Exmouth Easter 2014 - soft plastic, queenfish and bonefish / permit, mack / tuna advise

Hi folks,

after having such a great time in Exxy in 2013, I've decided to go back for 3 weeks in late April / May 2014. 

This time round I will be land based again for most if not all if the trip.

Rather than just do what I did last time, I've decided to change some things round a bit. 

First of all, I'd like to try some soft plastic fishing rare than just using hard body lures and metal slices. Can anyone recommend some good soft plastics to take, and what size jig heads to use?

Secondly, I caught loads of queenies, but nothing over about 2 kilos, with most about 1 kilo. I caught most of these at the various accesses along the west side, between tantabiddi and the lighthouse. They were ll either on Halco Twisties or Storm Chug Bug poppers. This time I'd like to get one of the real big queenies. Can anyone tell me the best places to go for them or the best lures to use?

Third up, I'd like to chuck a fly at a permit or bonefish. Last time round I spent some hours walking around the Sandy Bay area down in the national park, but didn't see any. Was I in the right place?

Lastly, I'd love to hook up to a tuna or mackerel by sending a balloon out out. Do I have much of chance by doing this, and if so, where is the best place to do it?

Sorry for all the questions but Exxy is so far away (in miles and money!) that I want to make the most of the time I'm there.

Thanks!

tim

dkonig82's picture

Date Joined: 06/07/10

Hey mateSlightly off topic,

Tue, 2013-10-29 19:24

Hey mate

Slightly off topic, but last year before I fished Kiribati I bought a heap of stuff for chasing the bonies, permit etc.

I have 3 packs of small (and impossible to find locally) plastics, couple of tiny bonefish sized blades, few packets of mini jig heads for them. It is at least $100+ worth of stuff but I dont see me using it again in the near future. PM me if keen - $30

Dan

When asked by a non-fisherman 'how many fishing rods do you really need?' the correct answer is either:

n+1 (where n is the number of fishing rods you currently own); or

n-1 (where n is the number of fishing rods which would cause your significant other to dump you. 

EL SYD's picture

Date Joined: 16/08/10

I will be there again at the

Tue, 2013-10-29 19:26

I will be there again at the same time,  cant help on soft plastic selection as the only ones I used before were the Jackal Fry range SP at lermonth jetty catching threadfin bream and little trevs, did nail a good flattie though

Date Joined: 14/12/10

Many thanks guys. Can anyone

Thu, 2013-10-31 04:40

Many thanks guys. Can anyone help out at all with where and how to get any of these:

Big queenie

Bonefish / permit

Tuna / mackerel

Thanks!

jighead's picture

Date Joined: 03/02/12

Big queenies

Thu, 2013-10-31 09:09

Saw a few of these at the mouth of the bay of rest but couldn't tempt one and also saw one caught on bait at learmonth jetty.

Brilliant, thanks

Thu, 2013-10-31 10:31

Brilliant, thanks

dumper's picture

Date Joined: 03/04/08

Mate, if you're going to

Thu, 2013-10-31 13:39

Mate, if you're going to spend all that money to get here, spend a little bit more and hook up with a guide. 

http://www.truebluebonefish.com.au/

http://www.peaksportfishing.com.au/

but I'd book quick as the place is packed at Easter time

Thanks for that. I've

Thu, 2013-10-31 16:37

Thanks for that. I've already been in touch with them both, but I can only afford one day with each of them. I'm just trying to make sure I have a great time in the other 19 days I'm there!

Thanks

dumper's picture

Date Joined: 03/04/08

Just make sure you use the

Thu, 2013-10-31 18:49

Just make sure you use the right soft plastics at the potshot on a Friday night!!!

bitten's picture

Date Joined: 07/04/10

often start with the soft

Sun, 2013-12-01 08:12

often start with the soft plastics there always fiish of witha hard bodie though

Date Joined: 19/09/13

if your serious about

Sat, 2013-11-02 16:41

if your serious about permit/bones on fly get in touch with Jono.

http://www.exmouthflyfishing.com.au

That's pretty much all you need to know ..he is the best by far.

and I have pm you re Queenies

Born A Fish
Forced To Walk