FW Members Free Fish Frame Shredding Day - 10am to 6.30pm Friday 6 May at Wangara

I have had quite a number of requests from Members wishing to use the Shredder to make a useful product from their fish waste.  I have given the Shredder a good test now and it is a “beast” that will turn any raw fish product into little pieces.  It is highly efficient and it can process many kilos per minute, with rate depending on the shape of the frozen fish being shredded.  It is certainly capable of running for extended periods, and we are allowed to do so at our premises in Wangara

So, I would like to invite Members to come in on Friday and shred any fish product you would like for no cost.  I want to see the Shredder perform over an extended period and after observing it so far, I’m sure it will – I have my own frames to process too.  I would also like to offer something of potential value for Members to try, under the Shore Catch sponsorship.  The Shred can be used for lots or burley purposes, and the best thing is that it is going back in the ocean rather than to landfill.

PM me if you would like to use it on Friday, and nominate the time and kilos you would like to shred.  Bring the frames, etc in an esky and we will put the Shred back into it.  You are encouraged to come along and give it a try – we may do a “sausage sizzle” in the late afternoon if there is enough interest.

The only stipulation is that there are no hooks in the fish.  If there is metal that jams the blades of the cutting deck, the drive chain will break as the motor will not stop.  Repair would be at your expense, but only if there is metal input.  We will have a metal detector in the future but for the free day, we trust you “know your organic frames”.

The address is 65 Buckingham Drive Wangara.  It would be good to see you.  Mick

Ability is what you are capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it - LH.

Y_Knot's picture

Date Joined: 05/11/10

Tue, 2016-05-03 17:13

uncle's picture

Date Joined: 10/02/07

got some salmon today

Tue, 2016-05-03 17:20

to turn into berly

all aggressive fish love bigjohnsjigs

Date Joined: 08/08/11

Might see you tbere unc.

Tue, 2016-05-03 18:07

Might see you tbere unc.  I'll  be in after lunch.  Early afternoon.

Fish! HARD!

Mick C's picture

Date Joined: 26/12/13

Shredder Likes Salmon

Tue, 2016-05-03 18:52

Makes pretty short work of salmon.  Best if they are frozen solid so there is no blood mess.  Look forward to seeing you.  Mick 

Ability is what you are capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it - LH.

big john's picture

Date Joined: 20/07/06

Tue, 2016-05-03 18:55

Will be there around 4pm Mick.

WA based manufacturer and supplier of premium leadhead jigs, fligs, bucktail jigs, 'bulletproof' soft plastic jig heads and XOS bullet jig heads.

Jigs available online in my web store!

Date Joined: 05/05/14

Hi Mick that is a really

Tue, 2016-05-03 17:58

Hi Mick

that is a really generous offer but unfortunately I don't catch any fish to make use of it !

what a great device though!!

cheers

Mike

Date Joined: 18/01/12

overload trip

Tue, 2016-05-03 18:25

Hey Mick, rather than the chain breaking, maybe install an adjustable overload circuit breaker?
Adjust it down until it trips with a big fish head in it and lift it maybe 10%?

Theres a few sparkies on here that should be able to do that for ya 

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

Mick C's picture

Thanks Rob

Tue, 2016-05-03 18:49

Sounds like a good plan mate.  Will look into it.  Mick 

Vinesh87's picture

Date Joined: 02/04/11

Thermal overload is what ya

Tue, 2016-05-03 20:00

Thermal overload is what ya need !

Date Joined: 18/01/12

Knew youd volunteer

Wed, 2016-05-04 00:16

Knew you'd put ya hand up

When are you fitting it ? 

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

Vinesh87's picture

Date Joined: 02/04/11

Would love to if i had time

Wed, 2016-05-04 19:13

Would love to if i had time and it wasnt in Wangara haha. It's a custom built machine is probably already has one ?

Date Joined: 23/04/11

Im around the corner in

Wed, 2016-05-04 10:12

Im around the corner in Wangara if ya need a hand fitting a Thermal O/L. Sure I can scrounge one up somewhere out the back.

uncle's picture

Date Joined: 10/02/07

Yep be there at 4pm with BJ

Tue, 2016-05-03 19:30

See you then

all aggressive fish love bigjohnsjigs

Date Joined: 30/10/10

have no frames unless get

Tue, 2016-05-03 19:56

have no frames unless get some tomorrow but still going to make the trek for a look.

Date Joined: 07/05/12

I got a whole salmon as well

Wed, 2016-05-04 09:29

I got a whole salmon as well as other various frames, is it ok to pop down around 10:30?

Officially off the Pies bandwagon

Callum24's picture

Date Joined: 24/06/12

what good timing I need some

Wed, 2016-05-04 11:45

what good timing I need some room in my freezers I told the misses 500l wasn't enough!

I'll drop in around lunch

Qualified carpet layer available for jobs big and small 

Thanks Mick, got enough fish

Fri, 2016-05-06 12:05

Thanks Mick, got enough fish chunks to last me a fair few trips out and looking forward to using some to get the kids onto an epic skippy session. Definitely will be using the paid service in future to grind up future catches, bait etc.

Nice to meet one of the footy thread sparing partners in Randall too.

Likewise.  Always good to

Fri, 2016-05-06 13:40

Likewise.  Always good to put a face to a name .  Nice to meet Craig as well, but my apologies I'm dont know your avatar name.  And catch up with eric again.

Great service Mick.  Surprised how much product came out of a few mackerel heads and frames and some left over blue macks.  I ended up with about 6.5 kg which i have vac sealed into 8 bags about 800 gm each.

And i will be back soon to get a knife bag.  

Fish! HARD!

Date Joined: 11/09/13

Thanks Randal.  I tend not

Fri, 2016-05-06 21:48

Thanks Randal.  I tend not to post much.  But love hearing others stories. 

After coming to shore catch a few times i feel like i am part of a community  and should post more. 

Date Joined: 11/09/13

Thanks Randal.  I tend not

Fri, 2016-05-06 21:48

Thanks Randal.  I tend not to post much.  But love hearing others stories. 

After coming to shore catch a few times i feel like i am part of a community  and should post more. 

Starting now with a double

Fri, 2016-05-06 22:08

Starting now with a double post   

Fish! HARD!

Mick C's picture

Shredder 1, Fish Frames 0

Fri, 2016-05-06 20:45

Would have done more than 200kg today.  Awesome to meet quite a few FW Members, and the Shredder is and absolute beast.

A medium frozen whole salmon was brought in and I timed how long it took to process to shred under ideal conditions.  142 seconds from start to finish.  Any small fish are processed pretty much as fast as you can throw them in the chute.  0.5kg to 5kg+ per minute seems to be the rate, depending on the size of the fish and the frozen shape.

The finished product is "quality".  I think it will be a service that we offer in the future on a regular day each week, fortnight or month (depending on demand).  The cost model is probably a $20 hire fee and $20 per half hour block?  You can process a lot of fish in this time so you would want to build up your frozen frames and do minimum 10kg batches.  I would be interested in Member's views on this.  Cheers.  Mick 

That would work out quite

Fri, 2016-05-06 21:04

That would work out quite well if you had lots of frames/bait or you could always arrange with another couple of people to go 1/2s or 1/3s in the hire and block fees to make it worthwhile for smaller quantities. 

Definitely a quality product! Even the Mrs was quite impressed with the lack of bad smell when I was vac packing it in the kitchen sink tonight whilst watching the footy.

Mick C's picture

Book it In?

Fri, 2016-05-06 21:55

Thinking a bit more about this, a booking model might work well.  Express interest, and we will comunicate with you so the shredding events are 100kg+ in total.  We could run the events based on demand, and the hire cost may be reduced.