MAAC Comp - Inshore 21.5kg YTK

Yesterday was the monthly MAAC Competition.  As I have discussed previously, these competitions are keenly fought by “quality” anglers and regularly produce trophy fish at the weigh in.  This month’s comp was no exception, but there was one outstanding capture from very close in.

There is a spot not far out from Hillarys affectionately known as Terry’s Pike Spot.  At the presentation Terry, as a past Captain had to present as the current Captain was not available (for valid reasons), was at pains to explain how he had benefited all Members by revealing this spot that regularly produces a number of species for everyone on comp day.  This was certainly backed up late in the night as there were a few “maaaaaate, you have done the single most important thing for the fishing Members of the club by handing over that spot, dribble, dribble, dribble”.  Anyway I digress, but it was very funny.

Now Terry’s spot is a shallow weed bed not far from the marina mouth where you get a range of bread and butter species if you burley up.  People tend to stop there first and get a few species on the board (the competition rules are 2 points per species and 1 point per kilo at weigh in).  It’s in about 3-4m of water and does generally produce the small things.  Yesterday however was different.

Matt is a really nice young guy and is having a “purple patch” at the moment smashing the comp last month (a 15kg dhu was in the mix), picking up a big Spaniard off Rotto a couple of weeks ago and now this. 

As the schools of herring were in the burley trail, Matt noticed a very big shape in the water.  Thinking it was a shark (you can weigh in the non-protected shark species over a metre) he threw a live herring at it and hooked up.  This thing was an obvious beast and headed for the horizon.  Good work from the skipper and they chased the fish – I’m not sure how long it took them to land it but catching a big YTK inshore, in very shallow water, is a quality effort.  The whole deal (seeing, hooking and landing) is awesome and Matt should be congratulated for this unique capture.

Our bag (3 of us) was “mixed” with quite a few people reporting a slow day also (might have something to do with a falling tide all day?).  The big demersals were generally absent and I know we threw back a lot of undersized pinkies and dhu – including one just over 500mm, but I am now very “shrinkage shy” in competitions!  It was good to see the sambos move back in close as we haven’t got one for a couple of months.  No matter what people say about them, sambos are a fantastic sports fish on light gear.  We release all we catch, except for weigh-in specimens on comp days with the occasional upgrade.  They are not wasted as they go well in the burley but it was interesting to hear one Member call them the “cane toad of the ocean” in that the “packs” consume everything in their path, including the valuable “threatened” juvenile demersal species.

Ability is what you are capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it - LH.

Ben Derecki's picture

Date Joined: 10/10/07

Hooter!

Sun, 2015-06-14 20:23

Hooter!

sammy85's picture

Date Joined: 31/08/10

good stuff

Sun, 2015-06-14 21:00

good stuff

Plumber and gas fitter- 0415489103

Auslobster's picture

Date Joined: 03/05/08

Nice catch...

Mon, 2015-06-15 05:12

...good solid KG in there as well. But your fellow member at the club should change his view towards sambos. Cane toads are introduced species that, due to their toxicity, have no natural predators. Samsons are native, have many predators during the earlier stages of their lives, and even as adults come off second best to sharks, and possibly dolphins and/or seals. As far as consuming "juvenile demersals"...well, they've been doing it for millions of years and I think most would agree that any perceived shortage of dhuies/snapper/etc wouldn't be because of sambos...if that were true, there'd be none left!

Mick C's picture

Date Joined: 26/12/13

Solid Logic There

Mon, 2015-06-15 12:33

Ability is what you are capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it - LH.

luke george's picture

Date Joined: 13/04/07

Well done, shame to hear

Mon, 2015-06-15 05:43

Well done, shame to hear about the sambo treatment though. I think they are a huge part of fishing in perth and without them you would have alot of disappointed local sports fishermen. Something tells me they would eat alot more mulies, minnows, small squid etc than small demersals too

Mick C's picture

Sambo Treatment

Mon, 2015-06-15 12:38

Perhaps I have been missunderstood?  I certainly don't mean there has been any unacceptable treatment of sambos.  I know that most get returned alive and the competition rules are that you can only weigh one in. 

JohnF's picture

Date Joined: 07/07/10

Great YTK! Only problem I

Mon, 2015-06-15 09:42

Great YTK!

Only problem I have with the MAAC competitions is the "kill and weigh in" philosophy.....a bit too old skool for my liking.

I recon the MAAC need to start thinking of a bit more catch and release with photos on a brag matt. I would be a bit keener to enter the comps rather than have to kill a heap of undesirables to increase your kilograms weighed in.

Boston Whaler 235 Conquest......getting the flogging it was built for.

uncle's picture

Date Joined: 10/02/07

yep agree

Mon, 2015-06-15 11:23

all aggressive fish love bigjohnsjigs

Mick C's picture

Interesting

Mon, 2015-06-15 12:43

John,  I think there is merit in your suggestion. I have no influence however and I know there is a very long history of competitions at the MAAC.  That said, I know the rules have been changed in the past so I guess it is not out of the question, and I will at least raise it with the A&S Committee.  I assume you could potentially use length rather than weight but a lot of the logistics would need to be thought through.  Do you know of other Clubs that use this method and what the specific rules are?  Cheers.  Mick 

Belly Fish's picture

Date Joined: 09/03/12

Our Club - Ocean Reef Sea Sports Club

Mon, 2015-06-15 13:14

Our club has been fishing only 1 of any species off a limited species list now for well over 20 years....and weight is not a factor for points in boat competitions (still is in Beach).  A 150g Herring is worth the same points as a 25kg Samsonfish.  We like to think we have influenced other clubs to move to a more publicly accepted system, and encourage any fish weighed to be appropriately used...whether eaten or bait.  I eat a lot of Green Fish Curry....and its awesome with Samsonfish.

Having said that, we have a proposal on the table now to allow catch, photo and release for Samsonfish, Amberjack, YTK and Sharks on the basis that they are generally quite large and by many are viewed as less desirable table fare.  Still to be ratified, but I have  a feeling we'll be going this way in the not too distant future.  Of course, this doesn't stop you from keeping them if you want.

Mick, being close comrades with the MAAC for more years than I care to remember, I know your system quite well.  Your Club might benefit from the above, with an allocated "default" weight (say 10kg for Samsonfish and 6kg for Shark).  our Club doesn;t need to do this since weight has no bearing on points.

johno's picture

Date Joined: 20/07/08

Well done, and great going

Mon, 2015-06-15 11:04

Well done, and great going picking up a sized YFT for inshore waters

Cockburn Power Boat Member (CPBA)

PGFC

Date Joined: 05/05/06

Was there a total or fork

Mon, 2015-06-15 12:44

Was there a total or fork length recorded? great fish and they go hard.

Bend over

Date Joined: 15/06/15

Nice YTK and a good targeted

Mon, 2015-06-15 17:13

Nice YTK and a good targeted capture. Always a hoot to catch a fish you've seen and cast to.

I don't know about Samson fish only being useful for berley.
I'll keep one once in a while because they're great for curries, laksa, and tomato-based fish stews. Cook up your sauce/veg, and add Samson pieces (sliced 20mm thick cross-grained off the fillets) to the sauce 5 minutes before serving so that they just cook through - nice and tender and it doesn't flake to pieces in the broth like other fish species that are more suited for pan-cooking