LC200 Electric brake controller installation

Hi Guys,

after a bit of help with installing an electric brake controller to a landcruiser 200 (2014).

I have a Tekonsha P3.

has anyone installed similar into a cruiser?

Which panels need to be removed and any assistance with wiring connections (ie pickup brake signal from trailer plug or trailer module (whereever it is located))?

Thanks

Date Joined: 18/01/12

Did mine.

Thu, 2016-12-08 21:42

Dont pick up brake signal back there, neither your brake lights will activate or cruise control disconnect when you manually trailer brake.

I fitted a P3 in my 200 about three years back.
Best spot I found for brake pickup was to grovel in the footwell and disconnect the plug from the brake pedal and find which pin activates the brake lights.
Get a small wire, strip about 6mm and slip it into the plug them plug it all together with the wire in the middle.
Use that for brake activation. 

Didnt remove any panels, ran it along the chassis rail and thru a firewall grommet.

Interestingly, I tried to get both Toyota and several auto sparkies to do mine.
Toyota rang back with a quote of $1200 odd but didnt know what controller they were quoting and when I rang a nearby auto sparky he said what a coincidence "Toyota just rang for a quote", $600.

Autoelecau on Ebay supply the cable (bundled large and signal cables) and breaker.

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

Darren253's picture

Date Joined: 23/07/16

Same as Rob H, I did mine

Fri, 2016-12-09 11:47

Same as Rob H, I did mine myself and ran in down the firewall and along the chassis. Also did the Anderson plug at the same time. I used a cheap clamp type cable joiner on that said wire behind the brake cable to get my signal. I think it's the white and black. Plenty of info on the LC forum.

Date Joined: 24/04/11

Firewall

Fri, 2016-12-09 21:36

Thanks for the info guys, when you say down the firewall and along the chassis, you mean just cable tie in underneath the car?

Do you then make your connections direct to the trailer plug for the brak signal wire and the constant (battery charge) 12V connection?

Depending on the type of

Sat, 2016-12-10 13:48

Depending on the type of brake unit the current draw is quite high, 20-40amps

Personally I prefer to use an Andersen plug for that but a large trailer plug can do it

However beside the possible poor connection of that pin at the maximum of its rating, just physically getting the correct size wire in there can be a challenge.

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Date Joined: 24/04/11

Ta

Wed, 2016-12-14 20:04

Thanksguys, brakes go in next week when i get home. Hopefully all goes OK.

Oldbull's picture

Date Joined: 21/09/15

local sparky in mandurah

Thu, 2016-12-15 06:07

I bought a redarc tow pro elite on ebay for $234 delivered and local auto elec guy in mandurah came to my place and installed for $170.  

thats pretty good, the cost

Thu, 2016-12-15 09:15

thats pretty good, the cost of the cable, circuit breakers and trailer plug is not far short of that so he must be a quick worker!

Where did he tap the brake activation connection from?