steep point 2013 full report.

well after a lot of driving from albany for just a short 3 day trip to steep with my mates Micheal, Harley and my brother Aron we where all so relieved to come over the hill and look down onto the point. as soon as we got there out came the fishing gear and the first helium balloon was up and away with a nice mullet bouncing around under it while we unpacked camp and set everything up. after camp was set up we headed to the cliff to do a bit of spinning and after about 30 mins the ballon rod buckled over and i look out to see a fish well over 20kg launch out the water, no knowing what i was i called it for a big mack and thought sharks must of been on it for it to jump and told my bro to go hard and get it in, 15 minutes later on full drag on his torium 30 and penn prevail overhead combo it was close to the rocks with no more jumps before all hell broke loose and this bill came soaring out and a big headshake and ive screamed SAIL, we all coundnt believe it and another tense 10 minutes and we had it safely on the rocks. We all where so excited and just lost it that 3 hours in we had a sailfish on the rocks!!! Best start to a trip ever haha We spent the rest of day 1 diving the shallows for a few small baldchin grouper and some jumbo crays before fishing the night for reefys in the shallows for a few small emperors. Day 2 we spent the morning ballooning abnd spinning again for no result after another dropped sailfish as the hooks didnt set properly and watched whales swim past and a few more sailfish freejumping out to the west. the middle of the day me and michael dived the cliffs from the faultline around to the oven and out to monkey rock but was very quiet with lots of small fish and a few far to friendly sharks around. That night we fished the cliffs once again for nothing great but still had a ball with the cod and plenty of sharks to keep us busy on the rods. day 3 we dived the shallows again for more jumbo crays before packing up and heading home on the 16 hours drive. all up was an awesome trip and we all had a great time but fish where hard to get and few and far between for all the landbased guys.

always looking for a new challenge!!

Image Upload: 

roddo's picture

Date Joined: 16/10/09

Awesome report must be

Tue, 2013-07-02 17:06

Awesome report must be stocked with the sail. Sounds like you all had a great trip. Only got 5 weeks and we will be there can't wait

FISH-ON's picture

Date Joined: 19/07/11

NICE

Tue, 2013-07-02 18:39

Awesome saily!!!!

Be patient and calm - for no one can catch fish in anger

outdoinit's picture

Date Joined: 05/10/12

Awesome trip all round

Tue, 2013-07-02 19:03

Good times, well done.

I've spent half my life fishing.. The other half I have wasted.. 

cuthbad's picture

Date Joined: 22/04/09

sounds like a great trip!

Wed, 2013-07-03 02:59

sounds like a great trip!

Deckie's picture

Date Joined: 03/04/09

What did you do with the sail

Wed, 2013-07-03 12:20

What did you do with the sail ??

Cheers & Stay safe

Adam Gallash's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/05

well done

Thu, 2013-07-04 12:51

Good reds from the shore. well done Chris and crew.

Site Admin - Just ask if you need assistance

tailor marc's picture

Date Joined: 27/09/06

Top stuff, got some big balls

Thu, 2013-07-04 13:16

Top stuff, got some big balls diving around there lol!

My photography pictures... http://westernhorizonsmedia.wordpress.com/

Chris fish's picture

Date Joined: 23/02/11

sail was kept and will be

Thu, 2013-07-04 18:56

sail was kept and will be eaten. haha yeah everyone we spoke to told us we where crazy diving the cliffs but it wasnt that bad at all, the sharks where friedly but none got excited or tried to come to close or only took a quick poke to get them to leave us alone.

always looking for a new challenge!!

Date Joined: 08/08/11

great report.... you

Fri, 2013-07-05 19:45

great report.... you wouldn't get me in the water up there, but next year I reckon some cray pots will be making the trip!!

Fish! HARD!

Date Joined: 28/12/12

Sail off the rocks!! Well

Sat, 2013-07-06 19:40

Sail off the rocks!! Well done guys