SE Sport 300 High Performance Hydrofoil

ive been given a se sport hydrofoil and wonder what the pros and cons are, i have a 135 hp mercruiser on my 192 bayliner, any feedback would be good, thanks guys in advance.......

carnarvonite's picture

Date Joined: 24/07/07

Last Resort

Tue, 2014-06-17 19:50

IMO they are the absolute last resort to fix a problem with a boats handling.

With a following sea they give the stern of the boat lift in a time when you least need it, causing many boats to become unstable and broach.

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

Yep agree Carnarvonite, your

Tue, 2014-06-17 20:02

Yep agree Carnarvonite, your boat should be able to be trimmed properly without these add ons. It's more likely you have a weight distribution issue or your donk is too heavy for your boat. 

Love the West!

bayliner's picture

Date Joined: 14/08/12

my mate next door

Tue, 2014-06-17 20:13

found it in a skip where he works, he fitted one to his boat and recons it works great, i dont have any problems that im aware of, my boat seems fine, i dont have weight issues, it seems well balanced................. looks like its going back to the skip!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks guys

Paul H's picture

Date Joined: 18/01/07

If your boat works well

Tue, 2014-06-17 20:30

If your boat works well without the foil then as they say don't fix what's not broke.

Did have a foil on my previous motor and it was fine as far as the boat didn't tend to broach more, my only peeve with it was when trolling it wanted to jump up and plane at low speed so trolling could be a pain to maintain certain speeds. New motor now no foil fitted and don't intend to fit one again.

Have seen other boats that become pigs with a foil fitted -
agree they are close to a last resort.

Youtube Channel  -  FishOnLine Productions

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbUVNa-ViyGm_FTDSv4Nqzg/videos