Kwinnana Jetty7-7-2010

I decided to give the jetty there a try about 10 people were there catching herring and tailor

i took the 2 kids down left the youngest home with wife

i didnt catch anything had though i put a big rod  out and got a 45 cm shark son was happy when he reeled that in

A guy was fishing asnd got lots of herring and he gave them all to me 11 herring some people are nice thats for sure

not sure what i do wrong but i wasnt catching anything at all

will put some pics soon

i also droped my phone from jetty into water

fisherman1992's picture

Date Joined: 06/11/09

sounds like it wasnt your

Thu, 2010-07-08 09:12

sounds like it wasnt your night bugger about the phone try using a float and a bit of prawn and choped up mulies might do the trick on a very small hook you should get herring gardy and maby tailor if there around good fun for the kids

fishing isnt a sport its a lifestyle

antsey's picture

Date Joined: 13/02/10

wat type of shark  

Thu, 2010-07-08 09:16

wat type of shark

Pete D's picture

Date Joined: 07/06/07

Nice feed for not much

Thu, 2010-07-08 09:25

Nice feed for not much effort there!  Young one would have enjoyed catching JAWS too.

Did you check out what the rig the 'nice' person was using so you can duplicate next time?

Have lost a phone in the drink too...they need to make them float.

Cheers Pete

Date Joined: 11/06/10

He was using a rounder hook

Thu, 2010-07-08 09:27

He was using a rounder hook with just the swivel for weight and prawn for bait

i think the shark was a port jackson

Pete D's picture

Date Joined: 07/06/07

Very pretty shark and I

Thu, 2010-07-08 09:49

Very pretty shark and I believe protected (just checked...no there not...suppose as they are so common).  There are a heap of them in the sound.

Good luck on the herring next time.

Cheers Pete

Date Joined: 09/08/09

I reckon that PJ are the

Thu, 2010-07-08 10:00

I reckon that PJ are the second most useless fish after blowies. They eat your bait, usually mullie prepared for some decent fish.  When they hook themselves, you don’t even know it and they are just a dead weight. Sick of catching them. And even sicker when nothing is baiting even PJ. :)

JakeB's picture

Date Joined: 12/12/09

hey mate try using plenty of

Thu, 2010-07-08 12:57

hey mate try using plenty of pollard and tuna oil for burley.. small pieces of shelled prawn fished unweighted in the trail should produce some herring and gars.. also after sun set try using a glow stick and small set f gangs with no weight and whitebait or blue bait for the tailor, make sure you check the size n the tailor tho as many are just under from that jetty. good luck.

Shorty's picture

Date Joined: 10/05/08

Nightwolf,,i would check to

Thu, 2010-07-08 14:08

Nightwolf,,i would check to see what other folks are useing for rigs and bait and copy that exactly and make sure you are not on the bottom,you will catch more herring & tailor midwater off the Kwinny jetty & gardies as well.

The advice from LBG24KG above is something to take note of and ask other fishos around you why you are not catching anything,it might be a very simple reason.

i think its just cause i

Thu, 2010-07-08 15:03

i think its just cause i suck at fishing although ig ot nice big fish in cooktown when i was there

beau's picture

Date Joined: 24/01/10

Arghh i cant believe im

Thu, 2010-07-08 16:44

Arghh i cant believe im going to say this but, ive got my own spot i always go to at kwinana jetty mate. Its only good after dark when the lights turn on. As soon as you get onto the jetty stop at the very first light post on the left side. The herring love it there and you can often get big whiting. Ive seen some huge whiting there, the biggest ones ive ever seen, but theyre too old and smart to take the bait, but theyll have a nibble at something else right next to ur hook! Another good spot is on the left hand side, in the corner where it T's off at the end. Have a look under that light and you'll always see herring and if ur lucky some chopper tailor and squid! Hope this helps!

what about lures would they

Thu, 2010-07-08 17:08

what about lures would they take them at them i got hard and soft ones to try

beau's picture

Date Joined: 24/01/10

ive never tried soft

Thu, 2010-07-08 17:37

ive never tried soft plastics for whiting, but apparantely the red worm ones work pretty well