in a few weeks & we can put up a few reports & pics like yours.
cheers Rob

Cheers & Stay safe

MJ's picture

Date Joined: 23/06/09

Great report & pics Paul

Mon, 2011-04-18 17:44

Great report Paul you and the crew all got stuck into some good fish, enjoyed catching up with you and meeting Jody, Jesse and Kye.

See you in 2 Rocks.

fisho-ron's picture

Date Joined: 26/09/09

well done paul and crewsome

Mon, 2011-04-18 17:44

well done paul and crew

some quality fish there mate,

i am gunna try to get my own boat there next year and for at least a week as well!

Seaquest's picture

Date Joined: 22/10/09

Nice work Paul and crew.

Mon, 2011-04-18 19:17

Nice work Paul and crew. Looks like you got into a bit of everything.

Paul G's picture

The broken rod in the pic

Mon, 2011-04-18 19:22

The broken rod in the pic with Jesse was  a 8 foot gray coat 100m down we tag teamed and got it up got the rig and the end of the rod back .lost some kg 's on that one.

Bodie's picture

Date Joined: 05/11/07

Well done paul, some great

Tue, 2011-04-19 14:13

Well done paul, some great fish and photos there!

didnt really get a chance to have a good chat, except a couple times at the filleting table!

Good to see the boys doing their bit too!! those grey coats were a pain in the ass.

I'd ahte tot hink howmany good fish we lost to them

At the end we bought out the big gear, torsa 30's with braid that looked like rope! (100lb or so) in an attempt to get good fish past them!

TWITCHEMUP's picture

Date Joined: 12/05/10

Great Fish..

Wed, 2011-04-20 17:03

Some great fish there Paul and good to meet ya mate, I look forward to next year's comp...

SHIMANO PRO ANGLER

STEVE231's picture

Date Joined: 05/01/10

Nice effort Paul, looks like

Thu, 2011-04-21 18:58

Nice effort Paul, looks like Jody certainly kept her own.

Some of those Coronations are rippers!!