Furuno FCV 587 keeps turning off

Just installed a new Furuno FCV 587 and everytime I restart my motor the sounder turns off.

My new lowrance chart plotter stays on no problem but the Furuno looses power.

Its a bit of a bugger everytime I turn the motor on to get back on my drift the sounder cuts out, turns back on again no problem once its started.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this to happen ?

Regards

Date Joined: 27/06/11

Keeps turning off

Mon, 2015-05-25 14:35

my 585 always turns off when my boat battery charge is too low, once batteries are at a good level no problems

reece's picture

Date Joined: 10/07/08

Have you got dual batteries?

Mon, 2015-05-25 14:37

Have you got dual batteries? I had it in a mates boat it started to happen when his betters was in the way out! 

Any one free to help me pull my drum lines tomorrow? 

kirky79's picture

Date Joined: 13/01/12

Yeah mine does the same

Mon, 2015-05-25 15:08

Yeah mine does the same mate. I run out on one battery, when I get to the spots I'll be working I turn on both batteries, which stops it happening. Then for the trip home swap over to the other battery. A bit of a hassle but stops it cutting out. 

Date Joined: 13/11/11

Put your batteries on a

Mon, 2015-05-25 15:41

Put your batteries on a trickle charger while it's parked up. Solved the problem for me. 

Anchorman's picture

Date Joined: 19/09/14

My Garmin does the same to

Mon, 2015-05-25 15:41

My Garmin GPSMAPS 4008 sounder does the same, I have swapped out the batteries with two new batteries recently as they were low, but still turns of when I start the motor would be very interested if anyone has any feedback to.

Date Joined: 10/01/07

Yes I am running dual

Mon, 2015-05-25 15:46

Yes I am running dual batteries.

Thanks kirky I will try and see if it happens when I am on both. I bit of a worry though spending most of the day on Dual.

It looks like I am not the only one so be good to get to the root cause of the fault. My brother has the same sounder with no problems at all.

My be its a case of getting a better battery of some discription !

RobertMc's picture

Date Joined: 19/01/09

is the power running straight

Mon, 2015-05-25 16:56

is the power running straight off your battery, or through a buzz bar with all your other accessories?

It is running straight off

Mon, 2015-05-25 17:25

It is running straight off the buzz bar

RobertMc's picture

Date Joined: 19/01/09

Maybe the wires going to

Mon, 2015-05-25 17:37

Maybe the wires going to your buzz bar from your battery are not thick enough to support the voltage drop while cranking? Maybe try running wires straight to your battery or isolator For your sounder.

Date Joined: 09/10/14

Happened to me too with

Mon, 2015-05-25 17:01

Happened to me too with Lowrance HDS10, 2 new Optima Marine batteries sorted it, the old ones tested low on Cranking Amps. . .

sstevee's picture

Date Joined: 15/11/11

I thought that it is bad

Mon, 2015-05-25 17:15

I thought that it is bad practice to run on dual unless you are trying to jump start.

If one battery is dead it will suck the juice out of the good one leaving you with two dead batteries

Date Joined: 27/08/09

Yes.... run and start on one

Tue, 2015-05-26 10:08

Yes.... run and start on one battery. The other is your spare. Alternate batteries each trip, and keep them charged up with a good multi stage charger when not being used.

Avoid paralleling your batteries. If one has a faulty cell it will drain and damage your good battery.

As for your sounder dropping out. Yes you most likely have a volt drop issue when starting. Is this developed recently or have you had it all the time.

Check all your connections from the battery to the sounder, charge you battery, consider up sizing the cables that supply your electronics.

Willlo's picture

Date Joined: 07/10/11

My 585 does the same thing,i

Tue, 2015-05-26 09:46

My 585 does the same thing,i think once your voltage drops below a certain point the sounder cuts out automatically ,some kind of surge protector.As stated above yr batteries need to be juiced up a little more.There is plenty in them to start the boat ,just not enough in them to keep the sounder going at a safe level.I have found that if you have done a short run to the fishing grounds it happens more often,either juice them up ,go on a longer run before you start turning yr motor on and off ,buy a trickle charger or new batteries ,your choice.Dont run both batteries at the same time.I went through the same dilemma as you are and ended up buying a solar trickle charger,if you go this way make sure you dont leave the charger going for months without using them otherwise it will have the opposite effect and drain your batteries.I also tried what Robertmc suggested and ran the batteries direct,it worked for a little while but if your not using the boat consistently you eventually end up with the same problem. Hope this helps 

Call Sign - BZ785

Haynes Hunter Prowler CC

Thanks, you are all correct

Tue, 2015-05-26 11:36

Just had a responce from Wayne at Furuno.

Quote.

The problem you are seeing is caused by the terminal voltage of the battery dropping to below 12 volts while engine is being turned over. This is normal as the sounder is designed to turn itself off if the voltage drops below this level.

So basically the battery has to not drop below 12v when crancking. I will just have to check batteries or see a sparky or put up with it. He does state that it is not hurting the sounder in any way, its just a bit of a pain.

Cheers