B744 transducer

anyone on here currently or previously had expierience with a B744 transducer and fairing block ? I seem to remember some posts on them and all were positive from memory. Any comments or reviews appreciated. 

Cheers

mark

My spots are so secret even the fish don't know about them !

Stevo81's picture

Date Joined: 16/04/12

I was running one with my old

Wed, 2018-10-17 17:50

I was running one with my old Furuno VX2 system. Was a good tranny and read at all speads on my hull. Found heaps of great ground with it! Just lacked depth capability being 600w.

I upgraded to twin Garmin 7410xsv's and still ran it on those for a bit before replacing with a B265LH. 

I had both the the B744 and the GT51M thru hull for a while and used to run the B744 while driving as it read the bottom better at speed and would then swap over to the GT51 chirp tranny once I got to the fishing grounds or if checking bottom more closely. The GT51 had a fairing too but the readings from the B744 and peformance fairing were better whilst at cruising speed.

What unit are you going to use it with?

••••••••  Electrical Contractor NOR  ••••••••

Marineboy's picture

Date Joined: 14/03/14

Thanks stevo81

Wed, 2018-10-17 19:11

gonna be running it with a furuno 587, long story but have a ss175h-w currently which I had fitted when the boat was built and as good as the ss175 is I can’t get good reception at any sort of speed. It’s an ocean whaler and they are renowned as an airy hull so I’m hoping swapping to the b744 will improve reception at speed ! I don’t generally venture past 100mtrs so depth not so much of an issue. 

Cheers

mark

Stevo81's picture

Im sure you will get much

Wed, 2018-10-17 19:28

Im sure you will get much better readings at speed with the fairing over your flushmount. Mount it as deep as the fairing will allow.

100m + is where the B744 performance started to decline. 

Can you connect both trannys to your 587 at once?

Marineboy's picture

Stevo81

Wed, 2018-10-17 20:30

not sure if a matching box I think it’s called would allow the use of both but prob overkill for what I want although the wide beam is good ! Just gonna remove the ss175 and flog that and I scored a bargain on eBay for a b744.  

Stevo81's picture

Wed, 2018-10-17 20:42

Marineboy's picture

B744

Mon, 2018-11-26 21:01

first run with the b744 today and to say I’m impressed would be an understatement, fitted to an ocean whaler which are notoriously hard to get good returns at speed I got a very good picture at 22 kts in very average conditions (22 was the fastest I could go in the slop and chop) and no doubt it will read at more speed. 

Stevo81's picture

Sounds like a great result

Tue, 2018-11-27 09:37

Sounds like a great result then mate. People seem reluctant to install fairing mounted thru hulls for some reason.