Jigging combo Day Wed 24/11

Heading out tomorrow for a jig as well as some tuna and I've caught a couple of y/tail kings from West End so a bit of everything and I've got the co ords of a few new wrecks to try out. Anyone keen? give me a call. Price $180 for F/W dudes. Regards, Craig 0427280770

Weather looking good. Have 6 so need 3 more.

A good days fishing is better than ...........anything!

Aaron Santos's picture

Date Joined: 12/11/10

very tempting Craig,

Tue, 2010-11-23 12:40

very tempting Craig,

Still trying to catch fish!

West Coast Eagles Supporter and Proud Member.

Date Joined: 30/01/10

Hey guys I have enough now

Tue, 2010-11-23 15:46

Hey guys I have enough now but room for you if you keen. Ive got 7 people for Thursday so jump on either.

Just thinking what people think, if you are a dedicated jigger and you use live bait . Is it Cheating or just using a method thats working and I wonder why not as many sharks.Maybe jigs attracting sharks?

Ryan C's picture

Date Joined: 08/07/10

jigs vs live bait

Tue, 2010-11-23 19:12

hi all craig has made an interesting point, as in my post of saturday we used live bait and converted every bait to a hookup , 18 baits used ,. 18 hookups within 2 minutes of sending them down, now i know its not fashioable or the "in" thing but it outperformed the 15 odd boats that were within 20 metres of us all day and our arms were tired from fighting fish not jigging and the inexperienced crew i had on board saturday were dumbfounded as to why people didnt resort to bait and enjoy the non stop action we were having, i tried to explain that some people enjoy the challenge that jigging offers but they couldnt see the appeal of the pain of working the jigs hard !! when you could just freespool a bait (it doesnt have to be live we also used whole dead scalies and they worked too) down and hook up at your leisure ,   what do people think???

fisho-ron's picture

Date Joined: 26/09/09

we were out there and had a

Tue, 2010-11-23 19:21

we were out there and had a hole hearing and a squid at differant times without a touch?

can you buy scalies? if so where?

but might try the livies!!!

grayzeee's picture

Date Joined: 09/07/09

i can only speak for myself

Tue, 2010-11-23 19:36

i can only speak for myself , but i find getting a decent fish on a lure is far more rewarding than dropping a bait and wait to see whats hungry.

admittedly at the moment they don't seem to be ready to smash a spanner , and so livies would certainly do well , as you proved.

but the challenge is in fooling them eh.

we found the schools hanging between 20 to 60 meters were responding far better to shorter jigs with more flutter rather than the long knife style.

If I spent half as long fishing , as I do reading this bloody forum , I'd be twice the fisherman I am. 

schecky's picture

Date Joined: 25/08/08

Amen to that, in my books a

Tue, 2010-11-23 19:39

Amen to that, in my books a livie would be cheating hahaha

I cant see how jigs would make a difference in the sharks at all, if anything I would think sharks would be more partial to a livie due to the distress signals they give off?

Ryan C's picture

scalies

Tue, 2010-11-23 19:25

yes i bought them at bluewater morley , but the livies we caught at little island (hillarys) the night before , we had 18 snook about 40cm long and some herring and sand whiting and kept them in the bait tank all night till i picked up the crew at 630 at hillarys, but stopping for 1/2 hour and berlying up some whiting and herring will do the trick.

JohnF's picture

Date Joined: 07/07/10

I had success on livies

Tue, 2010-11-23 19:38

I had success on livies about 6 weeks ago (5 livies, 5 hook-ups), next trip jigs were better.

I must say I much prefer the sensation and work of jigging, and would rather get one on jig vs 10 on livies.....dead bait has left my boat for good methinks......maybe make an exception for snapper after dark.

Boston Whaler 235 Conquest......getting the flogging it was built for.

Date Joined: 21/02/08

Dunno it can be pretty hit

Tue, 2010-11-23 19:44

Dunno it can be pretty hit and miss regardless what you're on. I've had the good luck to get fish on a couple of trips when people have been blanking, and in at least a couple of occasions people just weren't targeting the fish the right way.

DazSamFishing's picture

Date Joined: 19/08/09

Challenge & reward

Tue, 2010-11-23 19:59

Challenge & reward associated with jigging is far better than dropping bait down. Anyone and everyone can drop bait.

I've noticed this season that plenty of people jig away without sounding out fish (as Jamie has also noticed). Sound the fish out first before dropping & you won't have a tiring day.

You also don't need to jig your arms off to initiate a sambo attack on a jig. Mix it up to see what works best.

Of course, there are times when the real thing will be more successful, but that's fishing. Same will apply the other way round (i.e. artificials will work better than bait at times).

The strike when jigging is also far greater than feeling a solid weight on a baiting outfit. There are plenty of species in the ocean that will stop you in your tracks when jigging - which adds to the thrill.

Alan James's picture

Date Joined: 30/06/09

Challenge & reward

Wed, 2010-11-24 14:30

Sounds like the jigging fraternity are becoming a little elitist Daz.  (Anyone and everyone can drop bait) Wink  Of late the challenge appears to keeping them away from the sharks rather than landing a fish that (if I understand it correctly with the gear most people use) wouldn't weigh more than line class.  Perhaps not that challenging.  Good fun tho.  Smile

DazSamFishing's picture

Date Joined: 19/08/09

By no means being elite.

Wed, 2010-11-24 15:58

By no means being elite. We're comparing a jigging technique to simply baiting a hook & slowly lowering it down into strike zone.

Catching any type of fish on any type of lure is far more rewarding & challenging IMO.

Date Joined: 30/01/10

Hey Ryan How many did you

Tue, 2010-11-23 20:44

Hey Ryan How many did you lose to sharks?what sort of ratio?seems to me that a smaller boat with less jigs in water seem to get more fish up.

Ryan C's picture

sharks/sambos

Wed, 2010-11-24 06:21

we lost no fish to sharks and boated 16 at the southern spots i , then we went and targeted sharks at the northern aggs and hooked up instantly so there def seems to be way more sharks at the northern spots..

Dreamtime's picture

Date Joined: 21/09/09

im keen

Wed, 2010-11-24 12:15

hey craig just noticed your goin out on thursday and im keen to come out for a bash if your still goin so give us a pm or ill give you a call this arvo! CBF takin the boat out by myself. talk to ya l8r

Ryan C's picture

jigs vs bait

Wed, 2010-11-24 16:21

hi all , thanks for the responses , and believe me if the fish were on jigs i would have pulled out the jigs but judging by the amount of fish i saw hooked by other boats (about 15 including blue juice with about 15 or more on board) jigs werent producing on the three southern spots we went to (i saw 2 fish hooked by other boats) i am glad we had the option of bait as we were hooked up constantly for a couple of hours and i go fishing generally just to fight fish and as large as i can find so i don"t care what method is used as long as i'm getting stretched.