10m boat collides with whale. 20-06-2011

These boys were VERY lucky they were in a multihull!

They had to travel in reverse so it didnt sink!

http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/national/watch/25668819/

(just stay with the video.....there's a 15 second add that starts prior to the news story of the collision.)

Cheers.

Browny.

I just love Exmouth: Its a quaint little drinking town with a fishing problem!

Date Joined: 10/06/09

would have been scarey at

Mon, 2011-06-20 20:06

would have been scarey at night

getting the bottom line final answer from a bunch of blokes that use false names and put smiley faces at the end of paragraphs is not the best place in the world to get the information you seek.

Alan James's picture

Date Joined: 30/06/09

Scary yes, sinking I don't think so

Mon, 2011-06-20 20:25

Look at the foam in the exposed sponson. 

Anthony Hall 87's picture

Date Joined: 09/01/10

Good luck sinking that, my

Mon, 2011-06-20 20:57

Good luck sinking that, my hull is ex rescue and filled with foam. When I got my new motors put on my cat the apprentice put one hatch on the back and the mechanic the other. Apprentice didn't put silicone around the one he put on, noticed on the way back in the hull had a nice lean (been 60km out to sea!). One of the sponsons had a shitload of water in it (Pretty close to full).

Lets just say I wasn't happy!! Pretty sure they are unsinkable with the foam, doesn't mean I want to find out though!!

Tight lines to all :)

carnarvonite's picture

Date Joined: 24/07/07

Replacement boat

Tue, 2011-06-21 09:37

Would be interested in seeing what they replace the cat with seeing as Naiads are in great demand over east where cats used to be the norm.

Could be wrong but I think there is only 2 sea rescue groups in the west with a cat on the water or on order the rest have either Naiads or Air riders

Tony Halliday's picture

Date Joined: 14/06/07

question should be how would

Tue, 2011-06-21 10:59

question should be how would a single hull Naiad or Air Rider or other would have done?

A cat is much quicker in reverse than a mono hull!

Tony Halliday: ~Meals on Reels ~

It takes a strong fish to swim against the current. Even a dead one can float with it

"It is always in season for old men to learn." Aeschylus (525-456 BC)

"In a mad world only the mad are sane." Akira Kurosawa (1910-1998)

Iceman's picture

Date Joined: 17/03/09

Naiad said to be unslinkable

Tue, 2011-06-21 12:04

we were advised that our 11m Naiad is unsinkable. Hull is filled with foam and inflated collar would assist with keeping it afloat. Also has manual bilge pump if needed. Hoping never to test it.

Smartline Personal Mortgage Advisers - Level 1, 11 Hobsons Gate Currambine 

Either way the whale would

Tue, 2011-06-21 11:38

Either way the whale would have a serious headache

Canarvonite just curious how do these boats compare to cats and why the change?? I have personally never been on one, I am guessing the lower gunells would have something to with it. Are they practicle as a fishing boat?

Iceman's picture

11m Naiad

Tue, 2011-06-21 12:10

Anthony

we Whitfords Sea Rescue) have a 11m Naiad and found it to be much better than the cat we previously had. I was out last Thursday assist with Whale rescue. We went 18nm in swells estimated to be 4.5 to 5m and we were able to maintain 20-25 knots. We have had it out in some very bad conditions and handle it very well. Also very dry boat given the new design and collar.

Not sure about fishing but would get you there with speed and comfort.

Date Joined: 01/02/10

I would imagine the

Tue, 2011-06-21 12:24

I would imagine the construction of a naiad or airrider would take the impact without major hull damage.

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

Sounds like a pretty mean

Tue, 2011-06-21 12:26

Sounds like a pretty mean rig.

Have to run over the whale next time and post the outcome!!

Do they run outboards on those beasts??

Iceman's picture

Outboards

Tue, 2011-06-21 12:28

Got twin 350hp V8 yammies - does 47 knots. being 6 ton would not want to test it at that speed against a whale.

I remember seeing a picture of an ali boat that hit a whale of exmouth. Put a nice dent in it but did not puncture the hull.

Good to know you guys would

Tue, 2011-06-21 12:36

Good to know you guys would be out there in a hurry if anything ever went wrong

That's heavier than I thought

Tue, 2011-06-21 12:37

That's heavier than I thought it would be. Had a play with Broomes 8.5m on Sunday. They seem like an impressive rig.

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

carnarvonite's picture

10 metre Naiad

Tue, 2011-06-21 13:48

When doing the trip from Fremantle to Carnarvon with our new 10 metre Naiad we had a strong wind warning for the whole trip, day one to Dongara then day two including a refuel at Gero through to Denham, another refuel for the last small step to home.  All up 22 hours, 514nm and around 1100 litres of fuel. It is fitted with twin 300 Yammies and has n't been run flat out as yet but 47 knots is reached without really trying.

While being very sloppy and the only calm bits being through Steep Point to Denham and on to Cape Peron we were more than happy with its performance and handling especially in the channel across the the top of Peron with 2.5 metre seas about 12 metres apart resulting in us crashing through one and landing on the next one at ten knots.

If I had the funds to own and run one as a personal boat it would be first choice, comfortable and safe ride, veeerrry dry and stable at rest with the collars just in to the water providing even more stability.The electronics, all Furuno, are top notch with radar being able to be overlaid on the gps page at the same time.

At 25 knots we use around 60-62 ltres an hour giving a safe range of 200+nm using the third/third /third rule.

Mmmmm one powerball hey!! 

Tue, 2011-06-21 16:13

Mmmmm one powerball hey!!

Or dedicate a few hours to

Tue, 2011-06-21 16:33

Or dedicate a few hours to doing your bit for the boating community....

carnarvonite's picture

Volunteers

Tue, 2011-06-21 17:17

All of the groups, whether they are affiliated with VRMA or not always need volunteers either as radio ops or to train as boat crews.

Like us up here their members are usually retired and  find it hard to cope with long and tiring searches, so younger , fitter vollies are welcome. Most of the training is done ïn house" and all the certificates and sea time are recordable towards commersial qualification.

I would love too if I had

Tue, 2011-06-21 23:13

I would love too if I had more time fella's guess you hear that from everybody though!! I currently work a 7/7 roster away but have devoted a lot of time at work and on break to mine rescue. Not doing that with the new job though, just learning the ropes at a new mine before I get involved. I am also studying part time which makes it hard.

I would be very interested in getting involved though when things settle down. I am SOR and don't really know anybody involved insea rescue. Had boats for a few years but wouldn't call myself experiened by a long stretch!!

What is need to get involved?? I really have no idea what is involved as a volly but would be interested as I am sure any others would.

I have occupational first aid qual from mine rescue if that counts for anything?  Would be interesting to know a few things might drum up more interest from a few forum members.

carnarvonite's picture

Rockingham

Wed, 2011-06-22 05:37

You could drop in to Rockingham or Fremantle groups and have a word with them, all groups have different procedures and needs but with your qualification a spot on one of the boats looks a certainty.

Rod P's picture

Date Joined: 20/05/08

Carnarvonite did you actually

Thu, 2011-06-23 14:37

Carnarvonite did you actually do the trip up? Sounded like a dozzy. My mate from Niad took it up with two vollies..He had a ball..

carnarvonite's picture

Trip up

Thu, 2011-06-23 21:38

Left Ciccerello's jetty about 1200 on the Saturday arvo , got to Dongara 2200, left Dongara 0700 on the Sunday morning and stopped in to Gero to refuel. Left Gero around 1200 and got through Steep point and in to Denham 2100.  After refueling we had a liesurely drive for the last leg home.

All up 22.5 hours and 512nm using about 1100 litres. Not a trip I'd do again [done 6-7 so far] but for someone who hasn't it would be an experience. We had a strong wind warning current for the whole 3 days of the trip and the boat handled it easily

Rod P's picture

Date Joined: 20/05/08

Toddy did say it was

Fri, 2011-06-24 10:38

Toddy did say it was bumpy..He loves little adverntures like that. Did he tell you about his trip through the North in a 5mtr cc?