12/04/14 Mindarie day of recaptures

Managed a days fishing in perfect weather conditions yesterday. We skipped the usual whiting safety net and headed out to try and get a few table fish. I hit a few favourite lumps along the way and also found a few new ones with fish on them, so I was a happy camper.

First fish on deck was a tagged Dhuie I had caught in September last year. I will have to review my data to find out a bit more about it, but essentially it had only grown around 0.5cm in that time.

Close up of tag with weed algae build up.

Close up with weed / aglae cleared off.

We managed a few good Blackarse including this one by Tim.

We hit another lump and I recaptured anothr fish. This time a Breaksea cod. (note the tag is missing about 1cm off the end so what nipped that off I have no idea???

Apart from an assortment of Baldies, Pinkies, and 7 dhuies of which I tagged a few more, I managed one half decent Dhuie of around 70cm. All in all a great day on the water but it was difficult to get a consistent bite going and the bigger fish (whilst cklearly showing on the sounder) just weren't interested.

Cheers

Andy Mac (Fishwrecked Reeltime Editor & Forum Moderator)

Youngest member of the Fishwrecked Old Farts Club

cell's picture

Date Joined: 06/07/13

looks still like a decent day

Sun, 2014-04-13 10:33

looks still like a decent day out there andy, see much bird activity (fb says alot of tuna around Hillaries n up) you see much, we went out friday night snapper sesh NOT A THINH just the peace n serenity dont know what it was, all i know is that it was very quiet.

All in all you managed a decent day out there, nice catch mate

GIVE ME A FISHING ROD.....WELL THE REST IS HISTORY

Andy Mac's picture

Date Joined: 03/02/06

No Birds out wide

Sun, 2014-04-13 10:47

There were a few birds working inside the three mile, but no big congregations.

Zero surface activity where we were.

Cheers

Andy Mac's picture

Recaptured Breaksea Details

Sun, 2014-04-13 12:01

Fish was originally caught by Colin Hay on 26/01/2013 at 320mm it grew to 437mm as at yesterday.

Cheers

Date Joined: 17/06/10

The tagged fish

Sun, 2014-04-13 16:35

Did you return the tagged fish or was their time up, and when your time is up your time is up.

Andy Mac's picture

Returned both

Sun, 2014-04-13 18:30

But the Blackarse resurfaced (I think it must have dropped off the release weight just after it went over the side as I was using an eggbeater on the release weight rod and sometimes they grab as they peel the line off, its enough to get a kink in the line and let the fish drop off). We noticed it floating on the next drift so decided to keep it given it was pretty much cactus. 

Most times that happens the fish swim off anyway because of the decompression stop I give them, but this one hadn't vented fully and must have lost the will to live. 

Cheers