Monte Bello Island Safari July 2011

Hi Guys & Girls,

I have just returned from a week long trip to the Monties and really couldnt let the opportunity pass to show some of you a destination that has been a dream of mine for quite some time!

I have seen and heard many stories about the Monties and the week that we had lived up to all expectations! The Monte Bello Islands cater for every type/style of fishing which is just awesome.....but wait there is more! Our week was filled with not only with fishing but snorkelling, scuba, surfing, island tours and just chilling out.

Not having been to the Monties before I opted to go out with a charter group based out of Exmouth. Myself and a few mates did a bit of reseach, found a few spare seats and paid the deposit (now to sell the idea to the wife!!). The mix of people on the charter was pretty diverse and included a couple of ladies. The group was great and the ladies had an absoloute ball, actually out fishing there hubbies on a couple of occasions. The trip was made more enjoyable by the skipper and crew who managed the group and the trip with an air of professionalism but still happily chatting with all on board and really making everyone welcome.

The routine is pretty standard, our first 2 days were bottom bashing. We steamed out on absoloute glassy conditions and anchored on one of the spots. We had a cracker of a day with a full mixed bag and catching our bag limit by 2pm. The catch included Red Emporer, Coral Trout, Scarlet Sea Perch, Robinson Sea Perch, Rankin Cod, Spangled Emporer, Long Nose Snapper, Cobia and Mackeral. As the charter is an extended stay all processing of the fish is done offshore and each person is allowed to take 20kgs of fillets home at the end of the week. After 2 days of bottom bashing we all had our 20kgs of fillets neatly packed in cartons in the freezer and the rest of the week was sports fishing heaven.

The next day was a full islands tour including a visit to ground zero, where the nuclear testing took place back in the 1950's. A quick stop over in a channel with an outgoing tide to cast a few poppers of the ledges didnt produce any fish landed but a small group of GT's ended up with some nice Sebile bling and our tackle bags where lighter to carry back up the cliffs. Lunch back atthe house boat was calling and an afternoon dive and surf was on the cards.

The following morning the call was to head out wide in search of a few billies and be back by lunch to cruise the islands. The crew that went had a ball hooking 8 billies and landing one nice Marlin. They also caught a number of mackeral which provided some entertainment. I opted for a "dingy day" with a mate. It was another total glass off and neap tides, we were trolling and casting lures and poppers for hours which was just awesome, there are a few pics below that give you an idea of the weather we scored. A day like this was perfect do do a bit of reconaissance and suss out a few spots, Ah Chong Island was a perfect spot for a swim quick walk on the beach. It was just amazing, standing on the bow of the dingy while trolling lures and watching hundreds of turtles, a huge variety of fish, dugongs and a few reef sharks slipping by. There are islands everywhere to explore and coral bomies that are lurking in every channel.

We jumped into one of these channels onto a large group of bomies for a quick snorkel but instead of taking the spear gun i was armed with my GoPro camera and Eye of Mine underwater housing. Its a new aquisition so was just getting an idea of how it works but its just point and shoot so off we went. I saw more Coral Trout in one dive than i have seen in my whole life. There was a massive variety of fish and the country is great for a free dive at a max of 6-7 meters on low tide its really something that anyone could do. (i will post some vids soon!)

I am now in planning to do a trip to the Monties out of Dampier or Fortesque with my own boat but there is certainly something to be said about a trip where you dont have to worry about the boat, fuel, water, fridges, freezers or even cooking for yourself after a big day on the water.

Although i would love to keep places like the Monties on the quiet, the Monties should be on everyone's Bucket List. Hope you enjoy the pics!

Cheers,

Russ

RUSS - Another punter in the Pilbara!

Image Upload: 

Date Joined: 30/11/10

Sounds like ya had a good

Fri, 2011-08-05 10:33

Sounds like ya had a good trip! The guy holding the green thing in the 3rd pic is rather cute ;) hehe

PilbaraBrad's picture

Date Joined: 16/05/07

haha channy,

Fri, 2011-08-05 13:50

haha channy,

jus's picture

Date Joined: 09/09/08

great report mate..still

Fri, 2011-08-05 10:43

great report mate..still waiting for my chance!

Date Joined: 20/04/09

Niiiiiiicccccceeeee!

Fri, 2011-08-05 10:57

Great report- hoping to get there 2012.

Lucky Tim's picture

Date Joined: 28/11/07

yeah it's an awesome spot

Fri, 2011-08-05 11:12

yeah it's an awesome spot hey. What dates were you out there as we just got back on monday ourselves but in trailerboats?

I hope you took some mental notes as far as spots go for your own next DIY trip....

PilbaraBrad's picture

Date Joined: 16/05/07

yep, i am going to miss that

Fri, 2011-08-05 11:49

yep, i am going to miss that place for sure............................

Date Joined: 21/02/08

Great trip, good on you for

Fri, 2011-08-05 12:10

Great trip, good on you for putting the pics up!

snappermiles's picture

Date Joined: 05/11/10

get a job you bastard!!!

Fri, 2011-08-05 15:53

haha sounds like you had a ball still waiting on my invite up though mate!!

ALL FISHERMEN ARE LIARS EXCEPT YOU AND ME! AND IM NOT SO SURE ABOUT YOU!

Date Joined: 22/07/10

yea jim bungy does a great

Fri, 2011-08-05 19:34

yea jim bungy does a great effort.....

Date Joined: 28/05/11

Beautiful place , i'm hanging

Fri, 2011-08-05 19:46

Beautiful place , i'm hanging to get there .

Date Joined: 03/05/06

a really good report

Fri, 2011-08-05 23:59

good stuff Russ.  I'm sure the Montes are on everyone's bucket list.

scottland's picture

Date Joined: 10/05/10

great report mate

Sat, 2011-08-06 00:47

wicked colours on that golden trevalley

i support two teams eagles and whoever is playing the dockers

Adam Gallash's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/05

Top pics

Sat, 2011-08-06 08:58

Top pics, thanks for putting them up Russ.

Site Admin - Just ask if you need assistance

Maccatak's picture

Date Joined: 30/07/09

I am booked to go on the

Sat, 2011-08-06 11:22

I am booked to go on the same trip with 6 mates 28th of this month only 22 days to go!!   Am I getting excited ? Oh hell yes. I need a good underwater camera that is simple to use, can anybody advise of what they think I should get with a budget of around $500

Thanks

Maccatak 

Teflon Coated's picture

Date Joined: 28/03/11

Maccatak,The GoPro is approx

Sun, 2011-08-07 08:08

Maccatak,

The GoPro is approx $300 incl the housing and i rate it!! Its a video camera but does still aswell.

You will need a good torch or light for anything deep/ledges/caves etc

http://gopro.com/products/?gclid=CJS2y-fxu6oCFeME4godNl2d7g

Cheers,

Russ

RUSS - Another punter in the Pilbara!

Maccatak's picture

Date Joined: 30/07/09

Thanks Teflon, can you offer

Sun, 2011-08-07 11:17

Thanks Teflon, can you offer any suggestions on what to take on the trip regarding gear and any extras that might be useful. Between us we have plenty of lures, poppers and heavy  spinning gear plus a few overheads. Is it worth taking squid jigs for off the houseboat at night ? Any info will be useful.

Thanks, Maccatak

soupster51's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/06

Trip

Sun, 2011-08-07 13:32

Top write up - thanks for sharing. That's the sort of trip that keeps us out on the water.

The best reason for doing what's right today is tomorrow.

Paul G's picture

Date Joined: 12/12/07

Sounds like a great trip and

Sun, 2011-08-07 18:21

Sounds like a great trip and some bloody good fish .Awsome place

Active Gyp-Rok solutions ,Residential  and commercial ceilings and walls