Tworocks 5th Jan 2015 - Nice diversity on jig!!

With yesterdays forecast looking sweet I decided to head up to Tworocks (demersal jigging) and spend the day on the water plus escape the heat!

I took out my good mate Scott (FW - Soupster51) and on the way up Scott was saying I haven't caught a bluespot flathead on jig for ages and I havnt caught a KG or baldy on jig .... ever!

I said I have and you never know today could be your day. Who would of thought before lunch time he would have ticked off all these species on jig and Scott also got into multiple blackarse (1 big one) and 6kg dhufish keeper!

I ended up with multiple dhufish and the one pictured was my biggest ..... geez that fish went hard in 40m and on jig!

I ended up with several sambos on jig also (some solid fish landed), bluespot flathead and a " surprise "!

We bagged out on jig by lunchtime and the esky was looking very healthy I will say!

Whilst we were drifting, we contemplating going in but the wind backed off so why not hang out on the water!

We had seen many birds working and bait fish in the 40's, I said to Scott lets go and have a quick cast probably southern bluefin tuna but I said I cant see any on the surface?

Within seconds the birds & bait had come to my boat and underneath/all around we had a big school of dolphin fish (small fish) hang .... wow in 40m of water (metro)

I grabbed my spin stick with a twisty and first cast dolly ...... the school moved on and another cast at another bait ball got me a southern bluefin tuna!

Plenty of fish were caught on jig, great weather, awesome session and cheers Scott for being apart of it!!

We ended up with (approximately) 12 x dhufish  3 x blackasre 3 x sambos 1 x KG 2 x Blluespot flathead (all on jig) and 1 x dolphinfish 1 x southern bluefin tuna on metal twisty!

If your needing any demersal jigs, gear, advice or info on techniques ... pop in and my staff are happy to help!

Cheers

Date Joined: 26/04/14

targeting flattys on jig

Tue, 2015-01-06 17:05

targeting flattys on jig what will they think of next . how long did that dhu measure looks impressive

uncle's picture

Date Joined: 10/02/07

Looks like you had

Tue, 2015-01-06 18:35

A great day, nice big black silver fish by any name

all aggressive fish love bigjohnsjigs

uncle's picture

Date Joined: 10/02/07

Double

Tue, 2015-01-06 18:37

all aggressive fish love bigjohnsjigs

Date Joined: 14/09/13

good stuff mate, my new years

Tue, 2015-01-06 19:19

good stuff mate, my new years resolution is to get a fish on a jig so send some good vibes my way and if you ever sell your gps sounder i have first dibs , just ldont wipe all your spots haha

tim-o's picture

Date Joined: 24/05/11

Dream sesh!

Tue, 2015-01-06 19:56

I hope one day to be able to bag out on a variety of demersals then hit up some pelagics in the one sesh, awesome fellas!

I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.

Boydy's picture

Date Joined: 26/09/12

Cool

Tue, 2015-01-06 20:39

Good to see some variety on the jigs.
Always good set a target and hit the mark.
Nice work.

Bones76's picture

Date Joined: 03/11/08

Nice dhu mate

Tue, 2015-01-06 21:27

Nice dhu mate

soupster51's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/06

Awesome Day

Wed, 2015-01-07 07:22

Yep an awesome day. The aim was to get a Baldie on jig, not a bad problem to have when you tick off a couple of other quality firsts as well. Not to mention the multiple dhus and BA.

Seeing the mahi and tuna brought great memories of another life, the icing on the cake.

Thanks for a great day. Let's catch up for a feed soon.

The best reason for doing what's right today is tomorrow.

GGs's picture

Date Joined: 06/09/14

Nice variety

Wed, 2015-01-07 10:16

Cant beat a day out when you catch that sort of variety.

Flatties really love the jigs especially the haoli kings which it looks like in the second pic. We have a little dhu honeyhole out from geography bay that has a serious flatty problem where if you drop down a haoli king it either loads up on a dhu or you get a little tap tap and can almost guarante is a bluespot.

Bodie's picture

Date Joined: 05/11/07

Nice day out Ryan, sounds

Thu, 2015-01-08 08:51

Nice day out Ryan, sounds almost exactly the same as ours on Sunday, except we didn't get the nice conditions!

Jigged all day out in the 40's landing plenty of dhus, pinks, and a couple baldys

We did the exact same thing with the Southern blue fin tuna, and had the exact same experience with the dollys, had a school of pups swim around the boat for 15 minutes or so, but couldn't get one to take anything!

Well done again Ryan

crasny1's picture

Date Joined: 16/10/08

well done again

Thu, 2015-01-08 13:48

BUT Soopy - your face makes mine hurt - nobody HAS a Smile THAT big!!!!!

"I would like to die on Mars. Just not on impact!!" _ Elon Musk

shabba's picture

Date Joined: 26/02/08

Sounds like an awesome day

Thu, 2015-01-08 15:32

Sounds like an awesome day on the water. Congrats soupy on ticking a few off your list, great skippering again Ryan, 2 put your deckys on 2 fish.... Good stuff boys ...