Monties 2019

Gday All,

Read most of the the trip reports and info on doing monties trips with your own boat and there's a some goof info for sure.

What im after is the best Camp spots out the monties with preference to places that the tide does not dry out, been searching maps and charts and have a few in mind but really would like the experience of other that have done the trip a few times and know the area better.

We ideally wanna stay in the northern section but open to others experiences and stories. Photos of bays an camps are much welcomed.

Cheers guys

Rob  

Date Joined: 01/02/10

I’ve stayed on bluebell

Sun, 2019-05-05 19:33

I’ve stayed on bluebell quite a few times. Decent amount of water there but it can be a bit open to the southerlies. Particularly if there is some west in it too. 

Last run a couple of weeks ago was pretty blowy from that direction so I just camped on the boat behind trimoullie. Benedictine Bay. Good shelter under the cliffs but not supposed to camp onshore there. 

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

Robpado's picture

Date Joined: 18/01/18

Hi mate do you recall how big

Mon, 2019-05-06 06:40

Hi mate do you recall how big the tides were when you stayed in blue bell?  

I don’t remember but usually

Mon, 2019-05-06 09:33

I don’t remember but usually just coming out of neaps is when I would go if I had a choice 

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

ranmar850's picture

Date Joined: 12/08/12

I'm going over at the end of the week, never been before

Sun, 2019-05-05 19:54

Two boats, other bloke has been over a few times. We are apparently camping in Home Lagoon--he camps ashore, we'll be staying on the boat. Taking a rubber ducky up for us both to use. Pretty shallow at low tide, apparently. If we are in Home Lagoon, I think I'll be over against the island (Kurrajong?) on the east side of it at night , as winds are forecast NE-SE for at least the first few days.

I copped a 4 hour ride home

Sun, 2019-05-05 19:59

I copped a 4 hour ride home with 25 knots of ne on the nose wed arvo when I did a quick run down that way. It was horrible. 

At least once you are over there even if it’s blowing a cyclone there is plenty of options behind shelter. 

big john's picture

Date Joined: 20/07/06

Home

Sun, 2019-05-05 20:17

Came home on that same day but didn't leave till 3pm. Bloody shit ride, got back to Fortescue ar 6.30pm.

WA based manufacturer and supplier of premium leadhead jigs, fligs, bucktail jigs, 'bulletproof' soft plastic jig heads and XOS bullet jig heads.

Jigs available online in my web store!

You would of been beam onto

Sun, 2019-05-05 20:24

You would of been beam onto it. It was supposed to drop off but just didn’t let off. I got back to fortescue around 3. 

ranmar850's picture

Chianti Bay and Chartreuse Bay/Aden Cove.

Sun, 2019-05-05 20:23

--jeez, these names, early explorers must have had a swim-through. Jokes aside, they look like good anchorages unless it swings around to the north, and even then you might be able to get shelter right up the north hook of Chartreuse.

Robpado's picture

Forgot to add the dates we’re

Mon, 2019-05-06 05:50

Forgot to add the dates we’re going are big tides so hence the reason looking for bays that don’t dry out.  

ranmar850's picture

Can anyone say at what level does the creek dry out?

Wed, 2019-05-08 18:10

I'm talking about the one you have to cross before the rivermouth--can anyone say what tide level, in metres, lets you cross  without drowning your vehicle? We intend to get there on Saturday afternoon, about 3pm, and that is high tide at 3.26 metres. Down to 2.2 by sunset. Will I have to cross in the dark? Low is under a metre around 9pm. Previous low is around 9am, but cant make it by then. 

Only once have I managed to

Wed, 2019-05-08 18:51

Only once have I managed to catch it with water in there and that was top of a big spring. Usually it’s just a trickle across the middle.  My best guess is that was around 4m tide or just under and I only had around 40cm of water to drive through. 

3m or less should be straight through. 

ranmar850's picture

Cheers for that-

Wed, 2019-05-08 19:50

looking Ok for the wind on Sunday and after. Pretty fresh up there ATM. 

Bring it on!

Robpado's picture

How did you go mate good

Thu, 2019-05-16 07:24

How did you go mate good trip?? Any info on where you stayed and the like will be much appreciated. 

ranmar850's picture

Answered it in your other thread

Sun, 2019-05-19 17:46

In the Fishing sub-forum