Haines Hunter 650 classic advice

Hi all,

I'm in the proccess of purchasing a Haines Hunter 650 classic and i have an issue with the kill tank set up. It doesn't have a bung to release water, so you either sponge it out or pump it out, I suppose with a bildge pump. What do people do with the same kill tank set up as this as I've seen it on quite a few boats while searching?

I use to have a boat with a flooding kill tank. It was so easy to clean when there was blood in it and it was easy to drain. 

My solution is I could cut a hole into the back wall of the kill tank and put a bung in it (but all the blood and crap will end up in the bildge) and then pump it out which really dosn't turn me on. This is about the only gripe I have concerning this boat,, but tts not a deal beaker for me.

Are there any owners of the Haines Hunter 650 classic who have a flooding kill tank, and if so, I'd and would like to know how they have achieved it? Other questions....how does the boat go? and if anybody has been on one are they as good as the reviews say they are? The boat I'm getting is going to be used mostly as a fishing rig with the odd stay at Rotto or wherever.

AHarman's picture

Date Joined: 22/03/12

Ripper hulls

Mon, 2018-12-31 06:29

Have the 580 breeze. Handles rough seas brilliantly. Have heard t.tabs help the 650. Can't assist with kill tank but wouldn't want all that crap stuck around a bilge

Alpha's picture

Date Joined: 13/02/17

Thanks

Mon, 2018-12-31 08:18

I'm excited about getting it Aharman. Doesn't come with trim tabs. I would have thought with 225 pony's there's enough there for the trim of the engine to be usefull. Trim tabs maybe the next addition.

Glad you enjoy the 580 breeze, can I assume it has a kill tank? and how do you drain it?

Date Joined: 28/07/11

Thats weird that they

Tue, 2019-01-01 03:19

Thats weird that they essentially have a big 'bucket' in them that cant be emptied. Not a HH but my tank has a macerator pump attached to the drain hole which gets 99% of it out.

Date Joined: 23/04/14

What year?

Tue, 2019-01-01 10:55

I had a 2014 Haines Hunter 650R which is essentially the same hull.  The centreline kill tank definitely had a drain in it. 

Alpha's picture

pump

Tue, 2019-01-01 21:35

Bluedog Thanks for your reply and Happy New Year. The pump you have attached, is that permanatly hooked up to the tank? If so do you just bucket water in to fill?

2012 Resurgence, Happy New Year. i could get a skin fitting drilled through the tank and out through the hull, I'm assuming there's a gap between the tank and the hull which may create another issues.

How did you like the ride of the 650R?  

Date Joined: 23/04/14

Excellent

Wed, 2019-01-02 18:22

Ride was first class.  Used to regularly fish the trench for marlin, unless it was really snotty I had no problems sitting on 23-26 knots.

Went out in some crappy conditions but my own sense of preservation stopped me well before the capabilities of the boat ever did. 

Date Joined: 28/07/11

Yes the macerator is

Sat, 2019-01-05 13:37

Yes the macerator is permantly attached. There is a drainhole at the stern end of the tank which it is connected too and it empties out the side of the boat thru a skin fitting. As for filling, I dont ever really use it for water/ice, more for storage. But if I were to fill it then yeah id bucket it or use the deckwash. I have another live bait tank which has its own pump to fill while its drain is gravity fed.

Willlo's picture

Date Joined: 07/10/11

I've got a 5.8 cc haines  ,

Wed, 2019-01-02 07:31

I've got a 5.8 cc haines  , the kill tank / eskie is plumbed direct to the bilge. High pressure hose seem to clear it out and every now and then i clean both out with a btl of domestos. I've had the boat since 2005 and it all works great. Although in a perfect world kill tank plumbed to bypass the bilge would be better but it's not that big of a drama, certainly not worth the effort and cost of cutting into the boat. BOAT -- bring on another thousand eh lol.

Call Sign - BZ785

Haynes Hunter Prowler CC

Faulkner Family's picture

Date Joined: 11/03/08

had the same issue with a

Wed, 2019-01-02 20:28

had the same issue with a kill tank . mine we use as an esky but i had a stainless insert made up which can easily be removed for cleaning. very little water gets in .as long as its insulated it will hold fish and 2 bags of ice all day 

RUSS and SANDY. A family that fishes together stays together

Jackfrost80's picture

Date Joined: 07/05/12

My mate has the HH 650

Tue, 2019-01-08 22:49

My mate has the HH 650 Offshore. He uses the kill tank to stash away his esky bag and puts the fish in that which lifts straight out leaving the mostly clean tank just needing a hose out

Officially off the Pies bandwagon

Alpha's picture

Jack

Tue, 2019-01-08 23:37

how do you like the Haines hunter? 

Jackfrost80's picture

Date Joined: 07/05/12

It's a dream

Wed, 2019-01-09 11:32

It's a dream

Officially off the Pies bandwagon