Catalina 5000 v twinpower 10,000

hit to all

just wanting anybody’s opinion on either of the reels both 2015 models .can get both for about the same price but it has to be today haha.not spending the extra $400 for a Stella or saltiga either haha.

cheers

ricey's picture

Date Joined: 24/12/09

My opinion...

Sun, 2019-07-14 08:47

Both great...very similar.

My mates knob fell off his Catalina... but that could have been his fault in transporting it.

Wise man says - first take the plank out of your own eye before trying to take the speck out of somebody else's.

Callum24's picture

Date Joined: 24/06/12

Go the twinny mate I got a

Sun, 2019-07-14 09:38

Go the twinny mate I got a 14000 love it

Qualified carpet layer available for jobs big and small 

Date Joined: 30/12/08

Definitely the Catalina.

Sun, 2019-07-14 12:40

Definitely the Catalina. Reason is because the Twinpower is not a dumbed down Stella whereas the Catalina is with respect to Saltiga. The Catalina shares a lot of parts with Saltiga and, don't know about current version, but when first released in 2011 that one had less 5 ball bearings and other stuff that's not crucial. On the other hand,  Twinpower is just Shimano's second tier reel and with a different build to the Stella. Go read Alan Hawk's reviews. That's how I look at it and imo Catalina is the better value. Think of it as a poor man's Saltiga. Only thing wrong with Catalina and most of Daiwa's mid to upper range is the magseal bearing which forces you to go to Daiwa to get it serviced. Not cheap but on the other hand will keep your reel ticking over. After all, you service your car regularly so should do the same to reels.