SS264 sounder shots

Got out during the week for another shakedown run on the Whaler. Starting to sort out all the little things on the tug and the sounder is starting to get where I want it.

First shot is on the way out, at 31 knots, showing the new Airmar SS264 50 kHz holding bottom pretty well in 35 m depth with auto everything. This is a dramatic improvement over last time out (where it would not read over 10 knots), with major changes being I have sanded the hull with 240 grit to smooth out the antifoul paint (many hours of seriously horrible work....), and also I recessed one of the thru hulls which may have been adding turbulence. Thanks for the advice Cruise Control.

photo 3a304e31-d85a-48dd-aeac-0628b5559535_zps5873dbaf.jpg

We had a quick fish on one of our dhuie spots, but the fish were very timid and this shot shows two dhuies following the jig up and down but not hitting.....if you squint you can make out the faint line of the jig going up (to 34 m) and down with the dhu's following. We got a few undersize dhus, plus we hooked two serious dhuies but both pulled the hooks after typically powerful dhuie runs. Also had a snip off from a suspected maccie, water temp around 23.

photo 02dca49a-2c78-45ab-ad1f-1728b224786f_zps4a04bb3c.jpg

Last shot shows a nice dhu, with me dropping down an 80g jig and just missing it........story of the day!

photo bdf813fa-7230-4290-82a5-1a8eabc50000_zps9e0b20df.jpg

Pretty happy with the sounder after the mods, and I have made some more mods since to further optimise, time for some deep drops.........green eyes, watch out!

Boston Whaler 235 Conquest......getting the flogging it was built for.

sammy85's picture

Date Joined: 31/08/10

Good shots John especially

Sun, 2013-04-21 22:58

Good shots John especially the last one your really did just miss it haha

Plumber and gas fitter- 0415489103

Date Joined: 12/04/11

nice pics john...im having

Mon, 2013-04-22 00:31

nice pics john...im having trouble seeing the dhus in these pics...are they the green spots? 

crasny1's picture

Date Joined: 16/10/08

The dhues are the red lines hovering above the ground

Mon, 2013-04-22 13:40

Because the screen scrolls they dont stand out as the classic arches. The green you refer to is either clutter or a jig, but I am not sure.

Hope this helps. Sounders can be interesting to read.

"I would like to die on Mars. Just not on impact!!" _ Elon Musk

Date Joined: 01/01/70

New Sounder/tranny setup!!

Mon, 2013-04-22 00:44

Good to see your happy John with it, I prefer manual settings for everything (fishing related) and noticed your on LF not HF?

JohnF's picture

Date Joined: 07/07/10

Cheers Ryan. Yeah, early days

Mon, 2013-04-22 06:56

Cheers Ryan. Yeah, early days so I am just exploring manual control, will certainly be using manual a lot more to optimize. I have only installed the 50 kHz side of the SS264 pair at this stage, as the port side already had a B744 with performance fairings installed that I run through a separate garmin 740s, so I do have 200 kHz as well. Just gotta pluck up the courage to drill another dirty great hole in the hull!!

snuffs's picture

Date Joined: 06/08/12

Hey John,Brave man drilling

Mon, 2013-04-22 10:41

Hey John,

Brave man drilling into the hull of the Bostons. Who did you get to do the work? I take it you have the 1Kw transducer?

I've been looking at installing the 2-3kW transducer into my Conquest 255, but it's proving to be a mission. Spoke to Tailor Marine, Chivers and a couple of others and no ones really sure how to do it on this style boat. End concensus was that it can only be transom mounted for my boat with a special purpose build bracket (in between the twin motors on back keel section). But then beach mooring at Rotto is risky with such a large transducer near the sand. Have you done any research on this with your Boston for best options. I spoke to Boston Whaler in USA, and they strongly opposed any drilling into the hull at all for a transducer, other than using the inbuild transducer pocket (which is far too small for a large transducer). If you have gone through the same thought patterns as me I would love to hear about it. Cheers - John

JohnF's picture

Snuffs, I did all the work

Mon, 2013-04-22 11:13

Snuffs, I did all the work myself, I am just a regular Joe with a few tools. No way am I letting someone else drill a hole in my boat. If it stuff up, its my fault.....1 kW SS264 HD untis, I have only installed the 50 kHz unit so far, as the existing 600 W B744 in the porformance fairing works so brilliantly at speed that I am loath to pull it out just yet.....

Everyone freaks out about Boston Whalers and thru hulls, but BW have been nice enought to even provide a dedicated putty box just for this requirement. Transom mount is NOT the only option.The 2-3 kW may be an issue as they are enormous, but I dont like the idea of either transom mount or pocket mounting such large untis on the transom for several reasons.

I recon a 1 kW B260 in performance fairing is  THE best option, the only issue is weather the huge fairing will affect your boat performance......

Give me a call on 0430166552, happy to discuss options as I have looked at most of em and have learnt some good lessons over hte past month or so trying to tweek mine.

snuffs's picture

Thanks John, much

Mon, 2013-04-22 11:33

Thanks John, much appreciated. Similiarly, if you need any advise on your Boston just let me know, as I have made a number of tweaks and adjustments to mine that have worked out well.

Yes, i'm aware of the putty box, but I really am focused on the 2Kw transducer, as i am focused on fishing the 450+ meter mark and want the additional benefits. As you correctly pointed out, this is an enormous unit and won't fit in the putty box etc. It is with this unit specifically that I have been making my enquiries, and have the installation issue with. The smaller units are no problem as I understand it.

Stevo81's picture

Date Joined: 16/04/12

Hey snuffs how does the 255

Mon, 2013-04-22 11:38

Hey snuffs how does the 255 go with twin 150's? wot is your weight BMT with no gear?

••••••••  Electrical Contractor NOR  ••••••••

snuffs's picture

Hey Stevo - Goes very nicely.

Mon, 2013-04-22 12:03

Hey Stevo - Goes very nicely. Good off the mark and certainly enough power for what I need. So overall happy with the combo. Normally with 4 on board & gear will go up to 34 knots, but fuel vs. speed benefit dimishes, so I normally sit on 23 knots @ 4,000 revs for most trips which is very efficient. They are heavy boats with twin motors. I had it weighed when I first got it. Boat, with twin motors, Ali dual trailer (with spare wheel attached), anchor winch with chain, and full fuel tank (570 litres) was coming in at 3.8 tonne. (more than i expected actually). Add your diving/fishing gear/ice etc and its pushing 4 tonne +. I don't trailer it very often unless its a longer trip. Then again - its rated for 14 people ... not sure where you'll put them though :)

dkonig82's picture

Date Joined: 06/07/10

Looking good John!

Mon, 2013-04-22 09:26

Looking good John!

When asked by a non-fisherman 'how many fishing rods do you really need?' the correct answer is either:

n+1 (where n is the number of fishing rods you currently own); or

n-1 (where n is the number of fishing rods which would cause your significant other to dump you. 

JohnF's picture

Made up some deep drop rigs

Mon, 2013-04-22 09:28

Made up some deep drop rigs last nite Dan...........

dkonig82's picture

Date Joined: 06/07/10

Good stuff, just name the

Mon, 2013-04-22 12:36

Good stuff, just name the day!

When asked by a non-fisherman 'how many fishing rods do you really need?' the correct answer is either:

n+1 (where n is the number of fishing rods you currently own); or

n-1 (where n is the number of fishing rods which would cause your significant other to dump you. 

Cruise Control's picture

Date Joined: 03/11/10

Cheers John. Looks like the

Mon, 2013-04-22 11:57

Cheers John. Looks like the Furuno is the goods.

milsey's picture

Date Joined: 22/08/07

Quality returns for low

Mon, 2013-04-22 13:22

Quality returns for low frequency, the Dhu's have reason to be worried when the 200hz is in.

Date Joined: 31/03/13

hey John I have watched your

Tue, 2013-05-07 12:16

hey John

I have watched your posts with keen interest, I have a 2006 235 arriving anytime now from Florida and will be kitting her out.

I am waiting to see her when she arrives as to whether she has any raw water pickups/other thru hulls on the port side that will interfere with the Putty box (Chuck from BW US told me to wait before I took the dive to get twin transducers in case there was things in the way on the port side of the keel).

Hopefully I can run twins as I was going to take the plunge with a C125 and a chirp set up.

Anyway, once she arrives and I get her sorted, I would really love to catch up with you to pick up on any tips you have learnt since having yours.  On Monday I take ownership of a house on Sovereign Drive Two Rocks, about 100 metres from the boat ramp so if you were keen to head up north, we will have a handy 'base of operations'.

Cheers

Simon

Reel Livin'

JohnF's picture

Simon, I will pm you contact

Tue, 2013-05-07 13:16

Simon, I will pm you contact deails, more than happy to discuss and pretty keen on doing some two rocks days as I have not been out of there yet.

Cheers

John