Seaswirl Striper 2301

Hi everyone,

Interested to hear first hand accounts on this model boat. With an outboard. Anyone own one/ has owned one?

loking at the search function and there seems to be a few in WA but no real solid information. Interested to compare them to a BW. They seem to be a popular boat for the money. $50-60k

Tick most of my boxes, unsure about weight fully loaded- oversize towing? i can tow 3.5 tonne but does this fall into this bracket.

cheers in advance for any info

Aaron

Brucesta's picture

Date Joined: 29/05/09

being yank it'll fall outside

Mon, 2014-06-23 12:20

being yank it'll fall outside of the 2.5m limit meaning permits etc, i was looking at the 2601 model and ahrd to find info, best bet is to secure a trip in one i'd say. from what i have read they are about 2.7T fully loaded with fuel etc from memory, it would be a nice boat with a 250hp on the back

Las Vegas - Rolling the dice and trying your luck. 1M+ Barra summer target. 100kg Black Marlin winter target

seaswirl's picture

Date Joined: 29/08/10

ou

Mon, 2014-06-23 15:41

Had a 2601 pilot house.  Not a bad boat and the weight was just under 3.5 ton.  It was over width.  I felt that it was a bit lite for our conditions. ..but still a very good boat.  I think a Black Watch would be better, which model are you considering ?

AaronC's picture

Date Joined: 26/10/11

2301 Walkaround

Mon, 2014-06-23 19:26

Been looking for a while.

Seen some average ones and good ones. nice one on Gumtree now but slightly overpriced i think by 7-10K.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/heathridge/motorboats-powerboats/seaswirl-striper-2301-walkaround-fishing-boat-loaded-with-extras-/1049889409

You can import them atm with a new trailer for under 50k. with lots of fruit already on them.

Just wanting to know who has one and what they are like.want something more family friendly and to be able to go away to abrolos islands, montes etc

Not that experienced on big glasss boats

JohnF's picture

Date Joined: 07/07/10

Yeah, I went on a 2301 out to

Mon, 2014-06-23 21:40

Yeah, I went on a 2301 out to the fads a year ago, had twin 150's.

Pretty good boat and reasonably priced compared with a Boston Whaler. The finish is not quite as good and the ride is not as good (the Seaswirl feels a lot lighter than my Whaler). Also, the cockpilt is smaller than the 235 Boston Whaler Conquest, but similar to the 255 Conquest (yep, the 255 is smaller than the 235 due to the Euro transom on the 255). Main thing I don't like about the Seaswirl is the Euro transom as it makes jigging around the back hard, but if you dive, this is likely an advantage over the 235 transom.

If your budget was constrained, I would certainly consider a Seaswirl and you will likely be pretty darn happy. If you have an extra $20k, I would search out Whaler 235, I love mine.

John

Boston Whaler 235 Conquest......getting the flogging it was built for.

JohnF's picture

Mon, 2014-06-23 21:41

Date Joined: 28/07/11

I have a 2101DC and love it

Mon, 2014-06-23 21:11

I have a 2101DC and love it for our waters. It may not be a BW but it shits on any local boat for value for money. Check out the Stripers Owners Club website, heaps of good info there. You'll be oversize but under 3t, I'm just over 2T inc trailer weight. You can tow oversize at night now up to 2.7m so that is a bonus.

JohnF's picture

Yeah, oversize is a non issue

Mon, 2014-06-23 21:17

Yeah, oversize is a non issue really, unless you want to go on the freeway, which you cant if your oversize......

straith's picture

Date Joined: 25/11/13

Look up used grady white in

Mon, 2014-06-23 23:03

Look up used grady white in u.s

Prices have gone up and they are very popular but man what a boat!

Use them as the standard to judge all the others. Try get a fresh water one if a bit longer in the tooth.

AaronC's picture

Date Joined: 26/10/11

JohnFI really do preffer the

Tue, 2014-06-24 11:24

JohnF

I really do preffer the BW 2350 they seem a much better baot from all reports. Cant find a bad write up on them, Prefer the layout as well.

Hard decision to choose between the two boats, spend a little more and get a BW or hold back and get a Seaswirl??? Bit concerned a 225/250hp fourstroke might be a little light on for a 23 foot glass boat. How does your go with 3/4 guys on it with gear?

Both have big fuel tanks which is a real positive.

very hard to choose without going on each boat in average conditions. Wife couldnt care either way they are both "pretty"!!!!

pretty sure most of my GPS spots will be a long run away if i cant beach launch which is concerning. However i did watch a BW 2550 launch and retrieve at lano the other day without a tractor.

JohnF's picture

Aaron The BW235 is awesome,

Tue, 2014-06-24 11:52

Aaron

The BW235 is awesome, but you do pay for it. If you have the coin, don't make the compromise, go the BW. If on a budget, the Seaswirl is still a good boat and will do most things.

My 235 has all the fruit and has a 250 Verado. I was worried it would be underpowered, and looked at a 300, but from reports in the states, the 250 is the motor to get as the 300 has a higher gearing and labours more in the mid range where you normally run, has less hole shot and uses more fuel. Mine runs to 37 knots flat knacker, more than enough, on flat days it sits on 30 knots without any fuss, most economical speed is 25 knots which makes for fast trips. The Verado 250 is great, I was very surprised. It has HEAPS of grunt.

I have run with 480 L of juice, 50L of water, 7 people of board plus the cabin full to the brim with luggage for a 2 week stay at Rotto plus 5 bikes, and cruised to Rotto in 20 knot wind reasonably comfortably (as comfortably as 20 knots can ever be...).

I normally fish 3 when jigging or deep drop, 4 when sambo jigging. The 235 has MUCH more space than almost any other fibreglass boat of its size, particularly the American boats, which typically have the Euro transom which is not good for jigging. Still not as much as ali boats, but it has numerous other benefits over ali and I wold never go back to ali now.

I am north of river, you can come out for a fish if ya want, get a first hand look at the boat. Drop mne a pm with your phone number.

I know of one that may be for sale soon.

John

Vinesh87's picture

Date Joined: 02/04/11

Def the glass boat to get

Tue, 2014-06-24 12:32

Def the glass boat to get for sure!

Whats the weight fully loaded?

wangler's picture

Date Joined: 26/04/08

Pursuit boats

Tue, 2014-06-24 12:56

are also very nice and well built

Want to make someone mad... tell a lie! Want to get the world upset... tell the TRUTH !

Dougie

Stevo81's picture

Date Joined: 16/04/12

Pm sent

Wed, 2014-06-25 07:37

Pm sent

••••••••  Electrical Contractor NOR  ••••••••