DF 140 Suzuki Surging Issue

Hi guy's
I thought I would share a situation I was able to resolve.
Symptoms:
After a long run back into the South Passage just as we got to the passage my son slowed to line up the leads, when he accelerated the engine started to surge like it was starving for fuel
Drained the fuel filter to check for water - there was a little but not chock o block. Started engine and all was good. Problem fixed I thought. Next morning belted down to the South passage waiting for the opportunity to go through - went to accelerate after idling for a while, started to surge halfway up a swell. Turn the key off and start again full power again.
Changed fuel lines, replaced priming bulb - checked inline filter on engine which had a little water in it. As couldn't get a replacement primary water trap filter so just cleaned the one I had and reused it.
Put the boat in for a test run all good for an hour then slowed down to go through the 5 knots sign and decided to test again - engine started to surg.

With only 4 days to home time I decided to leave the fix for when I go home.

When I got back , I went looking on line and found a post on Hull Truth which had a guy with exactly the same symptoms as me. His fix was the Fuel Vapour Separating tank had a High Pressure Fuel pump screen clogged. He went on to say the you can actually take ther VST off without removing the intake manifold. So I had go and within an hour I had the vapour separating tank on the bench and stripped.

Below is what I found

Looks like a gel paste which must have formed in the High pressure pump suction cavity as it would never have got through the feed gallery

In the VST you have:
High Pressure Pump $500
Pressure Regulator $294
Needle and float
High pressure pump screen

Pressure tested the Pressure regulator with a floor bike pump and all good blew off 37psi and held that pressure for 10 mins - so refitted.
Reassembled VST
Drained fuel tank and replaced the existing lines
Replaced water trap filter
Awaiting for High Pressure filter to arrive to replace it.

Tools used:
75mm long Sidchrome 10mm Rachet spanner
10mm / 11mm Ring spanner which had the 10mm end bent in the vice to get at the single front bolt.
Pliers
Good fitting Phillips head screw drive to undo the 5 x VST bolts.

Took it for test run yesterday and appears to all good now.

Touch wood - fingers crossed

Gunner

Image Upload: 

Date Joined: 18/01/12

interesting thanks gunna, I

Mon, 2015-06-08 14:29

interesting thanks gunna, I have a pair of the screens in my parts box to do this on mine though they havent given me a problem.
How many hours on yours and do you have a link to the THT post?

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

Date Joined: 23/04/13

380hrs Rob H

Mon, 2015-06-08 14:52

380hrs Rob H

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/507160-suzuki-df140-fuel-problem-fix.html

How many hours has yours done?
Looking at the slight corrosion in mine it must had some water in it at some stage. I've had it from new. - perhaps this is the cause of my gel / paste like substance problems.

Gunner

thanks, just found your post

Mon, 2015-06-08 15:03

thanks, just found your post there!
Mine are DF115'sx2 and have just over 700hrs.

There really shouldnt be moisture that far into your fuel system, have you ever used ethanol fuel in it?
Ethanol fuel will hold some moisture rather than seperating in your water trap

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Date Joined: 23/04/13

No on the Ethanolmust agree

Mon, 2015-06-08 15:50

No on the Ethanol

must agree on the water that far in - need to bit more vigilant on checking the water separator.

Gunner

rigpig's picture

Date Joined: 21/11/12

good post

Tue, 2015-08-04 13:26

Thanks for the info, your report is very well put together and certainly gives me something to consider if I encounter a similar issue. cheers

Date Joined: 31/12/11

Water in fuel.

Wed, 2015-08-05 18:36

Some of you guys may scoff, but i have used methylated spirits in my boat for the last 12 years. Was told by a guy in the fuel industry to use about  300-500 ml every other tank. I live in Kununurra where humidity during the wet can cause water ingress, my boat is always under cover, but humidity will win out if precautions are not taken. I do use a water filter and change out every 100 hours when service is done.

What i have been told with the metho use is, it somehow allows the water to be burnt off. ( this is where you may scoff ) Regardless my 115F Yamaha has lived and worked up here for 800 hrs and water in the fuel isn't an issue.

Looking at some of the crud in the photo's some of the gel looks as if it may have been something from within that has reacted to something. Admittedly there does appear to be a corroded look to parts.

No scoffing, it is very

Mon, 2016-05-16 21:59

No scoffing, it is very simple.

Petrol will not blend with water easily.

Meths will blend with both petrol and water hence at the required ratio it will burn the water.

Best to run tank as low as poss before adding meths.

Now here is the problem with doing it continuously, adding meths is same as using ethanol.

If you put some E10 or petrol/meths blend in a plastic bottle, then start adding water you should see the water mix with the fuel easily.

Continue adding water and suddenly at a certain point you will get "phase separation", all the meths/ethanol and water will seperate from the petrol and your outboard will be running on 100% meths/eth and water, but likely not for very long!!

Date Joined: 05/05/14

Great post gunner I am

Mon, 2016-05-16 21:20

Great post gunner

I am having problem with my Df250 although when the tank is full it does not have that problem, it does have problem when it is only half full ??
I added a F10 and separate water fitler.

will re read your thread and check out what the problem is.

how did your engine perform after that ?

ranmar850's picture

Date Joined: 12/08/12

Metho in fuel to separate water

Tue, 2016-05-17 08:58

This is a really old Kimberlies ( and doubtless other tropical areas) practice that has been around forever, and it works. But, as Rob H says, use with care, it is not a cure for really serious continuos contamination

Cruise Control's picture

Date Joined: 03/11/10

Recommend F10. had some

Fri, 2016-05-27 13:12

Recommend F10. had some problems with a rough idle and constant stalling on my pair of 115 4 stroke Yamahas. Had some valves (air mixture ?) replaced at cost of $700. Bit better but still rough.

Added F10 - motored for a few hours. They are now purring like kittens.

Spoke with Brett Ward he gave the F10 treatment the thumbs up as he uses it himself.