Which transducer for Furuno 295

I am looking at a Furuno 295 in my Kevlacat 5.2 which basically 18 ft which is more sensitive to weight down back than the bigger cats. I only want to fit a transducer that is a shoot thru transducer that is mounted in the hull as a wet box. I am considering an Airmar R199 mounted in a wet box as it is smaller and lighter than the R299 transducer. This is a dual frequency transducer50hz/200hz like the R299 but only 2kw and not tunable and a bit cheaper.
I spoke to Taylor marine about this but they said that the Airmar transducer did not work as well as a furuno 2kw. They suggested the 2kw 200hz 8b-8b which is suitable for wet box mounting but the only 50hz transducer that they say is suitable for wet box mounting is the 50b-9b which is only 1kw. If I went with Furuno transducers then I would like to fit the 2kw 200hz 8B-8B for shallow and either the 2KW 50BL-12HR or 2KW 38BL-9HR for deep work but both of these deep transducers are not recommended for thru hull wet box mounting.

Is any one running any of these transducers as thru hull wet box mounted and what sort of results are you getting?

Date Joined: 10/01/14

I have a boat being built

Mon, 2014-05-19 20:40

I have a boat being built with a FCV-295 and a Airmar R209 installed in a wet box. Taylor marine in Perth said the same about the transducers to me but when I spoke to furuno over east and America, they said they work just as good.

allmarine's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/09

The Furuno FCV295 is an

Tue, 2014-08-12 17:31

The Furuno FCV295 is an excellent sounder, it has won many awards and well worth the price to own. It can handle high power transducers in a variety of frequency and is really underperforming when used with wet box configured transducers.
We have installed many FCV295 units in both mono and cat hulls from 18' upwards. We have tested the FCV295 with wet box installations against hanging the exact same transducers over the side. The performance difference of the 200B8B is negligible, however the 50BL12HR, 38BL9HR and 28BL12HR really loose out when shooting through the hull.
When the FCV 295 was released onto the Australian market we installed the 200B8B and 50BL12HR transducers into a custom moulded wet box that we designed. The Airmar wet box has a tendency to leak over time (especially if used with glycerine) and is not large enough for this installation, We later experimented with a custom mould to hang these transducers off the transom which wasn't good, we have now gone away from wet box installation for this sounder and almost always wet face them using our custom designed fairing block (monohull) or recessed into the sponson (cat hull). We recently installed an FCV295 with 2kw transducers into a Kevlarcat - with bottom picture still obtained at 40kts in Cockburn Sound. Hope this information helps.