Grady white seafarer 228 vs caribbean 2300/2400 vs cruise craft 685 opinions

Hi guys,

I understand this topic has been touched somewhat awhile back but I was hoping to get some advice/ opinions regarding the above boats from people in WA fishing WA waters.

Ive narrowed down my search to these 3 boats based on research but would love to hear from someone who either owns or gets out on one of of these boats.

Of interest to me is:

Ride quality in WA chop

Stability at rest (drifting 3 blokes on one side)

fishing area

storage 

and lastly cabin space large enough for 2 heading over to rotto of a night or two

Im leaning slightly toward a Grady white sole because they have a walk around which means I can fish soemone up front but I would love to hear any opininons good or bad on anything on at all about theses particular  boats.

Thanks in advance.

Josh

Date Joined: 18/01/12

Wed, 2019-08-14 19:36

685 outsider

Chop-great

Stability-pretty good

Fishing-average

Storage-pretty good

Sleeping room-shitloads especially with infill

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

pelagicyachts's picture

Date Joined: 23/02/11

I had a Grady (225 tournament

Thu, 2019-08-15 08:30

I had a Grady (225 tournament with 225 4st Yam) a few years ago - in terms of your questions
Stability at rest - to be honest - in a boat that size I doubt there would be much difference in stability between most glass boats when you have 3 blokes on one side - the biggest factor would be size of cockpit - which Is why I have always favoured centre consoles as 3 people can easily fish off one side - but I digress
Storage on the grady was ok, I would have liked fish boxes in the floor which a lot of US boats have
Ride quality was pretty good - I found it went better through the chop at speed - this is fairly obvious but a lot of boats don't "feel" good at speed over chop (is it going to hang together!) the grady felt good and solid

Of those 3 I don't think you can go wrong in terms of quality - it will come down to personal choice.

Bradmac73's picture

Date Joined: 22/03/17

Caribbean

Thu, 2019-08-15 10:28

Never been on any of the boats you have listed, but being the owner of a Caribbean Reef Runner (21ft) I can say that my boat ticks off most if not all of your requirements so I'm expecting the upsized caribbean 2400 model would also. 

As far a the reefie goes it rides like a dream in any conditions, I have never felt even slightly unsafe even in some pretty big seas. I can have three blokes on the one side and stability is excellent. Lots of room, lots of storage both in cab, under seats and in floor and with two good sized bunks or with infill a very large sleeping space.  The one draw back as you have pointed out is that it's not walk around like the Grady. For me this was only an issue for pulling anchor and a winch solved that.

I think as pelagicyatchs said, all three options are probably of equal quality and your decision will be best based on usabiity for your needs. 

Enjoy whichever you end up going with.

scubafish's picture

Date Joined: 15/08/12

No Brainer

Thu, 2019-08-15 11:17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8QR17yoSZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV-xB6IHuCQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6gB6Eobq0E

Grady look at the gunnel height ,not good for someone going over board.

http://img.gg/BQ91Sys

pelagicyachts's picture

Date Joined: 23/02/11

yep- good point Scuba that

Thu, 2019-08-15 11:44

yep- good point Scuba that was something that used to be annoying - its just a snip to low - and when I sold it more than one person was put off by the gunnels being a bit low - something to think about....

ranmar850's picture

Date Joined: 12/08/12

Not as clear cut as a "no-brainer"

Thu, 2019-08-15 13:32

You have to look at the Caribbean 2300--the 2400 may be overwidth?   needs a permit? And only has the same transom rating as the 2300 in the o/b version, 300hp. The 2300  is still laid up in the original Bertram 23 mould, legendary hull and rightly so. Some things were just right in the first place with, I am told, exceptional stability and manners. If you want to look at videos, here's one

www.youtube.com/watch

here's a video on the 2400. 

www.youtube.com/watch

Now, I haven't been on the 2300 at sea, so I am just using a baseline--the Reefrunners manners are impeccable at sea, just loves it really gnarly. This boat just never puts afoot wrong-no diving into the back of a wave, no tendency to broach  in a nasty stern quarter sea. Just put the pilot on the desired course, keep a light hand resting on the throttle, and let it do the work. And the 2300 is next level by comparison, according to everything  I have seen and read.  Accommodation will be fine for overnighters for two, with the infills. The Reefrunner is smaller, and there is still plenty of room for me to stretch out with the wife on overnighters. 

As to the dollars, a completely-equipped new 2300 will likely be around 40 grand less than a similarly-equipped 685 CC . Factory approach is completely different--CC are totally vertically integrated, leave the factory fully fitted, the end product.  Caribbean give the outfitters/agents a basic product, incedibly cheap at the base, then you add just what you want. Anything in a walkaround is likey to be less than ideal for overnighters--not only are you cramped for cabinspace, but for shelter when you want to moor up. Just less enclosed space. Depends on what value you put on that. doeesn't matter if you are just a day-tripper.

crano's picture

Date Joined: 04/11/09

Northbank 750

Thu, 2019-08-15 16:13

Not on your list but there is a new 750 hardtop on display at bluewater marine in bunbury at the moment that may be worth a look. It is awesome.

Cruise Control's picture

Date Joined: 03/11/10

Another vote for the Cruise

Fri, 2019-08-16 07:13

Another vote for the Cruise Craft 685. Never had a problem fishing 3 big guys in the cockpit. You can walk around but you need to be agile so I leave that to the young blokes. The portofino stern however does not lend itself to gamefishing if you find yourself having to backup at any speed.

Date Joined: 23/11/14

Thanks guys I really

Fri, 2019-08-16 20:03

Thanks guys I really appreciate everyones responses, now it just up to me to decide :/

Cheers