New motor 175 or 200hp

Well I just got the shock of my life, have been having trouble with the motor on the boat. to the point I have lost confidence in it reliability, to get me out and back safely. So it looks like no fishing for a while, so I thought. My wife Lisa just told me she had got $20, 000, for a motor for me UNBELEVABLE...
So I know this topic has been on many times before but some of you guys have had new motors of late and would appreciate some feedback .Am looking at the 175 or 200hp not too sure which model yet .so any info would be great, thanks.ye haaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Active Gyp-Rok solutions ,Residential  and commercial ceilings and walls

Faulkner Family's picture

Date Joined: 11/03/08

you have a good wife there

Tue, 2009-08-04 22:39

you have a good wife there Paul, you are so verry lucky, or is it so you and Jesse get out of her hair,LOL, . i think a 175 4stroke would push your boat along verry nicely and would be about in that 20k range

RUSS and SANDY. A family that fishes together stays together

Paul G's picture

Date Joined: 12/12/07

Yes got a good one all

Tue, 2009-08-04 22:46

Yes got a good one all right,I was thinking 2stroke, optimax,200hp the boat show is next week so i'll be there .

might be worth checking out,

Tue, 2009-08-04 22:49

might be worth checking out, you might even get a good bargain

Paul G's picture

Yes i'll give it a few days

Tue, 2009-08-04 22:55

Yes i'll give it a few days as i think a lot off the guys would have some good info .

Auslobster's picture

Date Joined: 03/05/08

Go a four stroke...

Tue, 2009-08-04 22:57

...if you want a great heavy thing that needs to be serviced every 100 hours. If not, go an E-tec. Here we go, maybe we'll get a nice argy-bargy "my motor's better than yours" debate on here again!

good luck with the hunt,not

Tue, 2009-08-04 22:59

good luck with the hunt,not worth risking too much with the old donk, we did exactly the same , too much trouble with the old so in with the new but ours only cost us 5k, bit cheaper than the one you got to get

alfred's picture

Date Joined: 12/01/07

I like the Suzukis, but

Tue, 2009-08-04 23:16

I like the Suzukis, but wouldn't mind considering an Etec, light, good on fuel and long service intervals.

Matt T's picture

Date Joined: 19/11/07

Wife!

Tue, 2009-08-04 23:31

Mate you're one lucky man!

Feral's picture

Date Joined: 01/11/06

ive always liked the yamaha

Tue, 2009-08-04 23:59

ive always liked the yamaha 4st. that are on a friends .. and i hate the vibration and noise that come from the 2st mercury motors that are on anothers ..
i suppose its a choice on 4v2 stroke but id never go past a 4 myself (i run inboard on my tinnie) .. never been in a boat running etecs so cant comment on them.

grayzeee's picture

Date Joined: 09/07/09

175 honda here very quiet

Wed, 2009-08-05 05:35

175 honda here
very quiet and reliable
you dont smell a thing.
my motor stays on all the time
no worries trolling all day
you'd be crazy not to service a motor every 100 hours , don't matter what you own
piece of mind when a ways out

If I spent half as long fishing , as I do reading this bloody forum , I'd be twice the fisherman I am. 

allrounder's picture

Date Joined: 10/11/08

i was going to say

Wed, 2009-08-05 06:17

175 honda if you want come for a run with me one day and i dont think you will look at another option.Did alot of research before we got ours and spoke to some mates that had over 3000 hrs on theirs before putting suzies on the back and hates them looking at putting hondas back on now.not a fan of the optis know a couple of guys out of mindarie that have had probs.If not the honda i would go the yamaha 200 looked at the etec but i will leave them alone until they iron out all the probs dont know of to many boat mech with etecs on their own boats.If you go down the honda path talk to men on boats if you go down the yammy path talk to men on boats then send me a pm and i will give you another guy to speak too and he may have a better price but i would say that would only be because of better buying price for him(due to the amount he turns over)The main reason for the honda over the yammy less emmisions and slightly better fuel economy and it is not like a big black or grey pimple on the arse of my boat.They just look nicer so the wife tells me.Even had a dealer told us they would paint another brand of motor to make the sale wife said no chance hondas all the way.Take a pic of the back of your boat and photoshop all the brands you are looking at on to the transom and ask the lovely wife (Who just gave you 20000 big ones out of the kindness of her heart)she will most prob go for the honda 8 times out of ten.LaughingJMO

So tell me have you got your info from years on the water or hours on the internet?

• was sponsored by Atomic Lures and Shimano but they dropped me.Now sponsored by Fog Dog(The best fish coating out there) and raider lures.

carnarvonite's picture

Date Joined: 24/07/07

Etec

Wed, 2009-08-05 07:19

Though the Etec I've got is only 60hp I can thoroughly recommend them,never had an ounce of trouble with it since I had it fitted.For fuel efficiency its slightly better than a mates Honda70 on a 2 foot bigger boat doing trips in tandem.

Still,I have to agree I like your missus' style saying"here darl,there's $20k for a new motor"

PilbaraBrad's picture

Date Joined: 16/05/07

i think you can safely buy a

Wed, 2009-08-05 07:20

i think you can safely buy a motor from any of the reputable brands these days and be pretty happy with it. I have heard horror stories about just about every make of motor out there today. Some one always know someone who has a brother whos uncle had "a bad one". A lot if it also comes down to how the motor is maintained and used.
You should also take into consideration (like i had to living remote) the after market service and availibility in your area. For me an e-tech was the best option as we have a very good authorised dealer / maintainer local. Suzy's well i would probably have gone for one if there was any one authorised to maintain them local.

Honda, yes, yammy, yes they all have their pros and cons. All modern outboards meet the new emission requirements, they have to otherwise they would be out of business. All have there most effective rev range for fuel eccenomy
Just a thought anyway.

Date Joined: 21/02/08

Who cares what motor,

Wed, 2009-08-05 07:22

Who cares what motor, certainly got the right wife!

mako magic's picture

Date Joined: 03/08/05

had the yammy on the other

Wed, 2009-08-05 07:37

had the yammy on the other boat, honda on the new boat and find the honda alot quieter and better on fuel

just dhu it's picture

Date Joined: 14/05/09

go the 200 hp

Wed, 2009-08-05 07:45

Paul if you can do it i would go the 200 hp a few extra hp is always good for the fuel economy, first thought would be the ETEC if you like 2 stroke and oils but have heard chivers marine who were the biggest Evinrude dealers have changed to Yammys otherwise the new suzukis or Yammy, ETEC have got the rebate at present, stay away from the veradas and i found the Optis very noisey

Lockie's picture

Date Joined: 29/05/08

Paul,Sorry to hear about

Wed, 2009-08-05 08:18

Paul, Sorry to hear about you having troubles with the old donk. i have had a 115 yammy 4stroke for nearly 8 months now and i have fallen in love with it ok they are a little buit more heavy but the fuel encony on them just blows me away also i can be doing 30kts on a nice flat day and still have a convo with me mate cause they are so quiet. i mean each to there own im sure you will find the motor for you. good luck mate and have fun at the boat show i have always wanted to be able to go to the show with the intention of buying sumthing cause the bargins are there for sure. HAve a good one mate DAve

bouttime's picture

Date Joined: 27/07/06

Suzuki

Wed, 2009-08-05 08:36

Suzuki all the way. Look at the 175hp as it is about 40kg lighter then the 200hp and has the VVT. Have over 200hrs on mine and not an issue. Very clean quiet motor. Was interesting to see so many boats at the last comp i fished running the Suzuki's. At least every 5th boat. Tested a boat the other day with a 200hp Optimax on the back and i have to say the power was awsome but the noise was a big difference to the 4 stroke. Tested another boat with the 200hp HO Etec and same issues. They all seem to be as economical as each other these days. Have a few mates with Honda's and Yammies and they are all good motors so at the end of the day what colour do you prefer, silver or black or blue. Any of the brands will do the trick. Shop around and see who will give you the best price on the day.

Date Joined: 05/12/06

225 Yammy 4

Wed, 2009-08-05 12:06

Ive got the same boat as yours Paul with the 225 Yamaha 4 stroke - No complaints about the yamaha from me - Ive had the rest, Honda 150, Suzuki 200 and a 200 "Optibomb" on different boats. Reckon the yammy is the pick of the bunch but as has been said before they're all good.

Bodie's picture

Date Joined: 05/11/07

agreed with Brad, There is

Wed, 2009-08-05 12:57

agreed with Brad,

There is very few differences now days between most top brand engines..

Really comes down to what else they offer.

e-tecs have 300 hour first service..pretty good if you ask me

Pretty sure honda have 5 year warranty(i think)

Only engine i can say stay away from is a verardo. Not because they are unreliable, but just because they use more fuel.

Im eithe going to put 2 x 175 etcs, or 2 x 175 suzi's on mine.

Did they just put the etec

Wed, 2009-08-05 13:29

Did they just put the etec warranty up to 5yrs this year?

grayzeee's picture

Date Joined: 09/07/09

would anyone run an e tech

Wed, 2009-08-05 14:39

would anyone run an e tech from brand new to 300 hours or 2 - 3 years with the same oil in the leg??
i'm not denying there good , but thats bordering on mistreatment/madness

If I spent half as long fishing , as I do reading this bloody forum , I'd be twice the fisherman I am. 

granta's picture

Date Joined: 01/01/09

yammy

Wed, 2009-08-05 16:21

185 gose great for me 2 stroke,on a 6.5mt fiberglass,top speed 35knt,starts first pop ever time even after sitting for 2 weeks as i work away,used $80 petrol for 30mil

Jody's picture

Date Joined: 19/04/07

What a woman!!

Wed, 2009-08-05 17:37

I can only hope my hubby would do the same for me

TWiZTED

Auslobster's picture

Date Joined: 03/05/08

Etec service...

Wed, 2009-08-05 19:00

took it in for it's first one back in May at 270 hours (2007) model, 90 hp. Got hydraulic steering put in at the same time so the labour hours got mixed together but my best guess is that the service by itself, which included a new impeller, thermostat, and plugs, as well as a gear oil change, was around $500 or so. As I was running up those hours, yep I was concerned about the gear oil, and cracked the drain plug once or twice just to check the appearance...has always looked like it just came out of the bottle. Apart from an annoying injector problem I had last year (warranty issue) the thing runs like the day it was born. When I was shopping around, the biggest factor for me was weight and at least in that horsepower range, the E-tec was clearly the lightest. Oil is expensive ($60/gallon) but it uses bugger all and you make up for the cost because of the long intervals between services. End of the day I'm extremely happy with my choice but as has been said already, you're going to get a good product no matter what you choose...the bar has been raised very high and all the major brands have to put on a good show.

And yes, BRP have extended the new motor warranty to five years...no doubt to keep up with what is offered by Honda and Suzuki.

with size of the motor as

Wed, 2009-08-05 21:58

with size of the motor as big a big question as what brand you got to look at what sort of speeds you will be doing to work out roughly what revs you will be running the motor at, high speeds yes go the bigger donk as it wont need as many revs to get there but if your comfortable cruising around in the mid 20's is going the extra 25hp going to make much diff, imo i dont think so. what size do you have atm Paul? its a lot to weigh up

Paul G's picture

Thanks for all your input

Thu, 2009-08-06 06:48

Thanks for all your input ,Im heading out to do the rounds today .see what is out there and for what price .I think as most have said ,most motors are on par with each other ,now i just got to work out do i go two stroke,or four ,

carnarvonite's picture

Date Joined: 24/07/07

Show

Thu, 2009-08-06 08:12

Make your decision and wait untill the boat show,then you can really push for the best deal by going to each mob and bargaining with them

And make sure they all see

Thu, 2009-08-06 12:11

And make sure they all see you talking to the other guys =)

Paul G's picture

Done deal, thanks Malcom and

Thu, 2009-08-06 14:47

Done deal, thanks Malcom and Ryan at Men on boats ,got myself a 200hp Honda,at a good price .Very happy now i'll have to wait for a couple of weeks, and then im out there ..

2 or 4 stroke Paul

Thu, 2009-08-06 22:12

was not sure which one you went for .

Jody's picture

Date Joined: 19/04/07

Nice!!!!

Thu, 2009-08-06 14:57

Bet there's a grin from ear to ear :)

TWiZTED

mako magic's picture

Date Joined: 03/08/05

must have been a good price

Thu, 2009-08-06 15:02

must have been a good price to get it so quick paul, you should be happy with it

Paul G's picture

Had a good look around today

Thu, 2009-08-06 19:14

Had a good look around today Yamaha, suzuki, opti ,some good prices, but Men on boats deal was the best on the day and the guys have been very helpfull in the last few months ,so i was more than happy to give them the business.If anyone is looking for a new motor check them out,as they fit all makes not just Honda .and from the prices today they bettered all the other dealers prices,on the other brands. But the honda was the best .Thanks for the input guys it all helped.

big john's picture

Date Joined: 20/07/06

Excellent

Thu, 2009-08-06 19:50

Always nice bolting a new motor on the back of any tub. You'll love having a four stroke Paul.

John

WA based manufacturer and supplier of premium leadhead jigs, fligs, bucktail jigs, 'bulletproof' soft plastic jig heads and XOS bullet jig heads.

Jigs available online in my web store!

Gratz on the new motor and

Thu, 2009-08-06 21:39

Gratz on the new motor and good to hear you got a good deal from the sponsors.

HuggyB's picture

Date Joined: 03/08/08

nice choice

Thu, 2009-08-06 23:11

might even give Matt a nudge with 200 ponies on the ass with daredevil Jesse at the throttle!

Wishing you many hours of trouble free boating.

The Terrorist - coming to a fishing spot near you.........

just dhu it's picture

Date Joined: 14/05/09

NEW DONK

Fri, 2009-08-07 16:36

well done paul , the new Hondas sound good and will do a great job it will be interesting to see power and consumption readings once you got some hours up, by the way how big is your Haines Hunter and what model, iam looking for a 6.5 SF island cabin , my brother inlaw pick up one recently and there a nice rig and have started looking around for something similar.

callum's picture

Date Joined: 29/10/08

honda

Fri, 2009-08-07 17:03

my mate has a 150hp honda on the back of their Hains Hunter 610 Classic.

i'm guessing by the looks of it, itss a similar rig to yours,
they are very happy with theirs and from what i hear good on the fuel.
starts first time everytime no matter how long it hasn't been started,

happy fishing