First Marron trip - season 2013 - Last Night!!!

Loving the diversity of fishing I look forward to the marron season every year. There's something about the journey/destination/catch that keeps me coming back every year!

Yesterday myself, Shaun (FW Shabba) and Michael headed off to Harvey dam to snare some marron. We got down early and got a spot, cracked a coldy,had a swim and cranked up the bbq......It doesnt get much better

We waited for early sunset, set the pellet baits and then waited for full darkness. Once dark the wind had backed off which was nice and plenty of small marron around but a bit quiet on the first few runs!

After a few cold beverages whe did a few more passes and the marron started to fire. It was Michaels first time snaring marron and he did well, we all got marron and ended up with our 3 bag limits!

Was a great arvo/evening with good mates and plenty of laughs.....cheers fella's

Shaun got a cracker marron that he took out of the esky for a pic!!!

Ben Derecki's picture

Date Joined: 10/10/07

I've got to have a crack at

Thu, 2013-01-10 23:43

I've got to have a crack at that one day.

Nice work RT.

pricey10's picture

Date Joined: 07/01/12

Mmmmmm tastey! I haven't had

Fri, 2013-01-11 01:27

Mmmmmm tastey! I haven't had a feed of marron since I left Perth 

Karratha. WA

soupster51's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/06

Good stuff

Fri, 2013-01-11 05:41

Great to see some marron in the cooler. It's a longish drive so to be rewarded for the efforts is always good.

The best reason for doing what's right today is tomorrow.

Jorie's picture

Date Joined: 04/09/12

good stuff cant beat the

Fri, 2013-01-11 10:46

good stuff cant beat the good old marron trips. done well boys.

fisho-ron's picture

Date Joined: 26/09/09

great catch mate, the best

Fri, 2013-01-11 18:07

great catch mate, the best eating shellfish you can get mate, shit all over crays.

dont mind the yabbies as well.

jighead's picture

Date Joined: 03/02/12

Catch care

Sat, 2013-01-12 09:46

I notice you have the marron on ice in the esky ryan. Would that be preferable to keeping them alive in a hession sack if i wasn't going to cook them for a couple of days or is that because you were going to cook yours soon after? I just thought marron went off quickly when they were dead weather chilled or not. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Date Joined: 01/01/70

Marron!

Sun, 2013-01-13 22:19

Jighead, I keep my marron in a wet hession sack whilst marroning and then we dump the marron off at the " car base " where they get transfered to another wet hession sack again which is dunked periodically!

On transport back to my home they stay in the wet hession sack in my bucket until I get home. When home I put them into my drinks esky (Extreme coller) which just happens to have ice for a quick picture then they go back into my wet hession sack and into my fridge/crisper area!

That way has served me well for the last 14 years of marroning........geez they taste sweet!!!!!! 

Thanks fellas for all your comments.........I have a saying with my mates and thats " nothing happens unless you make it" .....get yourself down South and get into them........diversity as an angler is great and an awesome place to kick back with a beer whilst waiting for the sunset!!!!

Hebbs's picture

Date Joined: 23/01/12

Nice!! Did 4 years at

Sun, 2013-01-13 23:07

Nice!!

Did 4 years at Pemberton and many a marron trip on the Warren, definitely a great experience everyone should do at least once.

Ah the memories.... :)

It's not rocket surgery...

choc's picture

Date Joined: 05/01/12

Well done Ryan.We have been

Mon, 2013-01-14 05:41

Well done Ryan.

We have been doing well with the drop nets,but I am keen to try the snaring in the dams.

Can I just ask how deep you set the baits?

I do alot of marroning in the rivers but what sort of areas do you target in the big dams?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Choc.

Marron info!

Wed, 2013-01-16 13:59

Hi Choc,

Thanks mate, I set my baits in a bit deeper than shallower as some marron can be spooky to come to the real shallows especially if the water is warm!

You dont want them out too far either so that your walking into the water as that can disturb the bait and/or spook the marron!

I marron all sections of a dam, just find areas where theres slighlty deeper water near the edge and dont marron too shallow!

All the best, hope that helps

Date Joined: 19/12/10

marron

Mon, 2013-01-14 13:21

hi ryan what did you use to make the snare?we went to dwellingup on sat night drop netting only had 3 sized ones lots of small cheers daniel

Snare Info!

Wed, 2013-01-16 14:05

Hi Schmik,

I use a two peice 10ft rod blank with thick white wire attached to the end. The longer snare makes it easier to snare the deeper drop offs and when the marron is out further!

A descent snare and marroning the dams should see some good results!

Give it a try mate...all the best

crasny1's picture

Date Joined: 16/10/08

Ryan is spot on with the hession

Mon, 2013-01-14 14:44

Lived for 2 years on Stansfield rd in harvey (now underwater with the dam).

The only way is to keep them moist. Marron can travel overland and survive, so if they dont like a dam etc they walk. Keeping them alive and moist keeps them pristine.

Snare material is open to debate, but I always use thin white electrical wire. White so I can see it. I use any old fishing rod and strip the guides off. A beach rod is better for lenght. Because off where I lived I had heaps of practice, and even "practiced" during the closed season for fun, but never took them. Had a dam on the property that if I wanted a feed provided heaps, but snaring is just so much fun compared to nets.

I anyone would like some info pm and I will pass on some strategies.

Neels

"I would like to die on Mars. Just not on impact!!" _ Elon Musk

crasny1's picture

Sorry ryan to pinch the post a little

Wed, 2013-01-16 07:47

But a few have pmed me for hints. I have answered a few questions and stitched together a sort of hint guide.

Ill post this here. Not otganised as I added answers to it, but hopefully some might get the drift.

"

No worries at all. See what I wrote to another member(s). Baits depends on water depth, and your snare pole. But not far off shore. If you enter the water the marron spook. Some do it this way, I dont. Also ripples created on the water effect the snaring. When you try and find a spot, aim at a spot that will be upwind of the forecast. Easterly, try the east side of the dam etc. Some spots for baits will be deeper, but also close to shore. If you see structure like an old log etc, place the baits near it, not on it, otherwise the marron grab a pellet and hide under the structure.

Posted this to another member:

Baits Position depend on the lenght of the snare. I find that a flat torch scares them, and a very bright one has 2 effects. Either scares or stun.

I dont shine the torch on the bait, but a little to the side. Then set the snare behind them, and bring the light closer in. They then walk backwards, into your snare if you have it all set. Obviously dont always work, but works for me. Baits very close to shore work, but footsteps can spook them. If you have to go into the water to get to them, same story. About a foot deep is ideal, but in some spots I go deeper. Best about 15-20m apart, or they get confused about which bait to go to. Try not to stamp around like a drunken jobbo. Stalk them with cunningness. If there is more than 1 on the bait and you get one, try and catch the first with finesse, and you can get the next

When you form the look in the wire for the snare try and make it a big circle (about grapefruit size) and flatten the bottom out a little, because that will sit on the bottom behind the marron. As mentioned white electrical wire. Should be thin enough to hold its shape as a noose. Make sure there is no kinks in it, as this will stop the snare action. I use a lefties loop knot to tie the snare loop, but anything will do, provided it runs free on the line. Sounds confusing when I read it myself but I hope you get this.

Then chook pellets. Dont put them out to soon. Wait till it is almost dark, as ducks and fish will destroy them, and the smell would "waste" away before the marron get active. Then check every 20-30mins. If the bait is thinned out, top it up, but dont use a large amount of pellets, a handful is enough. If you use to much the marron come in, feed quick and piss off.

Be patient. Some people try and bring the snare up behind the marron. You can do that, but be very gentle. I prefer to set the noose, and then use the torch to make them slowly back away, into your noose. See above. Never shine the torch directly on them. They tail flick away often. Bring the light from the side. As soon as they seem to move dont shine more light on them. The bigger the marron, the easier it is, so dont think the little ones are easier to practice on.

Hope this helps a little, but have fun."

Neels

Faulkner Family's picture

Date Joined: 11/03/08

nice feed of the fresh water

Wed, 2013-01-16 08:30

nice feed of the fresh water delicasies. gotta be happy with the results first trip out

RUSS and SANDY. A family that fishes together stays together

Francis's picture

Date Joined: 17/06/08

Looks so good, im getting

Wed, 2013-01-16 11:34

Looks so good, im getting down south this weekend for my first attempt of the year. Hopefully i can compliment this report with one of my own!

Whats your thoughts on how marron are affected by the moon ? I really wanted to get down last weekend because of the new moon but had to settle with this weekend which is 1st quarter and a bit more.

jighead's picture

Date Joined: 03/02/12

Moon

Wed, 2013-01-16 11:43

I have found it to be hard work snaring around a full moon but I spose if you were using nets in deepish water it probably wouldn't matter too much.

crasny1's picture

Ditto

Wed, 2013-01-16 13:54

Full moon seem to slow them

Moon phase!

Wed, 2013-01-16 14:15

Hi Francis,

The Full moon isnt the best for marroning, this weekend has some moon but the moonsetting is around midnight onwards. So if the marron go quiet after the first few runs after sunset the early hours of the morning should also produce!

Marroning is about taking what ever opportunity you can so all the best this weekend

Marron!

Wed, 2013-01-16 14:24

Thanks for all the comments guys, have answered all Marron " how to PM's " and happy to help!

I've been marroning down at the dams including Harvey for a very long time.......... I went down again last night and got my bag of marron (post to come) ......  =) 

Date Joined: 12/03/12

ryan, if you ever need a

Wed, 2013-01-16 20:40

ryan, if you ever need a marroning buddy give me a msg. grew up on a marron farm but i dont eat them. win win i guess haha. nice job mate. did you boil them or chuck em on the bbg with chilli and garlick?

shabba's picture

Date Joined: 26/02/08

Thank's again Ryan, it was a

Wed, 2013-01-16 20:50

Thank's again Ryan, it was a top day, night. Nice chilled arvo swim, BBQ & beer's. Geting ready 2 catch the marron. Then 2 bag out was awesome... P.s good 2 see your living the dream, out fishing most days, & if the weather is crap, going 2get marron squiding or crabing in the swan....  Spending time out there, sure get's you the good's .... 

Francis's picture

Date Joined: 17/06/08

Thanks Guy's / Ryan... seems

Thu, 2013-01-17 12:34

Thanks Guy's / Ryan... seems you are the marron / fish whisperer  Good on ya for sharing your years of experience and knowlegde. It obvious by the pic's that you've done the time and get to reap the rewards!

Will post up how we go over the weekend!

tadpole's picture

Date Joined: 28/01/13

Had a marron up at Moore

Mon, 2013-01-28 22:15

Had a marron up at Moore River last week but no go. Heard there's marron up there but haven't seen any in 2 attempts

MickyDav's picture

Date Joined: 15/11/09

We went to HArvey on Sunday,

Tue, 2013-01-29 11:21

We went to HArvey on Sunday, only got one but it was 115mm measuring from the tip of the horn to the back of the carapus or however yopu spell it :) , moon was really bright, going to head down again on Saturday.