Exmouth 2014

Just got back from a couple of weeks in Exmouth. This years trip wasn't the best weather wise but we still managed some quality fish and a great time was had by all. In the lead up to the trip I had a few outboard issues that no one could work out what was going on. A throttle position sensor that had a mind of it's own. Mangaed to get the outboard to run ok but still have a fault showing up on the smartcraft gauges. On the drive up we weren't sure if we would be able to get into town with all the flooding they had and reading there was road closures on the way into Exmouth. Had to take a bit of a detour to get into town but all was ok in the end. The town had recovered pretty quickly from the floods but there were signs everwhere of the damage it had done. We got another 90mm of rain overnight a week later but it didn't cause too much damage as like the previous down fall. 

First couple of days were spent over at Long Island. Got some good fish off the bottom and had a fun session in close to the island on Queenies and Trevs.

One not so lucky Queenie that gave an awesome aerial display before been bitten in half by a shark at the boat.

The next few days the wind was up. We did manage to get a few tuna in the gulf one afternoon but it was hard work in sloppy conditions. One of the tuna that was kept for sashimi.

Over the next week we had a few days where the wind dropped off in the arvo and we got out and into some good fish.

Found some nice Goldband out off the Murions in the hundreds. Muz with a good double header.

Fished into the night a few times as the wind dropped out. Daves stinky cod (Estury cod). These cods smell like crap when they hit the deck but are great to eat.

A little mackie caught on the NE side of the Murions while waiting for the wind to drop.

The last couple of days we spent trying to get a billfish. Two of the boys on the trip had never caught one before and one of our goals before the trip was to get them onto one. In some average conditions we managed to land a couple of blacks and was a great way to end another trip up north.

Adam Gallash's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/05

nice

Fri, 2014-05-16 12:01

Nice fellas, what camera you guys using, some of those pics are really sharp.

Site Admin - Just ask if you need assistance

Seaquest's picture

Date Joined: 22/10/09

Canon 50D

Fri, 2014-05-16 12:24

Canon 50D

Bodie's picture

Date Joined: 05/11/07

looks like a great trip mate,

Fri, 2014-05-16 12:03

looks like a great trip mate, and some good fish to go with it. Did you try the deeper stuff?

Seaquest's picture

Date Joined: 22/10/09

Gave it a go for about an

Fri, 2014-05-16 12:26

Gave it a go for about an hour with no luck and decided to use the good weather we had to do other things.

Hambo's picture

Date Joined: 17/11/11

Great pics mate, green with

Fri, 2014-05-16 12:03

Great pics mate, green with envy! Stuck on Barrow Island in the pissing rain as we speak.

**The more I learn about fishing the more I realise how much more I have to learn about fishing**

Twitch_11's picture

Date Joined: 30/07/13

Nice!

Fri, 2014-05-16 12:04

Some great fish there mate!!
Good to see some people still having success up there after hearing so many whinge and complain that its 'fished out and flogged'

Cruise Control's picture

Date Joined: 03/11/10

Some nice fish there Brendan.

Fri, 2014-05-16 12:07

Some nice fish there Brendan. Good news that most of your fish weren't ravaged by sharks (bloody things). Im up in Coral in 7 weeks, cant wait !

cheers

dant's picture

Date Joined: 13/03/13

awesome job fellahs, some

Fri, 2014-05-16 12:13

awesome job fellahs, some great photos - would have been a fair hike from down your way

Wannafish's picture

Date Joined: 20/05/12

Great fish!I didnt think you

Fri, 2014-05-16 13:41

Great fish!

I didnt think you could eat Red Bass anywhere, or is that only right up north / over east due to Ciguterra?

Drew

crasny1's picture

Date Joined: 16/10/08

Great Pics

Fri, 2014-05-16 13:46

And some cracker fish. Wondering with the 2 Chinaman whether you kept them for the table. Cant see any in the table shot. But there is a nice Red bass, so I presume it is not Ciguatera fear. Off dampier I kept all the Chinaman because I rated them highly on the table. Probably would never have tried them, but the first 2 fish we caught when we got the boat up there were China's, and knowing ciguatera wasnt an issue decided to "try" them. Bloody nice IMO. But not as nice as the other red fish.

"I would like to die on Mars. Just not on impact!!" _ Elon Musk

Lamby's picture

Date Joined: 04/08/09

Good pics of the boys Doaks,

Fri, 2014-05-16 14:52

Good pics of the boys Doaks, Muzza's red is a ripper (as are all those pics actually)

Good work in the trying conditions

Boydy's picture

Date Joined: 26/09/12

Nice

Fri, 2014-05-16 15:05

Some top fish there, good to see an old Penn Spinfisher SS getting a run in with the flash stuff!

Xtreme Coolers's picture

Date Joined: 02/01/10

Nice work boys

Fri, 2014-05-16 18:11

Looks like you did very well in very average conditions. I like your table of 20. Nice day out off the long. A shame the weather was so bad regarding the billies. Just glad to hear the boat shaped up and you could get out.

See you boys soon.

Dave

Date Joined: 26/04/14

cant wait till i eventually

Fri, 2014-05-16 18:21

cant wait till i eventually get to exxy

dkonig82's picture

Date Joined: 06/07/10

nice work mate, looks like a

Fri, 2014-05-16 19:13

nice work mate, looks like a fun trip

When asked by a non-fisherman 'how many fishing rods do you really need?' the correct answer is either:

n+1 (where n is the number of fishing rods you currently own); or

n-1 (where n is the number of fishing rods which would cause your significant other to dump you. 

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

Great stuff Brendan, glad

Fri, 2014-05-16 20:58

Great stuff Brendan, glad you managed to at least get out and get a decent bag. Some great pics there, hope to catch up later in the year.

Love the West!

Date Joined: 16/08/09

Great stuff there fellas,

Sat, 2014-05-17 12:41

Great stuff there fellas, more quality work work from exxy Doaks. 

Patto 1's picture

Date Joined: 02/12/10

Great stuff Brendan and some

Sat, 2014-05-17 21:31

Great stuff Brendan and some quality fish landed ,good to hear you got the boat sorted and got it up there in the end .

null