Team Bleeding in Two Rocks 3/10/10

Pete, Brad & I already had the car packed for a quick departure @ 4:30am on Sunday, and when I made it there on my scooter, the boat and car were already out the front. Must remember not to pre-pack my fishing overalls, its cold on the scooter that time of day ;)

Up at Two Rocks, there were a few boats on the water already, and the queue was quickly building up. We noticed the cops turn up and pull over too. Paul G, perhaps you can tell us about some ramp violence up that way lately? We launched, and had plans to head North, and to the Outer Bank. Remembering the GPS reset last week, we had to both find the spots AND the fish, so we knew we would be working hard today.

We headed North in some exceptionally sloppy seas and found ourselves alone in on the outer bank. The first drift looked pretty promising with Brad on early, he brought up a nice flathead. A few more drifts and then nothing. Next it was Pete's turn with something punishing him pretty damn hard on the baitcaster, lots of scrabbling around trying to lkeep the butt in the rod bucket. I honestly begin to suspect sambo, but it slows down and we're all left wondering a little longer ... silver then blue, its a huge Queen Snapper, and in no state to return, so its quickly despatched and put into the esky. Brad next is a Big Red Throat Emp, a pretty unusual catch this far South. By now, a couple of lumps later, I'm wondering if jigging works AT ALL! Bah, then Pete gets a ripping run and we think we're onto something good, apart from the 3-way tangle that eventuates, but it turns out to be a big bloody ray and to top it off, I cut Pete off, but get the rest of his rig back, a small win.

Next lump, and Pete brings up a nice legal dhu, then off to for some more prospecting. We pick up a vew good flare on the sounder, and then Pete picks up a small dhu on SP, Brad gets a BA, and I get both a small dhufish and BA on a 7" McArthy Jerk Minnow in Orca and a 1oz nitro head. Nice to get a dhufish on SP, must try and get one a little larger next time though! Actually nice to catch anything after such a slooooooooooow day.

Its getting late and we chat about what to do next and decide to head to near where our mythical lost lump of last weekend is, where point #1 is on the sounder, because at least we can get our arms stretched by the sambos for a little fun. I may yet manage to catch something on jig for the day too... On the way over, we see some better sized tuna, and pick a few off using the plastics we already had rigged. Dropping on the lump, I went back to jigging and expecting Sambos, but I get a really good strike, work hard to get it off the bottom, but its just plodding along, plenty of power though. I get it up, get a little more colour and its a 75cm Dhufish! He took quite a liking to Shout Shab Shab 130g, all silver.

We charge around a little looking for that damn missing lump from last week, but can't find it, on the way back to #1 again, the damn GPS resets AGAIN and we lose the day's points so F U Navman!

petervb's picture

Date Joined: 18/12/09

nice work, never heard of a

Tue, 2010-10-05 09:14

nice work, never heard of a red throat this far south!

MattMiller's picture

Date Joined: 15/06/09

I used to

Tue, 2010-10-05 12:35

work for a bloke who showed me a pic of a Red Throat caught out from Margaret River a few years ago. Funnily enought it was the same year they were catching Spaniards out from Augusta.

Andy Mac's picture

Date Joined: 03/02/06

Thats a BIG redthroat

Tue, 2010-10-05 09:24

Time to change over the GPS by the sounds of it.

Cheers

Andy Mac (Fishwrecked Reeltime Editor & Forum Moderator)

Youngest member of the Fishwrecked Old Farts Club

alfred's picture

Date Joined: 12/01/07

Time for a new sounder

Tue, 2010-10-05 10:22

Time for a new sounder Pete.  Have a GP7000 that will talk to the 585 if you are interested.

scotto's picture

Date Joined: 21/04/08

yeah

Tue, 2010-10-05 10:29

definately a good sized redthroat, and not a bad dhu.  pity about the plotter though

Pete D's picture

Date Joined: 07/06/07

Thanks Jamie - nice write up

Tue, 2010-10-05 10:30

Thanks Jamie - nice write up (flat out here..more bloody work aswell today).

FU Navman - hahaha very true.  Will sort it out soon.

Cracking red throat too - haven't seen them that big up north, let alone down here.

Cheers Pete

soupster51's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/06

Unit

Tue, 2010-10-05 10:36

Good to see you boys got into some fish. Spewen about the Navman. That would do my head in.

The best reason for doing what's right today is tomorrow.

poddyfish's picture

Date Joined: 01/05/07

plotter

Tue, 2010-10-05 11:07

till i had navman/northstar on my old boat in hedland and so did a good mate of mine... both of us had our plotters reset - him twice thus loosing all spots.... a very dejecting time thats for sure....

will never buy another one im afraid

Fear The Spear............! 

Colin Hay's picture

Date Joined: 23/10/07

That is an unusual catch

Tue, 2010-10-05 11:54

Nice report and pics Jamie.

Moderator. Proud member of the Fishwrecked "Old Farts". Make sure your subscribed to Fishwrecked Reeltime http://fishwrecked-reeltime.com/

Seaquest's picture

Date Joined: 22/10/09

Two Rocks seems to have a

Tue, 2010-10-05 12:23

Two Rocks seems to have a few Red Throats around. Have caught a couple myself from there and have heard of many more beening caught over the years. Nothing quite that size though.

Stuffed if I rely on any GPS unit as the one and only place that I have saved GPS co-ords. I have mine on computer(nav planner), written in a book and saved to a spare MMC card. Triple backup. I wouldn't be too happy if I lost 20 odd years of saved co-ords.

Date Joined: 04/12/09

nice red throat, they have

Tue, 2010-10-05 12:26

nice red throat, they have some awesome colours. Your dhu is a lovley feed:)

Forever learning with fishing

Bodie's picture

Date Joined: 05/11/07

well done mate, atleast you

Tue, 2010-10-05 12:31

well done mate, atleast you got to fish!!!

We were out as well, north of two rocks, got 15 or so mile out, and lost all electrics, so had to head back in on the compass!!

Only did a few drfits on some likely ground for a couple bust offs prior to losing everything..

got home... stupid fuse box was all corroded! $13 dollar fix.

Spose thats a good thing i guess.

And to make things worse, one trim tab was almost all the way down, as we were heading side on to the slop... made for a crap trip back thats for sure!

mitch's picture

Date Joined: 14/08/05

navman

Tue, 2010-10-05 12:46

mate had a similar issue with his .turned out it has a little internal battery which had come loose .sent it back to them and they spoted it for free...

Date Joined: 15/12/09

always a good idea to backup

Tue, 2010-10-05 15:09

always a good idea to backup the gps, at least if it fails you can put the marks back in.

grayzeee's picture

Date Joined: 09/07/09

i would have booted the

Tue, 2010-10-05 16:50

i would have booted the plotter into the ocean. no time for that sh!zer.

wow , nice red throat. and good to get onto the dhu at last.

persistence always pays off!

If I spent half as long fishing , as I do reading this bloody forum , I'd be twice the fisherman I am. 

Frank F's picture

Date Joined: 17/03/09

Well done boys and good

Tue, 2010-10-05 17:49

Well done boys and good report Jamie.

allrounder's picture

Date Joined: 10/11/08

Lots of red throats

Tue, 2010-10-05 18:33

around at the right time and if you know where to lookLaughing

So tell me have you got your info from years on the water or hours on the internet?

• was sponsored by Atomic Lures and Shimano but they dropped me.Now sponsored by Fog Dog(The best fish coating out there) and raider lures.

Lucky Tim's picture

Date Joined: 28/11/07

spewing about the gps again

Tue, 2010-10-05 19:42

spewing about the gps again Pete, even after we talked up how we had never had problems with ours last time out.

Hopefully that's the last time it happens.

Faulkner Family's picture

Date Joined: 11/03/08

great write up Till. a

Tue, 2010-10-05 21:51

great write up Till. a couple of nice fish there, give me a red throat for dinner over a dhuie any time.

Pete, i have a humminbird 917c for sale, great gps side of things with a gold card. sounder works good but not as good as the 585. gotta be pi#@ed with the gps by now

RUSS and SANDY. A family that fishes together stays together

NOHA's picture

Date Joined: 24/06/07

Nice red throat

Tue, 2010-10-05 23:19

Best eating of all the "norwest snapper" clan IMHO.. Got them out wide of Kalbarri 65cm 3kg but they get to 9kg apparently. Got a few south of Rottnest before but they where not as big as that one of yours.

Twin turbo..V8 diesel..Ohh what a feeling!!

No Orange Hats Allowed

Auslobster's picture

Date Joined: 03/05/08

Good one Jamie!

Wed, 2010-10-06 05:59

Well done on the dhuie, although it sounds as if there was more action on the bait for the best part of the day. Still have yet to get a legal fish on the McArthy's, up here in Jurien for another few days so maybe maybe.

Tough luck about the plotter, Pete...time for a new one, life's too short to be losing your spots and then having to search for them again!

Pete D's picture

Date Joined: 07/06/07

Yeah, new GPS is required. 

Thu, 2010-10-07 21:32

Yeah, new GPS is required.  Must admit though, I have had that unit for at least 11 years.  It survived 4 years in the Territory aswell...never had a problem with it.

Cheers Pete