Hey everybody, first time on this forum. Hoping to head up to Shark Bay with tent and tinny mid July and trying to find out if I need to have a EPIRB or is the Freycinet area considered protected waters?

Have tied to get the info from DoT but waste of time. Thought somebody on this forum might know.


Swompa's picture

Posts: 2444

Date Joined: 14/10/12

In your interest to get one.

Tue, 2018-06-12 12:23

In your interest to get one. There is a whole lot of nothing up there so if you get in the shit, you want to either be able to swim a long way, or know that someone is watching you on the beach.

I had one in the boat and another in the car just in case.

Where are you staying in Tamala? There are a few reports from the area.

Posts: 3

Date Joined: 09/06/18

 Thanks for your input

Tue, 2018-06-12 18:55


Thanks for your input Swompa. Havent finalised camp ground as yet. Ill look for the reports.

kirky79's picture

Posts: 1228

Date Joined: 13/01/12

Tamala in 2 weeks for me

Tue, 2018-06-12 14:28

I'm with Swompa. Take one anyway 

sea-kem's picture

Posts: 11423

Date Joined: 30/11/09

 Lol sounds like a lot of

Tue, 2018-06-12 19:23

 Lol sounds like a lot of boats heading north at the end of the month Kirky.


Love the West!

kirky79's picture

Posts: 1228

Date Joined: 13/01/12

Yeah Andy

Tue, 2018-06-12 20:52

 We have to take the kids out of school early to get a spot. Only a week away, but keen as mustard. Sorry to hear about the car mate. Any news?