Gnarloo 2014

DAY 1
the track in wasn't as brutal as what people have ben saying it is but the track from 3 mile to the home stead was just horrible
we did a small your arround the place and visited toomb stones to watch the surfies cheat death as they climbed of the cliffs to get out of the water then we drove up to the bay for some snorkeling and drinks on the beach while watching the sun go down

DAYS 2, 3 & 4
we tried the bay with no luck and trolling there olny produced a small tuna which got sharked at the boat. and we started to doubt weather or not there were actually fish here; even spear fishen produced nothing. 

DAY 5
we changed fishing location and launched out of the lagoon and traveled south. we picked up a coupple of tuna then decided to bottom bounce in 40m producing shit loads of red throught (good fun on light gear), baby spangles and small cod but no red emps.

DAY 6
the ol boy was sick the day after as well as our mate, derik, who we were staying with so no fishing which was a bummer considdering it was flat calm.

DAY 7
my ol man was still sick so he stayed at camp. we launched out of the lagoon and trolled north. i was the first to hook up with a screaming run then pulled hooks. our derik's young bloke landed a spotted mackie then a sized spanyard then it was deriks turn landing a metre broard bar mackie then i steped up to the plate landing a 15kg spanyard, 75cm blue fin tuna and a small spottie which was released. after that we lost a few lures and headded back to camp. we returened in the arvo for another try resaulting in me landing another bluefin and a size mackie, derik's young bloke landed a small tuna and deric pulled another metre mackie.

DAY 8
we woke early to attend the dawn service at toomb stones. my ol man was feeling better but stayed at camp to start packing upleaving deric, his young bloke and i to the fishing.returning to the same place as yesterday but to our suprise it was quiet as so we kept on trolling just as the border to the sanctuary zonecame into sight i hooked on to at first i thaught was a small mackie then it woke up leaving me white knuckeled and my reel screeming as it stripped 10kg drag like it was on free spool resaulting in me being busted off arroung the reef. after loosing more tackle to some biggens we sighted a school of tuna and we trolled past then resaulting in a tripple hookup i lost my fish and lure to a leader failure derik pulled the hooks on his and his young bloke lost his at the boat. so we did what any fisherman did after loosing many lures and fish, we packed up andheadded for camp with no fish in the esky and on top of that it started to pour down but i wasn't complaining i was too buisy planing how to tackle em next year.

the track out was muddy as hell with heaps of roos drinking out of the copious amounts of puddles that littered the track.

have a good one

Image Upload: 

Date Joined: 05/12/09

Still better than ANY good

Sun, 2014-04-27 12:21

Still better than ANY good day at work!!! Some nice catches there, and those red throat are sweet as on the chew!!

ive actually been having some leader failure also recently as well as a mate of mine! 

Hope the trip was still a blast!!! 

tot's picture

Date Joined: 31/01/10

good report suggarman

Sun, 2014-04-27 13:04

sounds like you guys had some nice weather. how busy was it during the holidays?
good to see the bait table has a new layer on top, sheet of stainless would be well worth it if paul ever got to it.

Reverse cycle a/c supply and install - Ducted and wall splits

suggarman's picture

Date Joined: 13/10/13

the first few days were

Sun, 2014-04-27 13:18

the first few days were horrible with the wng picking up a 6am then not stopping well into the night
3 mile was packed but arround anzac day people started going home it was about 90% surfies any way so no wait at the ramps

have a good one

outdoinit's picture

Date Joined: 05/10/12

Good report mate.. Thx for sharing

Sun, 2014-04-27 13:50

Gotta love that beach camping when the wind is blowing.. 

I've spent half my life fishing.. The other half I have wasted.. 

suggarman's picture

Date Joined: 13/10/13

it all adds to the

Sun, 2014-04-27 15:40

it all adds to the experiance

have a good one

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

Good report there Suggarman.

Sun, 2014-04-27 16:15

Good report there Suggarman. Getting my juices flowing as we'll be there in 5 weeks time. Yeah fingers crossed with the weather.

Love the West!