Exmouth Report 9/8/11

Going to keep this one short.  Headed out with Lucky yesterday to try and get the 'Triple Trifecta' - Trout in the shallows, goldies in the mid water and rubies out deep.  It was a gentleman's start due to the easterlies but once out there it wasn't too bad, things were very slow in the shallows and only two solid 'bites' were recorded and dropped for one reason or another - definitely not convincing enough to spend more time looking for fish. 

So out to the midwater we went, we decided to throw the lures out straight away just to test our luck - as would have it something fiesty took the pink oscar in record time - zipped sidewards at a rate of knots (very unusual) and then went limp - only to find everything missing and the line snipped on the wind-on, must have been a few hungry teethy buggers around.  Not much later we got into a nice sail about 20-25kg that played up, unfortunately didn't get any good shots as he decided to beeline for the boat and had us a bit worried about being skewered.  All in all a fine catch and release and a nice little bonus bonus.

Out at the Goldie spots, the first three weren't really firing and there were a couple of boats nearby, heading to the orginal goldie spot we managed to sneak two fish up before the sharks moved in and made it un-workable.  Heading deeper again we got to the ruby spot and the wind had eased off but the current was still relatively strong, which meant constantly on the gears to keep over the area.  Tim lost a few baits at the start but things were hard going, we did manage to snavel one smallish ruby before giving up as it was extremely quiet. (sad tides too)  We then worked our way back in and tried the goldie spot again but the wind had swung and so had the tide and the whole place that was alive two hours earlier was dead and buried.  We did a troll into the shallow ground again to try and complete the trifecta and had no luck, but once in the shallows things were heated up again and a nice little lump I had in 40m was flaring with life.  First drop resulted in a few pickers, second drop resulted in Tim getting buried by a 'big reef dweller' and third time around I got sharked and Tim got a monster 'trout' about half way up before being sharked and destroyed.  We then called it quits and got to the ramp with no queue!! Awesome.

Not the most productive day, but still an enjoyable one.

Cheers,

Adam

Site Admin - Just ask if you need assistance

Image Upload: 

Bodie's picture

Date Joined: 05/11/07

nice pics adam, well

Wed, 2011-08-10 11:51

nice pics adam, well done!

Geez the conditions look terrible!!! $#%$#%^#$%

Brucesta's picture

Date Joined: 29/05/09

very nice sail there fellas

Wed, 2011-08-10 12:12

very nice sail there fellas good shots!

Las Vegas - Rolling the dice and trying your luck. 1M+ Barra summer target. 100kg Black Marlin winter target

Date Joined: 21/02/08

Pretty good fishing for an

Wed, 2011-08-10 12:34

Pretty good fishing for an ordinary day there guys ;)

Pete D's picture

Date Joined: 07/06/07

Love that last Ruby

Wed, 2011-08-10 13:45

Love that last Ruby pic!

Cheers Pete

Gricko's picture

Date Joined: 09/07/10

Agree great Ruby pic, but

Wed, 2011-08-10 13:56

Agree great Ruby pic, but also great action shots on the sail.

All this working keeps getting in the way of fishing!

crasny1's picture

Date Joined: 16/10/08

Adds and Lucky

Wed, 2011-08-10 13:58

What setup on the hook to you use for the Rubies. That Circle looks huge, and if I am not wrong tied on with "rope".

Just interested in the why's and why not's of this type of fishing?

Neels

"I would like to die on Mars. Just not on impact!!" _ Elon Musk

Alan James's picture

Date Joined: 30/06/09

Neels the hook is crimped on

Wed, 2011-08-10 14:55

they have used armour spring to stop abrasion between the mono and the hook.  Lumo tube has then been slid over the crimp and will extend a little way up the dropper. 

A comment that I would make is that circle hooks are supposedly best set up with the line or dropper loop protruding from the front of the eye of the hook.  This supposedly assists the circle hook set in the corner of the jaw.  The way this is rigged the hook is free swinging.  I'm not saying it's rigged wrong or that if would be more successful if rigged differently.  Just making an observation.   Clearly from the pic the circle hook has set in the corner of the jaw.

hlokk's picture

Date Joined: 04/04/08

The idea for having it come

Wed, 2011-08-10 15:25

The idea for having it come out the eye is that as it pulls tighter it rotates the hook into the fish. Though, some people like having it free swinging for the idea that if its free swinging, it is more easily able to rotate into the jaw (particularly when you have a rather stiff leader/setup). I would suspect that one setup might work better in some circumstances, while in others it may reverse. You can actually test it out yourself by trying different hooks and dragging them across your palm or arm. Can even close your hand. Free swinging seems to 'bite' with less force, but in fishing theres still going to be a minimum amount of force so I havent come to a full conclusion yet.

Lucky Tim's picture

Date Joined: 28/11/07

Neels I can't remember what

Wed, 2011-08-10 19:34

Neels I can't remember what size the circle hook is, it isn't too big, ehough for a reasonable piece of bait. Alan is right, the 'rope' is the green srping protector and the lumo tube is something I chucked on to hlep with abrasion resistance and add some glow down there. The rig is pretty much a 2 hook paternoster using 3 way swivels with all joins crimped with 200lb mono.

snappermiles's picture

Date Joined: 05/11/10

isnt it amazing

Wed, 2011-08-10 14:02

how you can fish one spot and catch nothing and two hours later its loaded!! great pics

ALL FISHERMEN ARE LIARS EXCEPT YOU AND ME! AND IM NOT SO SURE ABOUT YOU!

uncle's picture

Date Joined: 10/02/07

THOSE RUBYS ARE AWESOME

Wed, 2011-08-10 15:44

could only manage a nice feed of big skippy and a 1m ytk ourselves

all aggressive fish love bigjohnsjigs

fisho-ron's picture

Date Joined: 26/09/09

great pics mate. well done

Wed, 2011-08-10 16:57

great pics mate. well done again!!!!

mullows's picture

Date Joined: 25/12/08

Gotta catch me one of them

Wed, 2011-08-10 19:39

Gotta catch me one of them one of these days. Great pics as usual fellas, well done on both.

Cheers

Mullows

The Older I get the better I was :-)

Frank F's picture

Date Joined: 17/03/09

Awesome pic, very colourful

Wed, 2011-08-10 19:52

Awesome pic, very colourful and awesome fish

grantarctic1's picture

Date Joined: 03/03/11

Nice day out

Wed, 2011-08-10 20:10

Some nice pictures there, Nice day out guy's. It must be hard trying to avoid the sharks all the time, well done.

Cheers Grant..

Goatch's picture

Date Joined: 03/07/07

Nice work fellas

Wed, 2011-08-10 21:39

Love that shirt Tim

Just one more cast , honest !!!  

merman's picture

Date Joined: 14/09/09

Was that Ruby any good on the

Thu, 2011-08-11 22:00

Was that Ruby any good on the chew Adi??