Yamaha F150 Leaking trim ram seal

G'day Fishwreckers,

My port side trim ram is weeping oil from under the screw cap at the 'top' of the ram cylinder. Been looking on the net trying to work out if this is an easy fix or not.

Can anyone shed any light on this problem/repair? Happy to get it done by a mechanic if need be but just after some information if it's possible to do it myself.

Cheers John

WA based manufacturer and supplier of premium leadhead jigs, fligs, bucktail jigs, 'bulletproof' soft plastic jig heads and XOS bullet jig heads.

Jigs available online in my web store!

Date Joined: 08/10/13

Ive gota 60hp.

Mon, 2015-04-27 12:34

Ive got a 60hp with a tiny weep and have been told they are not repairable you have to buy a new ram. Ive managed to get one for free just lucky of a written off near new 60hp. It was around 1000 dollars quoted for a new one.  They look repairable but was told you cant screw the top off they are welded on. I think the mechanic was pullin my leg. I searched the net for a seal kit but couldnt find one. It will be interesting to see if someone has repaired one they look pretty simple. When I swap mine over Ill defineately have a go fixing the old one.

sammy85's picture

Date Joined: 31/08/10

Had the same thing on my 150

Mon, 2015-04-27 13:49

Had the same thing on my 150 mate might be that the cap is threaded which happened to me I got a new resoivoir off the net then that worked for a while then it was still happening but not loosing as much fluid as quick. I took it to the boat mechanic in Joondalup and they sorted it out said it was a seal or something think it code me about $400 or so 

Plumber and gas fitter- 0415489103

sarcasm0's picture

Date Joined: 25/06/09

What year and model?

Tue, 2015-04-28 12:20

Its generally not that bad. See schematic for a generic F150AETX.  Get the model and serial from the plate on the transom bracket call up a yammy dealer with the part numbers and see what they say. Pretty common issue.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/2006%20and%20Later/F150AET1X/POWER%20TRIM%20TILT%20ASSY%201/parts.html

Bryan