monkey mia report april 2014

Left friday, overnight in northampton. Arrived and set up saturday.  More setup sunday, launch the boat and get the mooring setup.  A push bike repair for the ten yr old son and a lost mobile phone of the 11 yr old daughter's friend meant no fishing yesterday. Phone found and handed in thankfully :)

Keep hearing that fish are heard to find this year.  Something about the hot summer has killed off a lot of the seagrass and taken away the natural hiding habitat of the smaller fish so the bigger ones have moved out to deeper water???

Got out for a fish today.  Out early trolling, no luck.  Tried some bottom bouncing at some known spots, and no keepers.  Trolled again, nothing.

One last go with the jigs for me, bait and trusty handline for the wife.  It was after three in the afternoon when we started our last drift.  And then, bam! In ten minutes we had two pink snapper in the esky, released another couple just undersize, one black snapper in the esky (all caught by the missus on the trusty handline)  and then I contributed with a 60cm estuary cod.  And they went off the bite as quick as they came on.  I reckon it coincided with the slack water, but i'm no expert...

No photos, sorry but it all happened so quick....

Maybe photos tomorrow.

Fish! HARD!

tim-o's picture

Date Joined: 24/05/11

Bam, good shit Randall. Those

Tue, 2014-04-15 06:34

Bam, good shit Randall. Those cod go hard aye. Woulda been happy Sunday arvo eh, makings of a good week

I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.

Date Joined: 08/08/11

That was the other reason

Tue, 2014-04-15 07:41

That was the other reason there was no fishing on sunday....  had to listen to the footy :)))

Fish! HARD!

Date Joined: 08/08/11

Tim, did you see my update

Tue, 2014-04-15 07:43

Tim, did you see my update about the type pressure?

Fish! HARD!