Shimano Stella 6000HG

Hey everyone,

I have recently purchased a brand new Stella 6000 from BCF (only from BCF because it was on special). They didnt have one of that particular model in stock so they ordered one in brand new from Shimano Australia. The first dissapointment was that they ordered the pg instead of the hg. Then when they finally did get me the correct one, I went home and unboxed it and all. To my surprise it made this noise (I think from near the handle but not 100% sure) and to be honest it was not smooth at all, my Saragosa 10000 was actually smoother and this surprised me and i thought something was definetley wrong. So I took it back to BCF and they agreed that there was a significant noise and that there was something wrong, so they supposebley sent it back to Shimano to get a replacement/repairs.

Today we got the call from them that Shimano is refusing to give me a replacement or repair it because apparently there is nothing wrong with it? They stated that they stock Stella's with this noise and apparently they are not 100% smooth. I thought this was complete bullsh*t because I was expecting a $1000 top of the range fishing reel to be smoother than a mid range $300 reel?

Has anyone else experienced this before with the Stella 6000HG, and could anyone inform me if this is stock or are they just trying to rip me off? because i was expecting something silent and completley smooth?

Cheers in advance

Vinnie

Date Joined: 27/08/11

There's been a few posts in

Tue, 2016-08-30 17:44

There's been a few posts in this previously have a look in the search function though most reports were of small size xg (extra high gear) and I recall reading on other forums that the as builts may not have enough grease internally- check the Alan hawk review.

i own both 5 and 14k sized high gears and they are as smooth as any other high end reels I have. You should be able to go back in store and try it out against the other model sizes

vinniefisho's picture

Date Joined: 21/01/15

Cheers and yes I will be

Tue, 2016-08-30 18:32

Cheers and yes I will be going into store to see if there is a difference, the people at BCF said that they have already compared that so we will see if theyre lying or not:)

uncle's picture

Date Joined: 10/02/07

Doesn't sound very

Tue, 2016-08-30 18:49

Good hope they sort it.that would really piss me off

all aggressive fish love bigjohnsjigs

striker's picture

Date Joined: 26/09/14

I would email

Tue, 2016-08-30 19:03

shimano Australia and include a comment re consumer affairs. No reason at all that a reel out of the box shouldn't be smooth , would think you have a leg to stand on especially when the sales person agrees.

vinniefisho's picture

Cheers fellas

Tue, 2016-08-30 19:29

Yeah I will try that, if things dont get sort out tomorrow. Yeah I was fairly pissed when I felt it. 

BarraSlayer's picture

Date Joined: 14/04/14

Shimano are dropping the quality

Tue, 2016-08-30 21:22

I'm over laying out good coin for stellas... had a sw6000pg and a 4000fe fail within 18 months of purchase. Shimano fixed the 6000 for free and the 4000 got a heap of new parts and still no good... 3 months wait on a main gear. Mean while the stradic's are going strong.

With shimano you are better off getting a saragosa... stradic... sustain and spending extra on the rod. The extra money des not translate to that much of a better reel. 

Cheers
BarraSlayer

scano's picture

Date Joined: 31/05/07

Yeah

Tue, 2016-08-30 22:22

Good luck on turnaround times out of shimano. I waited months to get a run of the mill service completed on a jdm overhead and the repair / response time was less than desirable.

scano

Moist and Salty's picture

Date Joined: 28/10/14

One thing to keep in mind

Wed, 2016-08-31 07:41

One thing to keep in mind here is that the reel is brand new and hence hasn't been worn in. The mechanism will be tight, additional friction causes noise (this applies moreso to high geared models).

You may be comparing your brand new reel to your broken in and blooded Gosa and the worn in display model Stella.

What I'm trying to say is that if you don't have any luck and don't feel like taking the legal option, the reel will likely get siginificantly smoother and quieter with a few days use.

Date Joined: 09/03/13

yep have to say I've had good

Wed, 2016-08-31 08:07

yep have to say I've had good and bad experience with stella warrenty. first time was sent back with faulty internals ....sent me a brand new one within a few days.

Second time warrenty on spool. (coating was peeling off of the spool lip making it unusable) .....it only took them 9 months to replace that.

and as barraslaya said ....myself have 1 stella two warenty returns. have a few stradics and other shimano reels and never a problem with any of them.

Date Joined: 26/08/16

Shimano service

Wed, 2016-08-31 12:57

i have had my TLD reels and Stradics for years and every so often they go back ( every few years) to Shimano for overhaul/ service, I have never had an issue or a delay, they even send back the worn bits and a note with the reels. My experience has been excellent. I ain't so sure that "smoothness" is an entire indicator of the Stella quality. But I wouldn't know. I have been more than happy with Stradics for a few hundred bucks, I have one of the early white ones in 4000 and it's been awesome, even if it sounds like a hammer drill, it's accounted for Longtail 15kg plus and any number of other tunas.Mu new 4000 and 2500 CI stradice feel really nice and the drags are fault

ess, all for under 300 bickies.

vinniefisho's picture

Cheers guys for te replies

Wed, 2016-08-31 19:03

I went to BCF today to compare the reels and there was a clear differnece, they have me the option of taking it back to shimano or just walking out with it, I just took it because I knew that shimano wouldn't do anything about it, apparently they know this due to their phone all with them. 

Can anyone tell me if there would be a difference with the HG and the PG? Because in this case the PG was a lot smoother 

Cheers

Date Joined: 27/08/11

I have the 5k in HG and its

Thu, 2016-09-01 12:29

I have the 5k in HG and its always been super smooth. I have an 8k in PG and its not noticably smoother.

I would push BCF to send it back to Shimano, I have done this previously with a Catalina I bought from them at Ozzie Park. Came back from Daiwa some time later and the chubby muppet behind the counter suggested I had made it up and there was nothing wrong with the reel. I pointed out to him there was a service note in side the box and lube where there was previously none. If you are getting push back its unlikely that its coming from shimano and moreso from the intellects at BCF. Speaking from personal experience, I have never previously had any poor service from Shimano as an aftermarket supplier either, the 5k and 8k have been serviced (3 week turn around on both occasions) promptly and effectively, which is far better than you will get from Daiwa......7 wks ++ for a standard service these days. 

So if you arent happy with it - dont accept it, especially if you have validated that there was a noticable difference in store.

Boydy's picture

Date Joined: 26/09/12

Hey mate I have the 6k PG

Wed, 2016-08-31 20:17

Hey mate I have the 6k PG and was smooth as straight out of the box. Had it for a couple of years now and has been faultless, if anything after the first couple of sessions jigging the rotation freed up a little more.

On the Shimano repair side of things I have had 2 dealings with them. Both were handled through tackle stores. The service from them was excellent both repaired with in a fortnight including freight. One under warranty on a Sustain when the screw unwound itself holding the knob on, replaced FOC. The other a Twinpower I dropped and the line roller, bail arm blew to bits, fixed for $17 bucks from memory.

Date Joined: 27/01/15

OP - I have the 5000HG that

Thu, 2016-09-01 11:50

OP - I have the 5000HG that was smooth as silk when i first unboxed it..

However I do have a slight sound with the worm gear moving back and forth. This might be what you are hearing? just a guess.