Exmouth Report 25/26-2-11

Lucky Tim, Joel and I headed out Friday in search of a few table fish for dinner and with nice conditions forecast (bout bloody time) we hit the back of the Muirons.  The 35 miles from Bundegi to the back of the Islands was the most brown water I've seen and quoting lucky, 'I've seen barra creeks cleaner than that.'  We actually found some blue water out wide but as the mission was to get some fillets we gave the trolling a miss.  The fish were completely off the bite in the depths so we decided to move in close and fish the shallows.  Without going into too much detail we ended up with 7 good spanglies, 1 red and 1 rankin with Tim losing what I suspect was a cracker of a red in 22m of water bending out an 8/0 gamma.  Turned out to be a pretty good day even though we missed the trout and big reds we were chasing.  Tim's got a few photos I'm sure he'll put up soon.

We also headed out on Saturday with a few visitors to town and wanted to get a billie, what can I say but we were trolling in some of the greenest snottiest water I've fished in.  We headed out to 250m and didn't raise a fish, moved into the shallows to troll for a mackie and didn't turn a reel.  The final decision was to head out to get a goldband and found that in a 20 knot south wester, the northerly current was still stronger than a 40 oz sinker (unbelievable).  Whilst having a drop we had a free swimming junior sail come up to the boat and just tease us for a few minutes and just cruise along whilst we were setting a few attractants (all to no avail).  We ended up not even turning a reel all day (did drop a few good goldies by trying to keep the boat over the spot) but it was good to get out there and see what was going on.   Other notable is, Tantabiddi ramp is a real mess at the moment for bigger boats - we got lucky getting it off on Sat morning but one local boat got stuck there for 2.5 hours on Friday waiting for the tide to come in.  The sand is super soft as its all been dumped with the last cyclone and just walking on it sees your feet disappear, so make sure you retrieve on the high or expect trouble at the moment and there's still no bog mats.  I would expect it would be dredged before the big comps come up, but if you're up before then, just be careful.

Cheers,

Adam

Site Admin - Just ask if you need assistance

Date Joined: 21/02/08

Tim has mentioned the action

Sun, 2011-02-27 20:17

Tim has mentioned the action has been a little light on up there lately. You still have one on us, spanglies are pretty awesome fun for the starter fish up there!

Lucky Tim's picture

Date Joined: 28/11/07

like Ad's said it was a meat

Sun, 2011-02-27 20:52

like Ad's said it was a meat gathering mission so here are the only pics we took all day. We also found a merman on one of the islands whom we gave a ride home. We really should have taken a photo of that.

This is the water surrounding the Murions:

Actually that photo is quite flattering to the water, it was crapola.

Never get sick of seeing these little guys, hope to reunite in a decade of so little fella.

As for the next day from Tantabiddi, we launched at the 0.8m low tide and just got in, I won't be attempting to retrieve until the water is over 1m with the ramps current state.

Anyway it was good to just get out there, fingers crossed for more boating days.

scottland's picture

Date Joined: 10/05/10

lucky tim

Mon, 2011-02-28 20:42

is this more what you were trying to describe hahaha

carnarvon jetty lets just say no mulloway

i support two teams eagles and whoever is playing the dockers

carnarvonite's picture

Date Joined: 24/07/07

Words

Mon, 2011-02-28 21:49

One picture saves a thousand words. Sea of red mud.

Lucky Tim's picture

maybe not quite that bad but

Mon, 2011-02-28 21:50

maybe not quite that bad but not too far off!

merman's picture

Date Joined: 14/09/09

Merman

Wed, 2011-03-02 22:00

I heard the Spanglies may have been on the chew courtesy of a heap of chicken and mayo bakery roll berley going over the side!!  

Is this the secret to your success??

carnarvonite's picture

Great

Sun, 2011-02-27 21:00

If you think the water looked crap you should come down here for a visit. Not so bad today but up untill yesterday it looked that brown you would think you could walk on it.

Never get tired of looking at the colours of a small red, magic.

DBZ's picture

Date Joined: 05/02/11

Gday Canarvonite, I am

Mon, 2011-02-28 12:30

Gday Canarvonite,

I am heading up to Dirk Hartog this weekend and was going to head up to Turtle Bay / Cape Inscription hoping for a shot at a billfish. HAve you heard any reports on whether the dirty water has reached the Islands? I might be better off heading out from South passage....?

Thanks

Dez

carnarvonite's picture

Clear

Mon, 2011-02-28 13:15

The red water extends out to around 15nm so it should be clear on the outside of the islands.

DBZ's picture

Date Joined: 05/02/11

Thanks for the advice

Tue, 2011-03-01 08:51

Thanks for the advice Canarvonite - i'll let you know how we go...

PilbaraBrad's picture

Date Joined: 16/05/07

yep, every creek and river

Sun, 2011-02-27 21:18

yep, every creek and river her is flowing pretty hard.  Water is brown azzzzz

jay_burgess's picture

Date Joined: 18/08/05

run off barra fishing,

Tue, 2011-03-01 11:20

run off barra fishing, pilbara stylez haha

Ben Derecki's picture

Date Joined: 10/10/07

Love the patterns on those

Sun, 2011-02-27 23:27

Love the patterns on those juvi-reds.

Good to see you guys got a few at least.  It's not often we in the metro get bragging rights over you hey...

dkonig82's picture

Date Joined: 06/07/10

Really hoping that brown

Mon, 2011-02-28 08:34

Really hoping that brown water clears up soon!  Have my first exmouth trip on my own boat planned for April and would hate to get shafted by the conditions.

When asked by a non-fisherman 'how many fishing rods do you really need?' the correct answer is either:

n+1 (where n is the number of fishing rods you currently own); or

n-1 (where n is the number of fishing rods which would cause your significant other to dump you. 

Pete D's picture

Date Joined: 07/06/07

That water looks horrible,

Mon, 2011-02-28 12:43

That water looks horrible, not to late to move the comp to Jurien...hehehe

5 weeks for it to clear up...might need every day of that.

Thats a pretty red too Tim.

Cheers Pete

marble's picture

Date Joined: 03/09/09

Yuck and I was hoping it had

Mon, 2011-02-28 13:14

Yuck and I was hoping it had cleared up a bit . . We went to VLF bay sat arvo for a look and it was filthy there, couldnt see bombies in 6 metres of water. . managed a couple of dozen really nice yellowfin whiting sunday at bundegi though, biggest 340mm . . .

PMY 25 Centre Console DF300 Suzuki

Lucky Tim's picture

I like the sound of those

Mon, 2011-02-28 13:21

I like the sound of those yellowfin, might have to have a crack to keep the fish in the freezer topped up.

marble's picture

Date Joined: 03/09/09

Just finished a feed of

Mon, 2011-02-28 19:55

Just finished a feed of whiting fillets dipped in batter then panko breadcrumbs . . . . . nearly good enough to make me sell the boat and become a beach fisho . . . .

PMY 25 Centre Console DF300 Suzuki

Lucky Tim's picture

ha ha we just sat down to

Mon, 2011-02-28 20:20

ha ha we just sat down to red and spanglie and it was a toss up between panko or lightly seasoned fish, the seasoning won out and it was delish.

PattyT's picture

Date Joined: 15/08/10

Amazing looking fish that!

Mon, 2011-02-28 14:40

Amazing looking fish that!

just dhu it's picture

Date Joined: 14/05/09

tantas ramp

Mon, 2011-02-28 20:21

Hey Adam , will they be cleaning the Tantas ramp out for the Gamex in march

meersy's picture

Date Joined: 20/04/10