What is a tenbin and how do you use it?

Hey guys,

I am very new to the jigging game and wanted to know what the heck a tenbin is and how it is used, I have seen one on this sight


Also check out the jigs as they are half the prie of any store in Oz and excellent to deal with.

Any information is appriciated.



"I don't make much of a living, but I make a hell of a life"

alfred's picture

Posts: 3097

Date Joined: 12/01/07

The tenbin is a stiff wire

Mon, 2011-05-23 21:45

The tenbin is a stiff wire that is connected to the leader on one end and the trace with hook on there other.  Traditionally its used with a weight in the center and it's used for deep water, bottom fishing.  The modern adaptation of it used a jig as the weight.


The first ones were made with animal horns, cut into long strips with mono loops tied on at the ends and one in the center for the weight.


As horn got harder to get, they stared to use 1000lb test mono as the shaft and tied mono loops to it.


The commercial version is made of wire.


This type of rig allows a fast drop into deep water with less tangles.


I might have all three types somewhere in the shed, if i can find it I will post a picture tomorrow.

Uluabuster's picture

Posts: 712

Date Joined: 12/12/10

I think it is called rangong

Sat, 2011-06-18 21:48

I think it is called rangong in the Malaysian language and it is used as a bottom bashing tool in the local fishing community. It is also known as a "spreader" as it spreads the mainline from the leader, thereby reducing tangling of the long leader from the mainline especially in fast flowing current, as alfred has indicated.

It was used to be made of buffalow horns. Strong and yet flexible. It is now made up SS wire.

Try keying " spreader for bottom fishing" or " rangong" in google image and you would be able to see the different types of this spreader.


Posts: 23

Date Joined: 26/04/11

Thanks for your help guys

Thu, 2011-06-23 19:18



"I don't make much of a living, but I make a hell of a life"