Best Jigging Reel For $300?

Im after a jigging reel to run at least 300m of 80lb on, main targets are kings and sambos.  I want this reel to double as a bottom basher aswell.

I only have $300 to play with so am curious to hear some opinions on what would be the best option around the $300 mark?

Cheers all.

June 5th, 2010.

cudbfishn's picture

Date Joined: 06/04/09

Hmm for a little more the

Thu, 2011-08-11 05:10

Hmm for a little more the saragosa 18000 or exceller DA 6500 would be my bet. But both are about $350 - $370 but it would be worth the extra coin.

hlokk's picture

Date Joined: 04/04/08

Spin or overhead? Overhead's

Thu, 2011-08-11 09:35

Spin or overhead? Overhead's a lot easier to get for that money. Spinning reels are harder, but there are options that will work (depending on how hard you work them and how long you want them to last). Cant remember all the options (I have a stella, hehe), but I think the Catalinas and Saltists were mentioned before. Though I dont know how the later fared? Otherwise get a ryobi. They're not fancy, but at least they'll be up to the job.

lemur's picture

Date Joined: 18/04/11

safari

Thu, 2011-08-11 09:52

hey mate  tackle world have the ryobi safari going for $250 ish at the moment whilst these reels wont hold 300 m of 80 lb you can still fit 280ish m of pe 5 wich can be up around 78 lb (ygk castman) for the dollars i dont think you can go wrong and they are a super tough reel.  

symetre's picture

Date Joined: 19/05/11

Sorry forgot to mention, i

Thu, 2011-08-11 09:59

Sorry forgot to mention, i only want a spin reel.

June 5th, 2010.

flangies's picture

Date Joined: 11/05/08

Could get a spheres and braid

Thu, 2011-08-11 10:43

Could get a spheros and braid for 300$. :) nothing fancy but it foes the job. Agree with the saragosa being the better buy though

MattMiller's picture

Date Joined: 15/06/09

I'd say

Thu, 2011-08-11 14:16

your best option would be a Spheros 14000/18000.

I've had my 14000FA for 7yrs and it's still going strong. Though I run pe4 Boat braid (55lb) on it now.

Bluetonic's picture

Date Joined: 09/01/08

Have had nothing but problems

Thu, 2011-08-11 19:31

Have had nothing but problems with the Ryobi Safaris. I've got 2 going in for the same repairs as last time. They start winding backwards after a lot of hard working. Yes I've seen the solution put forward on this site a while back but nah, still happens.

I like the Saltist reels for around that price.

Blue Sky, Blue Water, Bluetonic!

cudbfishn's picture

Saltist is high speed. Not

Thu, 2011-08-11 19:34

Saltist is high speed. Not good for cranking lead off the bottom. Not good for any spinner really.

Bluetonic's picture

Date Joined: 09/01/08

symetre did say Kings and

Thu, 2011-08-11 19:48

symetre did say Kings and Sambos. Saltist has done me proud with Kings and Sambos so far. The faster the better on those species but I'll leave it there as everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Ryobi has as well caught me plenty of Sambos, but I'm sick and tired of it breaking and I've got fishing mates having the same problems with them.

Blue Sky, Blue Water, Bluetonic!

Garbo's picture

Date Joined: 13/01/09

Saltist 6500H

Thu, 2011-08-11 19:53

Bluetonic and i both own these Saltist reels and have fished plastics and metal jigs along with using them for other applications, mine is loaded with 80lb braid and have been well worth there money even in 8m of water we have had no problems with jigging of the bottom with good sambos stops the buggers dead in there tracks ha ha ha great drag pressure, in fact the reels feel solid as in comparison to what we paid for them, i know other people that are so happy with them they have gone and bought the 4500h for lighter jigging, sure they might be high speed just change your methods of jigging to suit thats all.

cudbfishn's picture

He also says he wants it for

Thu, 2011-08-11 20:00

He also says he wants it for a bottom basher as well. In my experience high speed spinners struggle with lead. The saltists would be alright for jigging but. Its why I said the exceller. Its a low speed saltist.

Garbo's picture

Date Joined: 13/01/09

yeh i read

Thu, 2011-08-11 20:10

that bit but was mainly talking about jigging, although using it for a bottom basher is no problem as i find that reel works fine with lead thats just my opinion besides if drifting as once that fish is hooked if it is decent then reel the fuker in ha ha unless you plan on releasing the fish of course then in that case just take it a bit easier with a high speed reel anyway for the price im happy with it.

Date Joined: 13/08/11

www.ebay.com/

Wed, 2011-08-17 19:11

check it out in america you can buy reels (spinners) for the 300$ AUD australian dollar mark but you can afford to look @ even Twin Powers & some other mid to near top end deals .. ebay = best option with a 5-7 day average shipping (tracked) policy, money back guaranteed... !! i have been purchasing online for 6.5 years now. never a problem :)

Date Joined: 10/06/09

mabe a sustain 6000 about 250

Wed, 2011-08-17 20:21

mabe a sustain 6000 about 250 on ebay

i would also look for a good  second hand twinpower

and both these reels should come with 2 spools so that makes them more versitile too

getting the bottom line final answer from a bunch of blokes that use false names and put smiley faces at the end of paragraphs is not the best place in the world to get the information you seek.

dkonig82's picture

Date Joined: 06/07/10

Not trying to talk anyone out

Thu, 2011-08-18 09:24

Not trying to talk anyone out of buying reels online - I've done it before, including my most recent purchase (though that was only as it was not available here).

Just don't forget to try and ascribe some value to a 10 year warranty. Conservatively I'd say there has to be at least a 60% chance that in the 10 year warranty period a reel will need a repair worth at least 50% of its value. On those numbers the warranty is worth 30% on top of the cost of the reel.

Just something to consider!

Dan

When asked by a non-fisherman 'how many fishing rods do you really need?' the correct answer is either:

n+1 (where n is the number of fishing rods you currently own); or

n-1 (where n is the number of fishing rods which would cause your significant other to dump you. 

Jamos Damokos's picture

Date Joined: 11/08/11

In the past few years i have

Thu, 2011-08-18 17:40

In the past few years i have bought 5 reels from ebay us, one rod, and one rod from local/eastern state dealer, multiple jigs (egi and knife/butterfly) from states and japan and have found every deal im getting is a bargain, im willing to take the warranty risk, funnily enough the only problem i have had was from the eastern state dealer selling me an egi rod rated for 2.5/3.5 jigs on their site when it was actually 2.0/3.0. No big deal but still out of the bulk internet shopping i do only discretion came locally. I have a spheros 14000 loaded with 50lb suffix 550M about 5 years old, does the job, no fuss, no problems, use it for jigging/bottom bashing. I think the saltist is a better real for the price range (us ebay) but maybe geared a bit high..... my advice is type in the reel size/brand ie daiwa/shimano, look at the line dia. or lb capacity and scroll through ebay for a couple of weeks, may take ya 2 weeks to find what ya want and and 2/3 more to arrive but will maybe save ya %30, it may be a risk with no warranty but you will find bargains, find what you want cheapest price then hit ya local tackle shops and ask em what they can do if you want to buy local, i would if they matched or even came close to the prices.

Happy hunting.

Twiddling my thumbs with velvet gloves on.