Johnson 150hp needs service

Good morning guys

just wondering who I should get to service my engine

nor preferably

and what I can expect to pay for a 400 hour service

bought the boat in March so haven't had a service before, wondering who to go to/avoid. 

Thank you

Swompa's picture

Date Joined: 14/10/12

I just had my Etec serviced

Mon, 2015-11-16 09:50

I just had my Etec serviced by Dayne Burge at Perth Boat Mechanics. Came to my house, Came on time, charged the expected amount.

Took it for a run yesterday and didn't miss a beat (which it shouldn't have)

His mobile is 0405 593 786. Highly recommend.

Date Joined: 13/11/11

How much did you get charged

Mon, 2015-11-16 13:30

How much did you get charged for your etec service? 

Ashen's picture

Date Joined: 22/03/13

Steve at Alltech Marine in

Mon, 2015-11-16 11:53

Steve at Alltech Marine in Gnangara is a good honest mechanic with shitloads of experience with johnsons, and other brands.

His details  http://www.all-tech.com.au

Edit: Avoid some of the so-called mobile mechanics advertising on gumtree.  A couple of years ago my dad had a derben with a 60hp johnson which had starting issues. Called one of those mobile mechanics to come and get it running.  The guy spent 2 hours playing with a multimeter and suggesting that the battery was dead.  So I grabbed one of the batteries from my boat to test.  Same issue, so couldn't be the battery.  In the end, the "mechanic" simply said "Im not wasting any more time on this", and demanded $300 for his time and effort. I told him to go get f#%ked considering he said on the phone that his call out fee is only $50 and will not charge any more if he couldn't get the motor going.  The next guy we called, played around with the outboard for nearly an hour then finally said we need a new starter motor.  He quoted $400 for a used starter motor. I said no thanks and sourced one from ebay for $60.  My dad installed the starter motor but the outboard will still not start.  In the end, I jumped on google for some mechanics around Perth. Found Steve at Alltech. He asked us to bring the boat to his place of business.  We went through the issue with him. Straight away he said it sounded like a killswitch issue.  For less than $200 he got the motor running beautifully.  He also tested the battery and the old starter motor. Both were fine!   

Moral of the story.. if you're new to boating, choose your mechanic wisely! 

A fish in the hand is worth 10 in the water!

wangler's picture

Date Joined: 26/04/08

Unfortunately

Mon, 2015-11-16 12:48

Steve has retired.....good on him. Yes he was a magician with outboards new and old technology..

Want to make someone mad... tell a lie! Want to get the world upset... tell the TRUTH !

Dougie