Date Joined: 15/08/11

Nice work and great fish

Mon, 2017-08-07 11:54

Nice work and great fish

kirky79's picture

Date Joined: 13/01/12

Awesome

Mon, 2017-08-07 12:07

Loved it. Just booked again for Christmas, cant wait. Only taking the tinny though. Great vid!!

Date Joined: 25/01/12

Great Vid

Mon, 2017-08-07 12:38

How long does it take to tow in the boat from the main road as been up with camper/tinny but thinking of doing it with the boat. 

dan1's picture

Date Joined: 11/07/07

towing

Mon, 2017-08-07 12:54

It took about 5 hours from coral bay to point billy we only averaged 5-10 kms per hour on the track
and allowing time to chat to Phil (great Bloke)
We allowed a whole day to get in so we thought no too bad

ranmar850's picture

Date Joined: 12/08/12

Track is variable

Mon, 2017-08-07 14:01

But generally shit  We generally allow about 2 1/2 hrs from bitumen to the Winderabandi gate, allowing time to check in and chat with Phil,  towing and loaded. This year coming out, just over 2 hrs from gate to bitumen, including checking out. My last boat ( 6m tinny) had an x-strong  trailer under it I had built myself, just hammered over it all. My current boat, glass, is on a very nice cradle tilting fully rollered Roadmaster, which I don't really trust, not built for it. First time I towed it in, did the rreeaallyy slow aproach, y'know, the one where you feel each.individual.corrugation. Following year, adjusted tyre pressures more, took it a bit quicker. This year, after more fine tuning, quicker again. Tyre pressures and keeping it in H4 really do help. Heavily loaded, boat has 25psi on LT's. vehicle has 35 rear on Dueller A/T 10 plys, and 27 front. Slide on Heaslip camper perched on the back of the 3m tray, 250 litres of fuel and water and big camping freezer between it and the cab. Just do 30-40  on the bad corrugations. The sudden humps and drops on the road will do more damage than the corrugations, beware of them with the trailer. If you come up behind someone who is electing for the very slow approach, you appreciate just how bad the road suddenly becomes. 

That being said, that road and the track north keeps the Exmouth tilt-tray operator busy in winter. There is a plow around now, long-termers take turns in dragging it behind vehicles to flatten the track. Makes a difference for a day or two. But the best run I ever had down the track to the homestead was after 2 days of northeasterly gales. We were first out the next morning, and the corrugations were gone, the sand blown flat. A bit like that when we left this year, too--a very strong sou'easter had come up overnight, and the corrugations from south of the South Lefroy turnoff weren't bad at all.

Kirky, have you been up there for xmas before? just interested, know it would be very hot, but whats the fishing like? We are currently locked into school holidays for my wife, I can stay longer, but I've love to go up there  end of April-May, before the water cools down.

kirky79's picture

Date Joined: 13/01/12

Our 3rd trip

Mon, 2017-08-07 15:41

Coming up Ranmar. I've only taken the tinny and don't stray too far from the reef. Have always caught a feed though. It is hot inland but camping right on the beach keeps it easily bearable. Wasn't real fun a few years ago coming home it was 44 at the turn off trying to inflate the tyres and the car registered 49 degrees near Minilya

dan1's picture

Time

Mon, 2017-08-07 18:18

I guess this was our first time and fully loaded we were very heavy everything in the boat for 3 plus 660l fuel and 150l water the boat is near 3 t empty so looking after the gear was priority number 1 

we could have gone faster but we had enough beer

Date Joined: 07/12/15

Nice One

Mon, 2017-08-07 16:47

Nice vid.  Didn't want to jump in with the whale shark?

Date Joined: 17/06/10

Thanks for posting the video

Mon, 2017-08-07 17:31

The drones really give a whole new perspective of things I think. They really show the corrugations on the road and present some great shots of the country side.

Just a quick question, are you sure you have enough rods onboard LOL.

dan1's picture

Rods

Mon, 2017-08-07 18:14

saves re rigging and with so many options its easier to just swap rods and be prepared a 

Date Joined: 12/11/12

good times

Mon, 2017-08-07 20:35

looks like u killed it up there dan ... no trent .. ?  ramp looked ok aswell 

ranmar850's picture

A drone would be great

Tue, 2017-08-08 06:28

A mate has one, certainly open up the perspective. Enough rods? nah, just not enough real estate to park them. We actually do work at keeping it to a minimum, but, as dan1 said, saves re-rigging. We got tired of that--there are 3 dedicated trolling rods, (50-80lb)only changes to them during the day would be to change the terminal tackle to either to a clip for putting skirts on, or a single circle for a skipping gar. Plus one overhead (50lb) each as a bait drifting/dropping rod, a jig rod or two, depending on whose fishing, and either one or two heavy spin outfits (50 and 80lb Stellas) for tossing gar at sails in the wake, who may have already pinched a skipping gar and are coming back for more. One of these will double as a balloon outfit--anchored up on windy days, always worth having a gar out under a balloon behind the boat, caught a lot of sails that way. The marlin you see hooked on the spin outfit, at anchor,before it busted  off, was hooked like that--had a lot of fun before the 120lb leader parted, he almost tailwalked into the boat at one stage. The jig rods really get very little use, unfortunately--I love jigging, but that PE 2-3  Crostage Majorcraft and Spheros 5000 filled with 30lb Depth Hunter really isn't up to it in that country. Fine for jewies and medium sambos down here.  I know others will disagree, but you really need more brute force. Jigs disappear at an alarming rate, even if you rig the assists with wire and have a short wire leader. Dropping normally rigged jigs? Be prepared to start with a large bucketful. That little 4kg Rankins you saw with the jig in his mouth would probably be the best fish I have ever actually landed on a jig up there. 

We are moving more into the serious trolling than previously, partly as a response to the inshore shark problem, but mainly for the adrenaline. That marlin I got last year has a lot to answer for, and finding a resource which was really so close to where we had previously confined ourselves, opens up the options. Don't think you need a bigger boat to chase sails, either--they are usually in around 25-40 metres, if they are about, and would be a lot of fun from a tinny. Catch some local gar off the beach, tie on a 8 or 9/0 circle to an 80lb leader on the end of whatever, tow it fast enough, 6-7 knots will do, to have it skip/slide along the water, and prepare yourself for some serious fun. The sharks "usually" don't bother them, only had it happen to me twice over a lot of years. 

ranmar850's picture

Sorry, answered in the wrong post

Tue, 2017-08-08 06:30

ranmar850's picture

Hey, great video, guys

Tue, 2017-08-08 07:45

had to break out my own computer and use my phone, can't access youtube at work. Don't always agree with the use of music in fishing videos--you can't hear screaming reels. But I guess it saves you having to edit out all the bad language when things get heated with F*in sharks.

Ron Ashcroft's picture

Date Joined: 22/11/07

Great video fellas well

Tue, 2017-08-08 13:19

Great video fellas well done.

Date Joined: 17/06/10

Thanks for the reply Ranmar850

Tue, 2017-08-08 16:14

I can see that when the bite is hot you wouldn't want to be mucking about changing rigs etc. good thinking.