Cruise Craft Explorer 600 vs Seafarer 6.0

Hello Boating Fishos,

So I've narrowed down my next secondhand boat purchase to either CC 600 or Seafarer 6.0.

I'm very interested in hearing peoples reviews and experiences on these boats, especially owners.

The boat would be used 80% fishing out to 20nm and 20% skiing and squidding

Normal

false
false
false

EN-AU
X-NONE
X-NONE

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

(simultaneously)

I do very much like the Seafarer however after having a hull with a pod previously I don't want to go back. Yes I know it's down to the keel and not very long - but once bitten twice shy.

Also I'm guessing these boats would go over the 2T limit for towing?

Many thanks,

Date Joined: 16/06/15

I have a 6m Seafarer Victory

Mon, 2018-08-20 13:34

I have a 6m Seafarer Victory with 200hp and love it. Previously had the 5.5m Seafarer Viking then upgraded to the Victory. Mine gets used for family trips as well as fishing. For me its the perfect allrounder that is built strong and handles rough conditions very well. Loaded you would be looking close to 2t. I previously use to tow mine with a Prado no problems, now have a 200 Series Cruiser which you hardly feal it behind.

Live to fish

Date Joined: 28/11/16

Thanks mate, is the 200hp 4

Mon, 2018-08-20 13:40

Thanks mate, is the 200hp 4 stroke? I would be very interested on how it handles with large 4 stroke, getting onto a plane etc

Date Joined: 25/11/15

thinking about poding a

Mon, 2018-08-20 14:33

thinking about poding a project boat , could i ask what you dont like about them ?

From my experience pods tend

Mon, 2018-08-20 15:58

From my experience pods tend to increase list of the boat with beam on seas. Also harder to plane due to less stern buoyancy unless you’re thinking a full width and down to keel pod 

Date Joined: 16/06/15

Mine has a 2 stroke Etec

Mon, 2018-08-20 15:17

Mine has a 2 stroke Etec 200hp HO. You either love or hate the Etec's.............nine has been good so far. Has plenty of power and gets up out of the hole instantly. Have had it up to 48 knots on the river trimmed right up. If I ever have to repower down the track will be looking to put a Yamaha 225 4 stroke on it.

Live to fish

paul d's picture

Date Joined: 16/03/13

I've got a 5.9 seafarer

Mon, 2018-08-20 15:52

I've got a 5.9 seafarer vermont with 175 4st suzuki.

Great boat , handles seas brilliantly and as said above a great allrounder. Towed by a bt50 4x4

Paul

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

That's a big donk for a boat

Mon, 2018-08-20 18:34

That's a big donk for a boat that size Paul, is that the maximum? 

Love the West!

paul d's picture

Date Joined: 16/03/13

250hp max according to the

Mon, 2018-08-20 19:11

250hp max according to the hull plate. Had a 225 evinrude on it before I re powered it. The Queenslanders like to over power their boats. 

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

Ha ha bloody hell, but I

Mon, 2018-08-20 20:20

Ha ha bloody hell, but I guess being glass is the big diff.

Love the West!

crano's picture

Date Joined: 04/11/09

No personal experience

Mon, 2018-08-20 18:01

I have not been for a ride in either boat but have spoken to a couple of blkes that have seafarers and love them. I have met two people that have had cruise crafts and both said they are rough riding. One of the blokes sold his after a short time and went back to a trailcraft about 19 foot. Said he could not justify the extra money tied up in the CC when the trailcraft was as good riding.

ranmar850's picture

Date Joined: 12/08/12

Ooh, that would start a war..

Tue, 2018-08-21 11:07

..the old Bruisecraft vs Seaspearer debates get hot on the Qld-based forum .  Both brands have their firm and fast adherents, and I slightly narked some recently when it was revealed, by a bloke doing a rebuild,  that the great Seafarers were built with masonite floors for a while , and I opined that maybe the great Lindsay Fry, revered by some, was perhaps a cost-cutting cheaparse no better than anyone else in the day. 

Date Joined: 09/10/06

Trailcraft as good as cruise

Mon, 2018-08-20 18:42

Trailcraft as good as cruise craft ride wise. Geez

Date Joined: 24/04/11

My thiughts

Wed, 2018-08-22 05:18

hayving spent a lot of time in both, I couldn't compare them as equal in ride class. 

Oh apologies for the screwed

Mon, 2018-08-20 19:24

Oh apologies for the screwed up and double post. For some reason it does that from my work computer. 

Wow trailcraft similar to cc in ride quality 

I know there’s always going to be trade offs. I’d say the cc would be more stable and slightly lighter hull would mean less hp required so some fuel savings 

Coastrunner's picture

Date Joined: 25/10/14

Seafarer Victory 6.0

Tue, 2018-08-21 06:15

I have a Victory and I'm very happy with the boat, mine is all about offshore fishing with the occassional cruise or donuting. 200Hp Suzuki, good ride in chop, stable on the drift and 270l fuel capacity for big days out.Build quality is excellent, solid boats.

Thanks for the input guys,

Tue, 2018-08-21 12:18

Thanks for the input guys, sounds like not too many CC 600 experiences out there. I've posted the same question on QLD based forum and rec'd Zero replies/input.

Coastrunner what year is your Seafarer? and is your trailer fitted with hyd/elec braking?

Bucko's picture

Date Joined: 08/05/10

Hey Mate, For what its

Tue, 2018-08-21 12:26

Hey Mate,

For what its worth, I had an old trailcraft for many years, 5.7m.

The bloke I fish with a lot had a mate with a 5.75 Cruisecraft and he was adamant it rode worse than my traily.

I've since upgrade to a Chivers and the rides a fair bit better.

Cheers

Date Joined: 08/07/09

Seafarer Vagabond

Tue, 2018-08-21 12:34

I've had a Vagabond for the last few years.

Awsome boat and great riding hull in almost all conditions.

Fish 20 odd mile reguarly.

I've got a 200 Yammi 2 stroke on the back.

Cheers

bradz's picture

Date Joined: 29/10/07

Seafarer

Tue, 2018-08-21 13:35

Ive had both the 5.9 Seafarer Victory and the 575 Cruisecraft, which I believe is not dissimilar to the 600.

Verdict...finish is better on the cruisecraft but the ride is nothing special. Not bad, but not great. The ride of the Victory however is outstanding. The only fault with the Victory...if moving slowly in a sloppy sea you can sometimes dig in the nose a little bit. Nothing dangerous though.

I'd choose the Victory every day of the week. 

I did then the best that I knew how. When I knew better, I did better.

Jackfrost80's picture

Date Joined: 07/05/12

Had that happen twice with my

Wed, 2018-08-22 07:24

Had that happen twice with my Seafarer V-Sea in 14kn winds when driving under 5 knots and you just get a bit of water roll up the bow. I've found with my girl the harder you drive her into the chop the more she loves it

Officially off the Pies bandwagon

Date Joined: 08/07/09

Seafarer Vagabond

Thu, 2018-08-23 07:26

I've dropped the nose twice in all the time I've had it. Both times we were pulling craypots, missed the float and had to turn around head into sea and dropped the nose. Took water over the nose up to the clears. No big deal. The two times this happen the swell was up & seabreeze was in. Never had an issue cruising. Cheers

Ooooh I would love a

Tue, 2018-08-21 14:27

Ooooh I would love a vagabond, but I couldn't justify towing a biscuit behind it, plus trying to keep under the magical 2T limit for towing.

Yes I've read some reports of the occasional nose dipping, hopefully not as bad in the 6m model??

Sounds to me the CC is slightly more geared towards family boating cruising than the Seafarer

gruntre69's picture

Date Joined: 15/10/16

I would have to agree with

Tue, 2018-08-21 20:19

I would have to agree with you last statement on the Cruisecraft. I own a 575 now and I agree that the ride is OK but nothing special. I don't have a lot of experience on other glass hulls but I don't think it would be hard to beat the offshore performance of the CC. It alway feels safe though even when out far in shit water...

Marine trimmer NOR (available for clears, tops, carpet, upholstery, custom equipment covers)

Victory 6m Hull 1050kg,

Wed, 2018-08-22 09:18

Victory 6m Hull 1050kg, Engine 200kg, Trailer 500kg, Fuel 150kg = 1,900 then add Batteries (2 x 25kg) 50kg, Electronics, hyd steering, anchor and rope chain 50kg - 2,000kg without anything at all loaded into the boat……..this is cutting it waaaaay to fine.

If I'm going to electric brakes I may as well buy Vagabond - Does anyone launch and retrive their Vagabond or similar sized boat solo?

marble's picture

Date Joined: 03/09/09

Yep, launch and retrieve mine

Wed, 2018-08-22 18:11

Yep, launch and retrieve mine solo at Exmouth marina regularly, have done Tantabiddi and Bundegi too . doesn't make it any harder a bigger boat as long as you have your shit together and a good system.

PMY 25 Centre Console DF300 Suzuki

Darren253's picture

Date Joined: 23/07/16

Yes... Pretty much identical

Wed, 2018-08-22 19:03

Yes... Pretty much identical weights to my Reefrunner. I launch solo all the time. It helps to have a decent setup trailer. Mine is self-centring and idiotproof.

Date Joined: 18/01/12

L&R Cruisecraft 685 only by

Thu, 2018-08-23 10:29

L&R Cruisecraft 685 only by myself-kids not much help.
Main thing for me is when pulling boat up to the trailer best is if wind is blowing boat away from the finger jetty.

Takes a few minutes only and I winch by hand.
If alone I think thats quicker than drive on.
Drive on quicker if there are 2 of you.

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

Jackfrost80's picture

Date Joined: 07/05/12

Do you have a latch system

Wed, 2018-08-29 12:03

Do you have a latch system for drive on or do you keep the power going and climb down to put on the winch and chain? I have a L&R Boat Latch system and have never looked back since installing it in that I retrieve in half the time and no more wet feet.

Officially off the Pies bandwagon

Sounds good to me fellas do

Wed, 2018-08-22 19:46

Sounds good to me fellas do you guys drive on/off when solo?

ranmar850's picture

Date Joined: 12/08/12

I've launched my Reefrunner solo as well

Thu, 2018-08-23 07:59

You obviously wouldn't want conditions too adverse. Obviously, solo would be easier if you DODO, with a latch system fitted to the bow. I've not got around to fitting the L&R Boatlatch I bought, low priority for me as I have been very time poor, and I don't like the amount of sand you put through the motor doing it here at low tides. Only did it once, trailer is very good for it, same design , loading-wise, as Darrens'.  I'll get it done before we start crayfishing.  it's probably all down to whether yor ramp allows DODO, some don't, and whether it is suitable. 

I reckon you should go, as a matter of general principles, with the slightly larger ( 6m-6.4m) boat if you are looking at the 5.75-6.4m range.  The larger boat is just so much better at sea. My example--my previous boat was a 5.65 M Swiftcraft Dominator. Doubtless one of the best things ever built in Australia in that size class, a really "big" little boat, heaps of beam and good deck space. After going for a run in Darrens' Reefy, I had my ideas confirmed re the desirability of the larger boat. My son is a very keen fisherman--he had never seen my Reefrunner before he got to Ningaloo this year, we were already arrived and  settled in. He didn't say a lot for a few days, apart from saying he liked it, then we did some days in absolute crap weather. He then admitted that, when he first saw it, he thought it " wasn't much bigger" than the old one. But he was blown away by how it handled at sea, it really was a much larger boat than it looked.  We used to take the Dommie out up there is some really bad conditions too, taking greenies over the bow and being careful about not taking them over the transom. Those same conditions were just not an issue with the bigger boat, and we went out in worse than we ever had before, and were still comfortable and safe. Getting that early bite time, and most of your fish for the day while everyone else was still sitting on the beach waiting for the wind to drop was gold.

So the point I am making is that, unless you are really constrained for space, or towing ability, go that next size up--you won't be disappointed.  I know, I know, someone will now be saying why not go from 6.4 up to 6.8 or bigger--You are getting into very heavy towing , 3 tonne plus, and that has it's own issues. The 6-6.4's will be up to 2300kg loaded. You'l need EOH braking if you plan to carry anything beyond fuel and basic gear on board.